NSA220 Plus Drive Replacement

Marvell Orion based
xrobc

NSA220 Plus Drive Replacement

Post by xrobc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:24 am

Hi

I've been the owner of an NSA220 Plus for several years.

The 2 x Samsung 1TB drives (working as a RAID pair) that I put in originally have now been filled so I have now got 2 x Seagate 2TB drives (brand new).

However, when I fit them and power up the unit, it does not boot up and connect to my network.

The unit appears to be working correctly, as when I put the original 1TB drives back in my drive mappings are restored and I can log into the web utility and the device appears to work normally again.

I've tried the discovery utility but it is not visible in there with either set of drives in.

Thanks

Rob

Mijzelf

Re: NSA220 Plus Drive Replacement

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 pm

The NAS has a part of the firmware compressed in flash, and decompresses that on harddisk to be able to use it. On firmware 2.10 (the latest I have used) a ramdisk was used when no harddisk was available. Later firmwares used better compression (lzma vs gzip) to get more in the 16MB flash. It is possible that in that case the box cannot longer boot to (web)gui without disk, as there is not enough memory available for the ramdisk. (The box has 128MB ram, from which about 64MB is necessary to run the webserver&friends.

ZyXEL used to provide (windows) software to initialize the harddisk. In that case no webinterface is necessary, and so it needs less memory. Maybe that is the discovery utility you are referring to.
If that doesn't work, not even if the webinterface is available, you can try to switch off your firewall.

xrobc

Post by xrobc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi, I'm just catching up with this (not been well)

I initialized the drives in Windows using a USB hard drive dock. I can't find any Zyxel tool for doing starting the device.

I'm currently running firmware version 3.25(AFG.0).

Would I be better off replacing one drive and repairing the RAID array before replacing the second drive and doing the same. I could then presumably expand the array to use the whole 2TB?

Thanks

Rob

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 pm

xrobc wrote:I can't find any Zyxel tool for doing starting the device.
I think it's NSA-220%20Plus_1.02(NDUClient).zip.
Would I be better off replacing one drive and repairing the RAID array before replacing the second drive and doing the same. I could then presumably expand the array to use the whole 2TB?
That is the recommended way to enlarge a raid array without loosing data.

xrobc

Post by xrobc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi, I'm still having trouble with this one.

I have replaced one of the drives and the NSA seems to be working. I did log into the device via the web portal and it said it was recovering. When fully recovered I attempted to replace the second drive.

The NSA would still not start up.

Having replaced the second new drive with the original drive my Windows mappings have re-connected to the appropriate shares so in that respect the device is working. However, I cannot log in to the web portal, it says "Failed to log in". The username and password are correct (I use an auto-fill that I know is correct). I have tried it in Chrome and IE, the result is the same.

I also tried the startup utility, when I click on manage the device to just takes me to the same log in screen that doesn't work.

Really getting annoyed with this now and really short on disc space. Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm

You can't login, but if you remove the new disk you can? Strange. The login credentials are stored in flash, and so the disk shouldn't matter.

Does the new disk take more power than the old one? In that case maybe the power supply can't deliver enough juice, which can cause strange errors.