General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No network on NSA220plus
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hi,

I can no longer access my NAS, neither shares nor web access. I have a suspecion that this happened during a thunderstorm where a lightning Struck very close to where I live.

I've tested with different cables and wifi routers, and the assigned ports on the routers show no network traffic. Apparantly the unit boots fine and discovers the HDD - the LEDs on the front panel indicate that.

I have about 1,5 TB data on the disk, but using win7 I'm only able to see the partitions on the disk and not browse them. I've tried Linux Reader and Ext2Explorer, but neither of those are able to access the partition containing data, only the partition containing the OS.

I contacted Zyxel who informs me that I need an identical unit to retreive the data from the disk, but the NSA 220-Plus no longer sold.

So my question is, how can I extract the data from the disk, or alternatively, where do I get my hands on another unit?

I really hope that someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

BR.
Lars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:35 pm 

As far as I know all 220's use ReiserFS for the data partition, except maybe the latest firmwares. (Hans Reiser is convicted for murder in 2008, and left this filesystem unmaintained. So in 2008 and later it vendors started to replace it). When the disk is already formatted, installing a new firmware won't change the filesystem. As far as I know there are no Windows tools which can read this filesystem.

So to read the disks you'll have to connect them to a Linux system. Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD or - USB stick will do. Maybe you'll have to install reiserfs or reisertools to get the disk mounted, as I don't know if a modern Linux distro will support it out of the box.

And about buying a 220, well, you can only get one 2nd hand. (Although a quick search on ebay shows a new one). But as far as I know any dual slot ZyXEL nas should accept that disks. My '325 still supports ReiserFS, and the only reason for that I can think of is to be able to use '220 disks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:40 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
My '325 still supports ReiserFS

This is excellent news. I was actually thinking of buying this unit as replacement.

Thanks for your answer!

Br.
Lars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:46 pm 

By the way, Mijzelf, is it possible to set up the 325, so you can use the disk with Windows without the NAS box?

I guess that converting the disk format would mean to format it and loose all data, right?

I'm just downloading Ububtu to see if I'm able to access the files from there.

BR.
Lars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 pm 

Quote:
is it possible to set up the 325, so you can use the disk with Windows without the NAS box?
My 325 uses ext3 for the data partition, and there are Windows tools which can read that. Maybe newer firmwares will use ext4, which is a bit more complicated, but still readable for some Windows tools. (UFSexplorer for instance).
But when a type 2.x raid is used, it can become more complicated. My box used type 0.99, which is transparent, but cannot be resized above 2TB. Maybe newer firmwares use type 2.x for that reason. Don't know if there are Windows tools which can find the filesystem on that.

And yes, as far as I know there is no conversion tool from ReiserFS to ext3/4, so changing the filesystem will destroy your data.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 pm 

Ok, I've only been using it for a single disc and not a raid. I just hope that the 325 can read the data, so I can transfer it to another disc and then format the old one. I'd hate to be in this situation again, so it would be nice with something that Windows could read.

Br.
Lars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:26 am 

Hi again,

I bought the nsa325, and it reads the disc perfectly. There were some private shares on the disc on the nsa220plus, that were inaccessible, but I was able to configure those through the web admin.

Thanks a lot for the tip:-)

Br.
Lars