General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:33 pm 

Dear Support

I have to vent my disappointment that I lost my data on a NAS-220 despite RAID-1 and healthy disks.

What happened. I use a NSA-220 since a few years and defined Raid-1 on it (2x500GB disk mirrored). I was using it constantly and share access was fine. Lately the Web-Frontend became unavailable lately. While I still could connect to the shares I knew the password of, I could not administer the device anymore. The WebUI stopped working. I got the login-URL but no login-screen – and hence I could not check the health status of the disks anymore. :twisted:

Not being able to check the health of the RAID is not a sustainable situation. After multiple attempts with shutting down etc. I finally pressed the rest button as it says. http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/Reset_button “Reset to factory defaults (data on disk(s) remain untouched)”

What happened : I can now logon to the NAS, The RAID-1 still shows healthy. Storage space is shown as 340GB used (about what I expected it to be) . I see the default shares (music, video etc) – but no means to access the other shares I created like “\shared”, \bruno, \Andreas etc,
I brought the devise to the computer store (STEG computer in Switzerland) asking to retrieve data from shares \Andreas, \Bruno etc.

The feedback I got was : We cannot recover the data, not even a “Sorry” :o

So, how come, there is a device, technicaly ok, 2 functioning disks in it, RAID-1, still showing 340GB space used, a working Webfront-end – and the dats is lost. :cry: :cry:

I guess this is the last time ever I purchased a Zyxel System if it fails on the basic capability of a NAS : reliability. Apparently I lost the data due to a SW bug in Zyxel.

in sorrow
Bruno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 am 

First: Raid1 is *not* a backup. If your data is valuable, you should have a backup.

Have a look in your shares menu, and see if you can re-activate the shares. I'm sure that works on firmware 4.5+, but the last firmware of the '220 is 3.x, so I'm not sure about your box.

Rationale: By doing a factory reset you have deleted all user settings, including the names of the shares. A share consists of 2 parts, a directory on the disk, and information in a database about the name, the owner, .... You deleted the database, not the directory.

If you cannot re-activate it, you'll have to open a shell. You can use the Telnet backdoor for that, or an FFP stick. Login over telnet (for Windows you can use PuTTY for that) and execute
Code:
cd /i-data/md0/
ls
Now you should see the directories belonging to your shares, and belonging to your lost shares. You can move the lost shares inside -for instance- the admin share
Code:
mv bruno admin/
mv Andreas admin/
BTW, this is case sensitive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 am 

Hi Mijzelf

thank you, it worked. :D

together with the instructions on http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/Telnet_backdoor how to retrieve the NsaRescueAngel password.

kind regards
Bruno