FFP on NSA-220 in 8 easy steps.

Marvell Orion based
Mijzelf

FFP on NSA-220 in 8 easy steps.

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 pm

This information is deprecated. For a new version I refer to this thread.

1) Plug an USB stick of at least 64MB in your NSA-220.
(Bigger is better, I suppose an USB harddisk will work either, but I didn't test)
2) Use the Webinterface to login to your box as admin.
3) Goto Administration->Storage
4) Use the 'Create an External Volume' button to change the filesystem of the stick to EXT2. This step will destroy all data on the stick.
Filesystems EXT3 or ReiserFS are OK too. Give the volume a nice name, FFP for instance.
5) The volume should be accessable via Samba. Extract the contents of ffp_for_NSA-220.2.zip to this share.
6) Download fun_plug.tgz here, and copy it to the share too.
The share should contain 6 files now.
7) In the webinterface goto Shutdown->Restart.
8) Wait until the box has rebooted. Done!

The tgz files should be disappeared, and the directory /ffp should be filled with Fonz' wonderful stuff. And the box should run a telnet server now.

To enable an ssh server:
telnet to the device
type
chmod a+x /ffp/start/sshd.sh
/ffp/start/sshd.sh start

After a while the ssh server should be started. Try if it works. You have got two logins: root password root and user password user.
If it works, login as root and type
/sbin/reboot

The box should reboot. If the ssh server is in the air again, you can disable the telnet server:
chmod a-x /ffp/start/telnetd.sh

For more information about ffp I refer to Howto ffp, and to a forum full discussions about ffp packages

A warning: some of Fonz' packages contain DNS-323 specific stuff. I think it's *not* a good idea to try them on your NSA-220, especially not the tools which deal with the flash memory, like store-passwd.sh

Edit: Uploaded a new version, which deals with needed files in /etc, and /sbin/nologin in /etc/passwd is exchanged with /ffp/bin/false
Last edited by Mijzelf on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

alohre

Re: FFP on NSA-220 in 8 easy steps.

Post by alohre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:25 pm

perfect! works like a charm. Only problem so far is that it doesnt resolve dns queries, no luck with a custom resolv.conf either. Any idea ?

alohre

Post by alohre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:35 pm

doh, made the resolv.conf file in the /ffp/etc folder, should be placed in the /etc folder. works now.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:50 am

Maybe I've been a bit too enthousiastic in cleaning up (or not populating) /etc. The original non-chrooted /etc is bound to /etc/orig. You can find all files you're missing here.
Please let me know when you find more files which are indispensable. I'll face this in an update.

alohre

Post by alohre » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:31 pm

This may just be the package i used, but when installing transmission, su complained about a missing /sbin/nologin , changed the user running the daemon to root and the problem went away.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Did you use the Transmission for ffp package? Maybe you'll have to set the su SUID bit?

BTW, Fonz told me /etc should also contain protocols, services and hosts.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm

I could reproduce your error. The line which gave an error was something like
su nobody command

You'll have to edit /etc/passwd and exchange in nobody's line /sbin/nologin (which doesn't exist and cannot be added either) by /ffp/bin/false

I updated ffp_for_NSA-220.zip.

alohre

Post by alohre » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:39 pm

ah, I just switched to run it as root, but this seems like a lot safer option :)

alohre

Post by alohre » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:30 pm

have you managed to install rar on the nsa ? I have tried the arm port from the rarsoft site, but it sefgaults on run, so no go :/

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm

You can find unrar here:
http://linux.yes.nu/ffp-0.5/packages/

Superkikim

Move FFP on local disk

Post by Superkikim » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi there.

I have a tiny i-Disk USB key. Very small :-) but only 512KB. As I wanted to use this one for FFP, and it is too small if I install many packaged (If you install all packages, it can raise a lot higher), I have decided to move ffp to the hard drive. How do you do that ?

once ffp is ready and working (end of eight steps above), your hard drives will be mounted in /i-data

Choose a hard drive you recognize (just look at the content. I use JBOD. I don't know how will be the labels if you have chosen RAID). I my case,I have 4 labels in i-data: md0 for the 1st drive (corrresponding to 1776811d) and md1 for the second drive (ccadae13). As I have doubt about the md0 and md1 labels (sometimes it behave strangely), I choose the hard label. Anyway, once you have chosen your drive (let's say 1776811d):

telnet or ssh to the NAS.

Create a target folder on the hard drive:

Code: Select all

mkdir /i-data/1776811d/ffp                ' remember 1776811d is just an example

Copy the content of the original ffp folder to the new one:

cp /ffp/* /i-data/1776811d/ffp/ -R
Rename the original ffp folder:

mv /ffp /ffp_old
Create a symbolic link called ffp to the new folder:

ln -s /i-data/1776811d/ffp /ffp
Reboot the NAS.

Once it has rebooted, you can telnet or ssh in it again and delete the ffp_old folder:

rm -fR /ffp_old
This works great.

I recommend that you backup the ffp folder then on your second drive if you didn't use RAID, or on your computer local drive. Simply tar it to an existing share (you will find folder on the same drives. These folders are your shares), and move the tar file wherever you want.

Superkikim

Re: Move FFP on local disk

Post by Superkikim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Superkikim wrote: Create a target folder on the hard drive:

mkdir /i-data/1776811d/ffp                ' remember 1776811d is just an example

Copy the content of the original ffp folder to the new one:

cp /ffp/* /i-data/1776811d/ffp/ -R
Rename the original ffp folder:

mv /ffp /ffp_old
Create a symbolic link called ffp to the new folder:

ln -s /i-data/1776811d/ffp /ffp
Reboot the NAS.
Now what !!! I try to repeat it, but it doesn't work !!! I hate that !

Superkikim

Post by Superkikim » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Ok. I get it.

I made the symbolic link to ffp through the drive symbolic link (md0). I guess this path is created AFTER ffp is started. Therefore it doesn't work. It needs to go through the mounting point (117...... in my case)