General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NSA 220 Unreachable
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:53 pm 

Hi

I've had my NSA 220 for about 2 years now.. I've rarely used it, only turned it on about once/twice a month. The NSA220 suddenly started displaying an Unreachable message in the past 2 weeks on the NSA Discovery Utility program and I cannot connect to the server name or the static ip address.

I've done some looking online and came across this page (http://www.zyxel.com/support/knowledge_ ... 9534.shtml) which would suggest the firmware may be corrupted. I've tried to follow the instructions but am not having much luck getting anything to display on the TFTP server or Telnet session.

Has anyone else had this problem or managed to recover their unit from this state or can I get some recommendations on what to try next?

Would be pretty disappointed if this was the end of the unit considering how little I've used. These units should be manufactured to be left on a lot longer than what I used them for.

Thanks for any help!
P

Post subject: Re: NSA 220 Unreachable
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm 

That knowledge article is quite dangerous. It doesn't tell how to connect the serial cable to the NAS, nor does it say a level converter is needed.

Anyway, have you tried to remove the disk(s) and then reach to the NAS? I think the power supply and the disk(s) are the most fragile parts of the whole unit.

BTW, my 220 is more than 3 years old, and still going strong, so the box has no build-in kill switch, or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm 

Hi Mijzelf

Thanks for the reply. I've had some more luck with the device. I removed both hard drives and could connect to the NSA220. I added one hard drive back in and again could connect. I took it out and added in the 2nd hard drive - no problem seen.

However when I add both hard drives back in, although I can connect, I can't 'see' both hard drives. The hard drives are listed in the Storage -> Volume page, but when I point Explorer to the root, I only get folders for one hard drives (let's call it HD1). I switched the physical locations of the hard drives in the NSA220 but still could only see HD1 in Explorer. Before all this trouble started I could see folders from both hard drives without an issue using Explorer.

Any idea what could be wrong here? I had a poke around the webpage gui but couldnt see anything that would suggest that HD2 was hidden.

Thanks again for help!
Cheers
P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 am 

Can you see the shares on HD2 when only HD2 is connected? If yes, I'd say the powersupply is aging, and can't feed two disks anymore. If no, I think the disk has become faulty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm 

I actually got everything work again...

Using the webpage GUI I noticed the shares on one of the hard drives were Disabled. Enabling these shares again allowed me to access all the content.
Thanks Mijzelf for the help