General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:30 am 

I updated my NSA-220 in attempt to get it to stream mp4, m4v, avi etc to my TV over the network. I got it running on 3.24 firmware now, thanks to Mijzelf!

Still, when attempting to access my NSA-220 media server from my Sony BluRay BDP-S580(via wifi), I'm seeing some weird stuff?
The folders that are visible form the BluRay player are different than the folders on my NSA-220. My BluRay shows folders, but can't seem to find any viewable files. I found an option in the NSA media server tab to rebuild the database, but that did nothing for me.

Any experience with this issue? other DLNA clients? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm 

zeblis wrote:
other DLNA clients?
You could try an FFP-stick with miniDLNA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions.

So I tried XBMC client on my computer. When I browsed my network for servers, I discovered the ZyXel was storing all movies on a windows SMB share, which apparently was not visible to the UPnP server. In other words, when I loaded the SMB share i could access all the files. When I connected to the UPnP, there were no files.

I guess I have to figure how out how to move my files onto the UPnP...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 pm 

Update:

After I reformatted the drives in my NSA-220, my BluRay was able to see the files and stream them over the network.

Apparently these system created shares are the shares that are visible to the DLNA clients. I recall at one time, I deleted the "video" and "photo" shares that were system created and then I manually created my own to replace them. This messed something up. However I didn't realize it till I was actually using this as a media server.

I'm not sure why this is the case. But a heads up to anyone else who might be going through this. I'm just glad It's over.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:29 am 

Update again!

So I went ahead and transferred the rest of my files to the NSA to the pre-defined folder. When I finished, I went to my BluRay to enjoy some streaming movies. Low and behold, browsing my NSA-220 media server, yielded no playable files. ? ? ? ? I'm stumped. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:08 am 

update again:

FYI: apparently, it may have something to do with the limitations on my DNLA client's ability to display a limited amount of folders. If I publish all my shares on my media server, it picks up some files and not others. This is also impacted by running an iTunes server or not. I've found that to watch my movies, I need to unpublish everything except the share hosting my movies. Kinda weird, but ok??? I guess that works.

Thanks again All!