General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm 

Hi @all,

first i want to thank the board members for the support and particularly those guys from funplug and those who wrote the helpful tutorials about it.
A short version of my question:

Where does the NAS/funplug usually mount the external drives? To /e-data/...? I want to move stuff around and cannot find the content anywhere. the "df" command says it is there and mounted to /e-data/... - but it is just an empty folder?! The WebUI (partly) lists the data on the drive, but incomplete ( :| ). Even the Copy/Sync button default action works, so the data should be somewhere! What am i doing wrong? Any hints or suggestions?

more details about the problem:

Got my NSA220+ almost 2 years ago and used it mainly for backup purposes - well occasionally as dlna streaming server also. I must confess i was and am pretty disappointed concerning the x-fer speeds (1.5MB/s with samba, and later 2.0MB/s with nfs), but this is another story. Now, to avoid spending 3 days to transfer a bunch of clonezilla system backup images in the order of ~100Gig from my Ubuntu machine i copied them over to my 100GB external USB drive and wanted to move them from there to the NSA via the second USB port because i hope this would be quicker.
But now i am unable to locate the mount point the NSA is giving the USB device internally, or get a proper listing of the content via ssh connection. This use case was the reason why i installed funplug0.5 in the first place (not because i like to play around with geeky embedded linux features of course ;) ), to have more flexibility concerning file management and samba/nfs shares on the device.
The webui claims that my drive is mounted to /e-data/xxxx-some-uid-xxxxxx but cli tells me that it is completely empty - no "ls" with options, nothing. "du" also says it is 1k big. I searched for content via "find" command, again nothing. No way to get access to the usb drive via console.
But the funny thing is, that the Copy/Sync button action actually has full access to the data, so it is there somewhere. Yesterday night i started it to test whether it copies an empty folder or something. No, it does it as if nothing was wrong- unfortunately my power management setup shut it down an hour later, so it was incomplete this morning. But anyway, i did'nt want to have the full disk copied over whatsoever.
Every other linux box i tested does also have full data access on the usb drive, so data integrity should not be the problem (did a ext2fs check just to be sure - no errors).
Why do it not use the webui to copy/move things? Well, because it is not versatile and quick enough imho., and the folder listing is also incomplete as i said earlier. I haven't used the NSA for over a year, so i am unsure whether i just do not remember where to search for the drive - but i do remember it was working as expected in the past. Any clues or hints?

Thanks,
Nix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:10 pm 

FFP runs in a chrooted environment, and the usb disk is automounted outside the chroot. You have to mount it inside the chroot either:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/mountpoint
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/mountpoint
When you're done, you'll have to unmount it manually in the chroot
Code:
umount /mnt/mountpoint
and also using the webinterface.

Quote:
I must confess i was and am pretty disappointed concerning the x-fer speeds (1.5MB/s with samba, and later 2.0MB/s with nfs),
Really? Are you on wifi? The box can do easily ten times that speed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hahaha :lol: ,

how stupid am I :oops: ?
Thank you very much for that eye-opener - the idea of mounting it manually was obviously simply to far off...

Yeah, most of the times i transfer via Wifi - rsyncing photos, my music library and similar stuff, but not for that big piles of data like system images. But i never made it beyond ~5-6 MB/s even with my 100GB cable connection. Played around with some of the options like no_wdelay and the frame size but to no avail. Do not know what is the bottle-neck.
Do you have some ideas, maybe?

Thanks again and cheers,
Nix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm 

100GB cable :shock: . I suppose you mean 100Mbit. That has a theoretical maximum of 10~12 MB/sec. You are getting exactly half. Is it possible that you have an old networkcard or an old hub, forcing the network to effectively half duplex?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm 

What a confusion - yes, i meant 100 MBit, of course :|

No, it is not a an old hub - its another embedded linux box to play around with - an Asus Wl500w Router that is able to control half of my electronical equipment around here, playing music from an mpd server etc. ;) Fabulous i say... :D
I am pretty sure it is providing the full duplex mode without any problems. Same thing on my Acer notebook. Should be something else. What are/were your xfer speeds with the NSA220+ on a 100Mbit LAN?
Btw., the NSA option "Jumbo frames" is just working for GBit environments, right?

Cheers, and thx for the suggestions

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm 

I don't have a 220+, just a 220. But I don't think it matters for network speed.

My box does around 11MB/sec on a 100Mbit line, with a processor load of about 60%

Nixblicker wrote:
Btw., the NSA option "Jumbo frames" is just working for GBit environments, right?
Right.