General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:12 am 

what needs to be configured on the Cisco epc3925 to give the zyxel nsa220 external Internet access and for it to be visible from a ps3? My cable provider Upc replaced my existing modem and router with the Cisco and the zyxel has not been working for downloads and is invisible to the PS3 since. It's mainly the port forwarding setup I need to configure but need some basic instructions and if there is anything else to be done to allow the zyxel to download stuff. It was all working fine on the old setup but a mate did this in 2006. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:55 pm 

The only thing I can think of, with the information you gave, is that the 220 has a fixed IP address, outside the subnet provided by the Cisco. But in that case you wouldn't be able to see the NAS from your PC.

Is the PS3 wired or wireless? What is the nature of the downloads, torrents?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 am 

You are probably right as the Zyxel would have had a static IP address on the old setup, 192.168.2.10 was used, so maybe the DNS is incorrect. I will check this tonight.

Is there any reason/ advantage having the Zyxel set as a static IP ?

I checked the old setup for the belkin and port forwarding setup for the NSA is restricted to ports 80/ 8088. The box is mainly used for downloading torrents so anything else that needs to be done.

Thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:16 pm 

pmurphy7 wrote:
Is there any reason/ advantage having the Zyxel set as a static IP ?
Depends on your router. On some routers the combination DHCP client and portforwarding is instable, and a fixed IP address can solve it. But if your router supports 'semi fixed ip' on base of MAC address, there is hardly any advantage. (An advantage could be that the NAS is still accessible when the router is down)

Quote:
I checked the old setup for the belkin and port forwarding setup for the NSA is restricted to ports 80/ 8088. The box is mainly used for downloading torrents so anything else that needs to be done.
In that case I suppose port 8088 is used as seed port by torrent?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm 

Setting ip and dns to auto on zyxel worked. I should have twigged. The downloading was still not working so I opened up ports 80 and 8088, I am not sure of their function but the torrents seem to be working again. Is it worth updating the firmware from 3.24 to the latest nsa220 plus firmware or is there little added benefit? I thanks for the help and assistance great to find the forum and to get help with even the simplest problems. Sometimes it's the most obvious things I don't notice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 pm 

pmurphy7 wrote:
Is it worth updating the firmware from 3.24 to the latest nsa220 plus firmware or is there little added benefit?
Who will say? From the release notes:

Modification in V3.25(AFG.0)C0 | 12/2011
[Enhancement]
 Allow Media Server support to choose generating thumbnail or not
 Media Server: support id3 tag by libiconv
[Fix]
 Online firmware upgrade stopped unexpectedly
 Fix some problems of power schedule
 Solve smbd failure while sending large files to FAT32 formatted USB device.
 Fix HDD wake-up problem

Sansom claimed that 3.25 supports >2TiB disks, but that's not in the release notes.