How important it is to shut down EDmini before unplug ?

Ethernet disk mini & Ethernet disk mini home edition
Diginas

How important it is to shut down EDmini before unplug ?

Post by Diginas » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 pm

I have a EDmini working in the last 6 years 24/4

It has been a great nas.

It is NOT connected to a UPS , and sometimes it suffers from cold shutdowns - when there are power failures, or someone shuts down the circuit breaker of that area (happens a lot of times , lol).

Perpeaps it had experiencied about 100 cold shutdowns over the 6 years ... and no problems at all ....

So .. what is the importance of shuttind down a NAS ?

For replacing purposes, yesterday i bought a Lacie LaCie d2 Network 2 (3TB) .

My question is : EDmini got me used to ignore the shutdown menu ... Should I care about shutdown in LaCie d2 Network 2 ?

Mijzelf

Re: How important it is to shut down EDmini before unplug ?

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 pm

According to the Wiki the edmini has an ext3 data partition. That means it has a journalled filesystem, which means that after a power loss the filesystem can always be restored to a valid state.
Your filesystem should be able to survive a power fail. (More or less. When you have a 2nd powerfail while the fs is restoring to a valid state, it could get some damage, I have read somewhere). But that's not true for the files itself. If the box is writing data while you pull the plug, the filesystem will be valid after a reboot, but the file being written can contain garbage.
So it's recommended to shutdown the box properly.

Diginas

Re: How important it is to shut down EDmini before unplug ?

Post by Diginas » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:34 am

Mijzelf wrote:According to the Wiki the edmini has an ext3 data partition. That means it has a journalled filesystem, which means that after a power loss the filesystem can always be restored to a valid state.
Your filesystem should be able to survive a power fail. (More or less. When you have a 2nd powerfail while the fs is restoring to a valid state, it could get some damage, I have read somewhere). But that's not true for the files itself. If the box is writing data while you pull the plug, the filesystem will be valid after a reboot, but the file being written can contain garbage.
So it's recommended to shutdown the box properly.
Thank You :)