General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 pm 

Finally problem solved it was the MBR that was missing from davyk image that is why it did not work, I compared davyk images to the images from my recovered disk all of them matched except Fat32 from davyk and the unallocated space from my disk image did not match there is difference between them at the beging about 31kb in size mostly zeros (this turned out to be an MBR) after that the image matched. I tried before saving the MBR and writing it back but it did not work because I made image of 512bytes, this time I made another one size 2.0KB which covered all needed hex but it did not work either, so I made one 31.5kB and this one worked. The disk boot correctly and every thing works fine except when I connect via usb under windows and logon to the disk and run paragon partition manager which shows the fat32 userdata partition as a 465gb while my disk space should be around 3gb, but otherwise everything is ok the disk mount under my computer and shows 3gb.the steps I used this time the same as above, but no need for unallocated space I think that this space was left out with the MBR and logon info the first time I recovered my disk with testdisk this time I created a fat 32 partition for it and I partitioned the disk according the info I found here http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=1879 and I used all of davyk images and the MBR image from my 500gb disk. I used this command to write MBR back.
Code:
dd if=/home/mbr of=/dev/sdb bs=30720 count=1

I put the MBR and davyk images and upload it at rapidshare which has 10 download limit http://rapidshare.com/files/437283447/Edmini-img.7z

I edited the first post to include this link and the MBR steps.

Thanks Mijzelf for you help.

Last edited by mtrok2 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:49 pm 

Hello to everyone.!

I'm tring to fix an edmini v1 with your guide....but I can't download the file because it doesn't exist.
I need the MBR image to fix my ed mini.

Doy you still have that image.?
Can you post again that file.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Filippo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am 

Maybe I have that file, it has the right name, but the date is wrong. It is dated Dec 6 2009, and according to the forum stamp it should be Sep 17 2010 or later.
Anyway, I uploaded it here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 am 

Thank you very much for your help.! :D This evening I will try the files and we will see.
The only thing is missing , I think , is the file MBR .

But anyway...I will first try these files...

Thank you very much again.

I hope you will have a great day.
Best regards

Filippo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 am 

Xabaras76 wrote:
Thank you very much for your help.! :D This evening I will try the files and we will see.
The only thing is missing , I think , is the file MBR .

But anyway...I will first try these files...

Thank you very much again.

I hope you will have a great day.
Best regards

Filippo

Dear Filippo, you will need the MBR file to make edmini works. I will upload the files again and update the links in the post. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:16 am 

I uploaded the files and updated the link in the post. http://rapidshare.com/files/437283447/Edmini-img.7z. Let me know if it works for you Thanks and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:36 pm 

I mirrored it here. It won't disappear again!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 pm 

Dear mtrok2,

I'm trying to revive my Edmini v1 as well. However, when I follow your steps all goes well up to the point where the mbr has to be written to the disk.
After this step the whole disk is shown as unpartitioned space in gparted. What could cause this issue?

Cheers,
cwillems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:49 pm 

cwillems wrote:
Dear mtrok2,

I'm trying to revive my Edmini v1 as well. However, when I follow your steps all goes well up to the point where the mbr has to be written to the disk.
After this step the whole disk is shown as unpartitioned space in gparted. What could cause this issue?

Cheers,
cwillems

I am not sure why this happened, but I believe when you put the mbr back you write over the partition table this happened to me before. But if you followed the instruction this should not happen try writing the mbr using the following commend dd if=/home/mbr of=/dev/sdb bs=30720 count=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 pm 

mtrok2 wrote:
cwillems wrote:
Dear mtrok2,

Cheers,
cwillems

I am not sure why this happened, but I believe when you put the mbr back you write over the partition table this happened to me before. But if you followed the instruction this should not happen try writing the mbr using the following commend dd if=/home/mbr of=/dev/sdb bs=30720 count=1

That is the command that I used. I tried it again just now, to no avail.
I did notice that the used space is different after I create the partitions and restore the images, also the lba flags are missing.
Could it be that I have the wrong image and mbr files?
I used the ones that were posted by Mijzelf. There is also an imagefile of the swap volume in there, which is not mentioned in your guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:17 pm 

No need for the swap file. See the attachment in first post and make sure that the sizes of you partition match exactly except for sdb3 fat32 which should be what left of you disk. I think you problem is the partition spaces I said should match the image in the attachment exactly. The flags are not the problem anyway you can assign the flags in gpartd.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:31 pm 

How can I make these match exactly? I only seem to be able to create partitions in rounded MB's

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:53 pm 

cwillems wrote:
How can I make these match exactly? I only seem to be able to create partitions in rounded MB's

1. make 244 mb extended partition (sdd1) after you create it should be 243.14MB

inside the extended partition make the following partition

b. make 126 mb linux swap partition (sdd5) after you create it should be 125.45MB
c. make 8 mb ext3 partition (sdd6) after you create it should be 7.81MB
d. make 102 mb ext3 partition (sdd7) after you create it should be 101.94MB
e. make 8 mb ext3 partition (sdd8) after you create it should be 7.81MB

3. make 134 mb fat32 partition ( sdb2 for USB login) after you create it should be 133.35MB

4. make a fat32 partition for the space left( sdd3 for user stored data).

5. Use "dd" command to write those images to partitions sdd6, sdd7, sdd8, and sdd2 which you just created using this command:
Code:
dd if=/dev/home/Linux native Volume 2.img of=/dev/sdd6 bs=512

dd if=/dev/home/Linux native Volume 3.img of=/dev/sdd7 bs=512

dd if=/dev/home/Linux native Volume 4.img of=/dev/sdd8 bs=512

dd if=/dev/home/FAT 32 Volume 1.img of=/dev/sdd2 bs=512

6. write the MBR image to disk using this command

Code:
Code:dd if=/home/mbr of=/dev/sdd bs=30720 count=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:55 pm 

Do not put any label for the partition you write

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:05 pm 

I did put in labels and will leave them out in the next attempt.
However, I am not able to fit those partitions in the extended partition, because I'm only able to create partitions with rounded MiB's.
e.g. When I create an 8 MiB partition it remains 8MiB and not 7.81
Is this a setting in gparted?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next