General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Diskimages?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 am 

obus wrote:
I took it apart and connected it to my computer an formatted the hard drive (Maxtor PATA 300GB original disk) with the intention just to use it as a USB disk. The problem with this is that I had to login every time because the logon icon for the guest account is coming up every time I connect the disk to a computer. This “login stuff” must be hardcoded in some way because the hard disk is for the moment formatted in NTFS and I can’t see any hidden partitions

You didn't take the disk out of the EDMini housing to format it, but just connected it through the EDMini's USB connector? In that case the original firmware is still there. The exposed 'USB disk' is in reality just a partition on the real disk. Did you ever try a factory reset?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:26 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
obus wrote:
I took it apart and connected it to my computer an formatted the hard drive (Maxtor PATA 300GB original disk) with the intention just to use it as a USB disk. The problem with this is that I had to login every time because the logon icon for the guest account is coming up every time I connect the disk to a computer. This “login stuff” must be hardcoded in some way because the hard disk is for the moment formatted in NTFS and I can’t see any hidden partitions

You didn't take the disk out of the EDMini housing to format it, but just connected it through the EDMini's USB connector? In that case the original firmware is still there. The exposed 'USB disk' is in reality just a partition on the real disk. Did you ever try a factory reset?

Hi Mijzelf and thanks' for your prompt answer.
Actually i disconnected the drive and took it out from the housing. Still after reconnecting everything after formatting the disk with NTFS, the login stuff is there.
I f you mean a factory reset in that way that you push the blue button for five seconds and after that for fifteen or more seconds, Yes but It didn’t work. The disk just shut down without “spinning” down. My disk wasn’t recognized on the network at all after the power failure and I also tried to ping it without success after setting ip manually trough ip config.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:52 pm 

Quote:
Actually i disconnected the drive and took it out from the housing. Still after reconnecting everything after formatting the disk with NTFS, the login stuff is there.
Strange. It surprises me that the disk is exposed via USB at all, when the original Linux OS is erased.
Quote:
I f you mean a factory reset in that way that ...

If that is the way which is described in the manual, then yes, that is what I mean. (Almost) all Lacie's have a layered filesystem, where the original firmware partition is mounted read-only, and a writable partition put transparently on top of it. This writeable partition keeps all the firmware updates, and user settings.
A factory reset triggers the original firmware to erase the writable partition before layering it, effectively restoring the original settings/firmware.
On a power fail it's unlikely that a readonly mounted partition will get damaged, so this construction *could* repair a damaged box.
Quote:
After reading this thread I’ve realized that it could be a way to bring new life in my just passed away disk again.
Is there a way to just clone an old working disk with Ghost or partition magic or whatever program and then just reimage my original disk?

Theoretically, yes. But there is a catch. Because of the funny nested filesystem (the exposed USB disk is just a partition, containing a partitiontable and it's own partitions) it's unlikely that a ghost will be in a distributable size. From Gosts' view it is a partition containing a unknown filesystem, so the best it can do is compress the content. It cannot skip unused areas, like it can do with known filesystems. However, if you can borrow a working EDMini disk you can just do a raw diskcopy.
If you don't, I think the only way is reassembling the disk from partition images, as explained in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm 

Ok I understand the problem.
I did a backupimage before I formatted the disk to NTFS and now I had reimaged the disk to the same state as it was after the power failure. Is it possible to “inject” the davyk partition/data in some way with help of WinImage and then once again reimage the disk with hopefully the correct data in every partition? (Just creative thinking. As I said before I had none skills in linux )
Regards
obus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:12 pm 

You made an image before you wiped the disk, and now you've put the image back? Why did you wipe the disk, if you had room for that image?
Quote:
Is it possible to “inject” the davyk partition/data in some way with help of WinImage and then once again reimage the disk with hopefully the correct data in every partition?

Maybe. I don't know WinImage, so I can't say anything about that part. But which partition should you exchange? The davyk package contains 5 or 6 partitions. If you let fly your fear for the Linux command prompt, you can check the filesystems to see if you can pinpoint the damage. If you know what you're doing (and I don't mean which commands to execute, but understanding which tasks has to be done) it's not hard.
Just boot your PC (with the Lacie disk connected) from a Linux LiveCD or -USB stick, open a terminal (command prompt), and type
Code:
cat /proc/partitions

This will list all partitions known to the system, where sda (or hda) is the first harddisk, sdb the second, sda1 is the first partition on the first harddisk, etc. This is a way to find the system name of your harddisk. According to this post you're mainly interested in partition 7 and 8 (firmware and rw overlay). Say your Lacie disk is sdb, then you unmount the partitions (just in case they were automounted) and run filesystem check:
Code:
sudo umount /dev/sdb7
sudo umount /dev/sdb8
sudo fsck -n /dev/sdb7
sudo fsck -n /dev/sdb8

(The sudo command gives you root (administrator) rights. Without that lowlevel actions like this are not allowed)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm 

Thanks’ for the information Mijzelf, I will try the hard linux way and report back if I am able to solve my problem.
Regards
obus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 pm 

Back again mijzelf.
I did the check and received this information;

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -n /dev/hda7
fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/hda7 has gone 1596 days without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/hda7: 2520/25688 files (0.6% non-contiguous), 68853/102400 blocks
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck -n /dev/hda8
fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
e2fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
/dev/hda8: clean, 11/2000 files, 1298/8001 blocks
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Could you read out anything from this?
If I want to exchange my probably corrupt hda 7 and 8 partition against davyk:s fresh ones wich commands am i using?
If this is not to trivial for you I should be very happy for some further guiding if you could spare the time.

Regards
obus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 am 

Both partitions are OK. The line
Quote:
/dev/hda7: 2520/25688 files (0.6% non-contiguous), 68853/102400 blocks

says: hda7 contains 2520 files of the maximum of 25688, from which 0.6% are fragmented. 68853kB of 102400kB is in use.

I run fsck on the davyk image, which gave *exact the same output* for hda7. hda8 is different, the davyk image contains more files. I suppose that is due to your factory reset.

I think it's a good idea to compute the md5sum of hda7:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/hda7 | md5sum

(do a datadump with inputfile /dev/hda7; output to stdout; which is piped to md5sum)
The md5sum of the davyk image is ea8d1869621fa92319f4aa1e49c076a8. When your md5sum is identical, the partitions are identical.

The other checksums:
'Linux native Volume 2'; uboot+kernel; hda6; 3c3dbf807c425e127d95c62d1372be57
'FAT 32 Volume 1'; login stuff for usb?; hda2; 228c5e4a9bcd0cc4e0642b7026d513d0

Putting the davyk images on the disk: First unpack the package, they are double-zipped, the raw images are .img files. You may need 'Linux native Volume' 2, 3 and 4, which matches hda6, 7 and 8.

First make a backup of the current, just in case. Use the GUI to mount a Windows partition writable, or plugin an USB stick. Use the GUI to find out the path to the writable volume.
Then in the terminal navigate to the writable volume: something like
Code:
cd /mnt/media/usbstick
You can use tab for auto-completion, and 'ls' to show files/directories in current directory. Then backup the partition:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/hda7 | gzip >hda7.gz

(do a datadump with inputfile /dev/hda7; output to stdout; which is piped to gzip, which compresses the stream, and outputs to stdout, which is written to hda7.gz in the current directory)
When you want to put this backup back:
Code:
gzip -dc hda7.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/hda7

(uncompress hda7.gz, put the output to stdout. which is piped to dd, which writes it to outputfile /dev/hda7 (sudo because dd needs special rights to write the outputfile))

The davyk images are not compressed anymore, so the command to write them to a partition is slightly different:
Code:
cat "/path/to/Linux native Volume 3.img" | sudo dd of=/dev/hda7

(just print the davyk image (quotes around the name because of the spaces in the name) to stdout, which is piped to dd, ... )

For the record, there is a 7zip compatible Linux tool, called p7zip. If that is available on your system, you can use the compressed davyk images:
Code:
p7zip -dc "/path/to/Linux native Volume 3.7z" | sudo dd of=/dev/hda7

I'm not sure about the -dc. Try p7zip --help, and search for 'decompress file' and 'output to stdout'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:16 pm 

obus wrote:
Hi guys.
I’m a newbie in this forum and I have just basic skills when it comes to computers. My knowledge in linux is zero (0). The thing is that I bought myself a LaCie Ed 300GB mini some years ago and I’ve just love it. Unfortunately this pressures thing was bricked last week due to a failing power supply. I’ve goggled around and found this thread and became quite upbeat after reading it. The problem is that after my failure with the Ed mini power supply I took it apart and connected it to my computer an formatted the hard drive (Maxtor PATA 300GB original disk) with the intention just to use it as a USB disk. The problem with this is that I had to login every time because the logon icon for the guest account is coming up every time I connect the disk to a computer. This “login stuff” must be hardcoded in some way because the hard disk is for the moment formatted in NTFS and I can’t see any hidden partitions if I look at it in partition magic. After reading this thread I’ve realized that it could be a way to bring new life in my just passed away disk again.
Is there a way to just clone an old working disk with Ghost or partition magic or whatever program and then just reimage my original disk? As I have no knowledge whatever in computing and linux this should be the easiest way for me to bring new life in my Ed mini. Is there anybody out there how could help me with this problem I should appreciate it soooo much!!
Best regards
obus

Hi!

I did exactly what you did and had the same problem (the logon partition showing when you connect with USB). The solution was to do a FULL format of the drive and not just a quick format. My guess is that the Lacie system checks some hardcoded sectors (or something like that) for the logon partition. If you have overwritten the data, the information is still there and the Lacie will find it even if you did a quick format of the drive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm 

Hi sponk.
Did you solve the problem with your disk and in that case how?
I'm just trying to fix mine with the help of mijself:s guiding. For the moment I'm completely stucked but I won't give up.
regards
obus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:21 pm 

Finally I got my Edmin working flawlessly like the first day I bought it, everything works I can connect and login via USB and through network. I have two edmini disks that I screwed, the first one I wiped the drive clean, the second one I screwed while trying to recover the first one. I lost the linux partation, but the usb logon was still working which I used in the recovery process, but I am not sure where the files are stored, I think they are in the fat12 partation (which I do not see with gparted) and the unallocated space, but I am not sure how that worked. :lol: . I used davyk images to recover sda6,sda7, and sda8 linux partation, and I used the other disk to recover the usb login. please see images. By the way I first used LacieHasser method and it worked for me the same way it did work for him, but I did not like it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by mtrok2 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:22 pm 

more images

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 pm 

davyk wrote:
Hi guys, (ciao mspr)
it's here

compressed w/ 7-Zip

++ vYk

Are these the most current images to fully recover an LaCie EDmini v1?

My EDmini v1 (300GB) got bricked by the previous owner who deleted all partitions and created a NTFS partition in Windows. Only accessible in Windows via USB and read-only for all other OS'es. No booting at all and not UTP access.

I downloaded these images in case of (you know what can happen to files on the Interwebz)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:23 pm 

Yes, but you have to read a lot of stuff here in this therad to fix it!
Other Images are here & here in the Download-Area of the NAS-Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 pm 

Thanks LacieHasser,

I did read a lot of info in this thread. I hope this will 'un-brick' the v1 and if I got stuck on anything, I'll report back in this thread