General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EDMini V1 symptoms
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 pm 

I have this device that I can access via USB with no problems. FORMAT it but the web interface or any access to configure the thing is not possible. I was able to config the ethernet port address but I can never connect. LInk flashes on the port but a PING fails 100% of the time. I also attempted to create a new HDD using the V1 image files using Gparted LIve and DD commands....That is not evern recognized wheb I boot. Maybe someone can advise a little? I am a Linux newbie but have worked on hardware and computers for like 20 years so I am not totally inexperienced. It seems to me like maybe something in the Linux partition on the original drive for the config/web is hosed. Are there any things I cna check on the linux for integrity?

Post subject: Re: EDMini V1 symptoms
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 am 

About the network connection: You can try to connect the box directly to your PC, and switch it on while Wireshark is monitoring the network port. This can give lots of information about used (which is not necessarily the same as configured) IP address, DHCP status, etc.

BTW, are you sure you have a V1? Which partition dumps did you use?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:41 pm 

Yes, it is def. the V1 I used the ones linked in another thread called: Edmini-img.7z it has a bunch of volumes and the MBR. I think since the drive I tested with was smaller perhaps that changes the OFFSET for loading the root partition? IDK for sure as I do not know Linux much. MY main PCB says 3.8.0 and has a USB port the silkscreen says N.0406 REV B and it used the MPC5200C micro which is the PowerPC one from the datasheet... Thanks for the tip on Wireshark - I have used that before and is worth a try, great idea! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

Quote:
I think since the drive I tested with was smaller perhaps that changes the OFFSET for loading the root partition?
I suppose you used this instructions? In that case the difference in disksize is corrected in sdb3, which is on the end of the disk. So the 'important partitions' sdb6-8 are still on the same place. (Actually I don't think the offset is important, though I'm not sure. On newer Lacie's The bootloader just loads it's kernel from sdb6, and that's it. The actual position on the harddisk is unimportant)

You write the new harddisk is 'not recognized'. What do you mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:58 pm 

The post you identified is the one I followed. Using the "davyk images" which are listed at the end of that thread. As for the "not recognized'. Simply put the NAS boots up and flashes BLUE led but neither the USB or the LAN port are recognised. When I put the original HDD back in the USB works but no LAN port. And occasionally the Lacie tool can connect to the LAN to configure but it fails...btw - I did not try the wireshark yet...that is my next attempt in understanding the problem of the original HDD. Also, I got the images from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=361&start=30