General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 am
Posts: 19
OK I finally hooked up to a Linux box .... but still no luck.

I partitionned with fdsik :
Quote:
Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5944c4d2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 250 2008093+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 251 373 987997+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 63 505984+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 64 66 24066 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 * 67 69 24066 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 70 101 257008+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 102 250 1196811 83 Linux


Then copied the images :
Quote:
root@ubuntu:/media/disk/dd-0.5# dd if=sda6 of=/dev/sda6
16002+0 records in
16002+0 records out
8193024 bytes (8.2 MB) copied, 1.15537 seconds, 7.1 MB/s

root@ubuntu:/media/disk/dd-0.5# dd if=sda7 of=/dev/sda7
16002+0 records in
16002+0 records out
8193024 bytes (8.2 MB) copied, 1.16385 seconds, 7.0 MB/s

root@ubuntu:/media/disk/dd-0.5# dd if=sda8 of=/dev/sda8
256977+0 records in
256977+0 records out
131572224 bytes (132 MB) copied, 16.2345 seconds, 8.1 MB/s


But still nothing ...
I tried :
- without formating, with formating (mkfs),
- setting the partition bootable,
- first / second port on the Big Disk
N.O.T.H.I.N.G. :x

The one thing that suprises me is that after dd .... in Kubuntu, I cannot mount the partitions in anyway. They seem to be "not readable".
DMESG says :
Quote:
[ 692.363224] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 805.391733] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 809.765458] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 903.997070] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 964.757195] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 980.349028] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.


Is that normal ? I would have expected them to be readable like any partition ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 112
Location: near Toulouse, France
jjr74 wrote:
The one thing that suprises me is that after dd .... in Kubuntu, I cannot mount the partitions in anyway. They seem to be "not readable".
DMESG says :
Quote:
[ 692.363224] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 805.391733] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 809.765458] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 903.997070] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 964.757195] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sda6.
[ 980.349028] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda6.


Is that normal ? I would have expected them to be readable like any partition ...

This is normal for sda6 as it contains a raw uImage rather than a filesystem.
However sda7, sda8 and sda9 contain real ext3 filesystems which you should be able to mount and read on Kubuntu.
Did you try mounting these?

Your partition copies seem to have worked OK.
Your system partitions seem rather oversized but this should not matter.

Maybe different boot parameters are used in the boot loader of the EBD which mean that a disk with EDmini V2 partitions will not boot.
You could almost certainly get round this if you had serial access (or at the very least understand what is going wrong).
I don't have an EBD but maybe you could see if someone who has one can help you.
Mindbender told me that he had bought a diskless EBD for his NAS central team.
I do not doubt for a moment that they managed to get it running ;-)

EDIT: I have just noticed that you didn't mention copying sda9.
Did you copy it?
You probably don't need its contents but it is possible that things may screw up if you don't have at least an empty ext3 filesystem on sda9.

EDIT: I now remember that sda9 wasn't uploaded to NAS central.
Albert Aribaud (aaribaud) kindly sent me dumps of sda6, sda7, sda8 and sda9 but we realized later that sda9 had some of his personal stuff on it :(
However as I said I think an empty ext3 filesystem on sda9 should suffice.
I also made an empty ext3 filesystem on sda2 but I found out later that LaCie use xfs.
You may need to create a directory called "Shared" (IIRC) on sda2.
EDIT: actually it's called "Public" and has several subdirectories.
I'm sure I didn't create the subdirectories so I'm pretty certain they will be created automatically.
You should also do a mkswap on sda5.

EDIT: You say the result is "nothing".
How did you conclude this?
Did your EBD work before?
Can you hear the disk "scratching"? For how long?
Did you try WireShark/Ethereal to see if there is any ethernet activity?


Last edited by rosbif on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 am
Posts: 19
Thanks a lot again for the prompt and detailled answer.
I'll try that ... but in a while : I'll be off to SoCal for a month.

Quote:
This is normal for sda6 as it contains a raw uImage rather than a filesystem.
However sda7, sda8 and sda9 contain real ext3 filesystems which you should be able to mount and read on Kubuntu.
Did you try mounting these?

Good to know that about sda6 ... it was getting me worried (see previous comment on how it looked in Partition manager)
However I did try sda7 and 8 : same result as far as I remember.

Quote:
Mindbender told me that he had bought a diskless EBD for his NAS central team.
I do not doubt for a moment that they managed to get it running ;-)

Hope they can help ... maybe some partition images ;)

Quote:
I also made an empty ext3 filesystem on sda2 but I found out later that LaCie use xfs.
You may need to create a directory called "Shared" (IIRC) on sda2.
You should also do a mkswap on sda5.

Didn't do that ... will try next time.

Quote:
EDIT: You say the result is "nothing".
How did you conclude this?
Did your EBD work before?
Can you hear the disk "scratching"? For how long?
Did you try WireShark/Ethereal to see if there is any ethernet activity?

Nothing = not seen in the Lacie IP configurator
I bought the EBD diskless
Disk scratches for a couple of seconds only
Wireshark no test, but will do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 112
Location: near Toulouse, France
jjr74 wrote:
Disk scratches for a couple of seconds only

It sounds like it is not getting very far then :(

After a boot failure, try looking (with another machine) for a /var/log/messages on the disk.
I think this would be on partition 9 but it could also be on 8 or 7.
If it gets far enough to start writing to disk, this would contain the kernel log which should indicate why the boot goes wrong (or at least how far it gets in the boot process).
(There could also be a dmesg, kernel.log or syslog with similar information in the same directory.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 1
Hello,

Can you tell me how you have make to restore the drive because when i make "dd if=sda1 of=sda1" he tell me that he files are copied but when i go see the directories: nothing.

You know why and how i can repear that's?

and when you create the partition you have written 83 for the type of partition. Is it EXT3 or not?

thank you

(Sorry for my english i'm from switzerland)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am
Posts: 6022
The command 'dd if=file1 of=file2' copies the contents of file1 to file2. Your command 'dd if=sda1 of=sda1' copies the file to itself, effectively doing nothing.

In *nix everything is a file, including a partition, so you can copy an image of a partition to a partition with the command 'dd if=image of=partition'.
A partition on a sata disk in linux has the name /dev/sdxn, where x is a,b,c,... depending on the number of the fysical harddisk (or usb stick!), and n is the partition number.
So you should have used 'dd if=sda1 of=/dev/sdx1'.

You can see the contents of the partition after you have mounted it:
mkdir /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt/sda1
ls /mnt/sda1

The partition type in the partition table doesn't really matter AFAIK, Linux ignores it, and looks only to the partition itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:21 pm
Posts: 1
Please can you help me.

I Have a Lacie EDmini v2 (750Gb)

This was connected on my network and runing happily serving files to my ps3,network... untill 2 days ago when i was watchin a film from my ps3.
I was fast-forwarding a film when it died on me.

The unit powers on and HDD spins but no connection whatsoever via usb or LAn.

I took the drive out and was able to boot into knoppix to copy out my files so looks like the drive is OK.

How can i tell whether or not if its the unit thats giving up the ghost?.

How can i revive the whole unit ?

Thanks very much

cooa99


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:49 am
Posts: 5
Check this topic :)

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=611


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Posts: 1
rosbif wrote:
You probably don't need its contents but it is possible that things may screw up if you don't have at least an empty ext3 filesystem on sda9.

EDIT: I now remember that sda9 wasn't uploaded to NAS central.
Albert Aribaud (aaribaud) kindly sent me dumps of sda6, sda7, sda8 and sda9 but we realized later that sda9 had some of his personal stuff on it :(
However as I said I think an empty ext3 filesystem on sda9 should suffice.
I also made an empty ext3 filesystem on sda2 but I found out later that LaCie use xfs.
You may need to create a directory called "Shared" (IIRC) on sda2.
EDIT: actually it's called "Public" and has several subdirectories.
I'm sure I didn't create the subdirectories so I'm pretty certain they will be created automatically.
You should also do a mkswap on sda5.



I needed this extra info on formatting sda9 and sda2 but this got my EDmini back to life!
Thanks a lot for making the images and instructions available. My drive had crashed and the warranty had expired. Now I have a 1TB EDmini!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
I acquired an EDmini Home with a broken 500Gb hdd.
Could I buy a 1Tb hdd and configure/expand the 'user' partition so that it will be an 1Tb nas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Restore Edmini v2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am
Posts: 6022
Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group