General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:12 pm 

Hi,

I've been thinking about moding the V2 to Big Disk, i.e. adding a second SATA to the board. From looking at images of both boards and the firmware versions they are both identicle the only exception is that the V2 doens't have the second SATA point soldered on. The extra sata point could be added by soldering 7 points on the board. Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts on how one goes about this?

I'm willing to try it. It would be good to add an ESata connection to the Edmini V2.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:55 am 

monsteria wrote:
I've been thinking about moding the V2 to Big Disk, i.e. adding a second SATA to the board. From looking at images of both boards and the firmware versions they are both identicle the only exception is that the V2 doens't have the second SATA point soldered on. The extra sata point could be added by soldering 7 points on the board. Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts on how one goes about this?

Hi,

I know the EDmini V2 pretty well but I have never had access to an EBD.

My opinion is the same as yours: I think that the motherboard, firmware and kernel are otherwise identical and that it is just a question of soldering on the connectors.

I use my own kernel but even the stock LaCie kernel initialises the second (actually the first) SATA port.

My only doubts are:-
    Is the power supply sufficientlly dimensioned to cope with a second disk?
      EDIT: I have since looked at my PSU: it is rated at 5V 4.2A and 12V 3A. Recent Seagate Barracudas take 2A to 2.8A peak at 12V. This is probably at power-on and maybe during spin up; however they use less than 12W (so less than 1A) when operating. I don't know whether you will get away with the extra power-on load.
    The stock LaCie userspace may not try to mount the second disk but you should be able to correct this if
      either you have root shell access
      or you remove the disk and mount it in a Linux PC.
    (I am not too familiar with the LaCie userspace as I generally use a Debian sid rootfs).
HTH

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by rosbif on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:33 pm 

Thanks for your input, Chris.

I bought the sata point, there is a spare unsoldered power point (i think is for the Big Disk), which i intend to solder the power cable directly on to.

How did you install Debian without opening the Edmini V2 box?
Do you recommend that i install Debian before the installation?

Many thanks,

Phu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 am 

monsteria wrote:
I bought the sata point, there is a spare unsoldered power point (i think is for the Big Disk), which i intend to solder the power cable directly on to.

Yes I am pretty sure it is for the EBD.
I have added some remarks on the power supply capacity to my first reply.

monsteria wrote:
How did you install Debian without opening the Edmini V2 box?

Did I say that I didn't open the box? ;-)
Actually the box was already open when I bought mine (diskless) off eBay.
The first thing I had to do was to get serial access ... but that is another story: see my other posts.

monsteria wrote:
Do you recommend that i install Debian before the installation?

It depends on what you intend to do with the box.
If the LaCie software offers all the functionality you want then I would just tune it up (if necessary) to support two disks.
If you want to run other stuff, compile stuff natively and use it as a Linux box then I would install a real distribution such as Debian.
However this is not (yet) immediate and does need a pretty good knowledge of Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm 

Interesting...never gave the actual power capacity much thought, I just assumed that they would build/buy the same PSU for all the bottom range models...its more cost effective to have one fabrication plant makeing one a single model than having minor vairations - at least this is the case for most electronic components.

I guess i can only but try...unless there's any EBD owners out there that wants to clarify the PSU s

I have little to know experience with Linux. I'm downloading Debian as i write this. I'll dable with that first and see if i can get my head around it. I would be great if i can get a file server/torrent client/printer server on it. would Debian installation on the Edmini give me these functionalities?

Cheers

Phu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:01 pm 

monsteria wrote:
I have little to know experience with Linux. I'm downloading Debian as i write this. I'll dable with that first and see if i can get my head around it.

I don't think you will be able to use the standard Debian installer and you will have to use debootstrap.
If you have little Linux experience this is likely to be quite difficult as you will have to learn a lot about system administration.
It is very much more difficult than installing, for example, Ubuntu on a PC :(

monsteria wrote:
I would be great if i can get a file server/torrent client/printer server on it. would Debian installation on the Edmini give me these functionalities?

Debian has an very extensive range of packages and, while I haven't personally used a torrent client or a print server on the EDmini V2, I am sure they are available.

Post subject: Did it finally work?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:05 pm 

I've now opened my edmini v2.

I see the soldering points for a second psu and a second sata.

I don't know soldering (and even where to buy the connectors).
So before I begin trying:

Did it work for anybody who knows more about it?