General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've messed up my EDmini v2 and haven't been able to get it working again, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone could help me with it.

I first performed the "hack" procedure on jebimony.com to install SSH, and that worked well. Good times. But then I guess I got carried away and installed too much other stuff, because after that the device would no longer boot. It just makes a rhythmic clicking noise.

I've looked in logs, like /var/log/messages, but nothing is appended anymore. (The mod. date stays the same). I've tried restoring partitions 6, 7, and 8 to the images found on this site, but that didn't help. I even reformatted partition 9 as aquila did, but it still doesn't boot. The only partitions that I haven't tried restoring are #2 (which has my files) and #5 (swap). And #1, but that contains 5-9 if I understand correctly.

Does anybody have an idea of what might be going wrong?

What I think I should do now is try to connect to the EDmini's serial console. According to tweaky.aribaud.net, a Nokia DKU-5 USB cable can be used for this purpose. So I think I will order this off ebay. How do you plug it in though? I see a row of 8 pins sticking up on the corner of the board... does it somehow attach there? Then does it need a driver or is it recognized automatically? (I use Linux and Mac OS X)

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me restore my EDmini, or give advice about using the serial console!

Thanks,

Charles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm 

cel1 wrote:
What I think I should do now is try to connect to the EDmini's serial console. According to tweaky.aribaud.net, a Nokia DKU-5 USB cable can be used for this purpose. So I think I will order this off ebay. How do you plug it in though? I see a row of 8 pins sticking up on the corner of the board... does it somehow attach there? Then does it need a driver or is it recognized automatically? (I use Linux and Mac OS X)

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me restore my EDmini, or give advice about using the serial console!

This topic should help you: http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=71

Cheers,
Chris