General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:42 am 

The flash of my EBD(same as EDmini v2) went wrong: it always tells "Bad magic number" when I boot the system. However, after I use u-boot command "tftpboot 0x40000 <boot_image>", I can successfully boot the sytem (with command "bootm"). This somehow implies something wrong with flash.

Since each time I need connect the serial cable to PUTTY and issue the TFTPBOOT command to boot my NAS, I'd like to save the boot command in the flash by command "saveenv", but it fails with error message "Start/End address not on the boundary". Google-ed a bit on web, but no more useful info about it. Actually this further verifies flash error.

I then tried to rewrite the flash following the intructions at http://tweaky.aribaud.net/?q=node/39, it can saveenv now, but unfortunately, it always stucks at booting the kernel, just like the following:

Code:
Starting kernel ...   
Uncompressing Linux.............................................................
............................................ done, booting the kernel.

The next action missing should be as follows
Code:
Linux version 2.6.12.6-arm1-lacie5a (root@lacie) (gcc version 3.4.4 (release) (CodeSourcery ARM 2005q3-2))
#1 Tue Oct 31 11:26:21 CET 2006                 

CPU: ARM926EJ-Sid(wb) [41069260] revision 0 (ARMv5TEJ)
CPU0: D VIVT write-back cache
CPU0: I cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 1, 32 byte lines, 1024 sets
CPU0: D cache: 32768 bytes, associativity 1, 32 byte lines, 1024 sets
Machine: MV-88fxx81   

Since I use command "cp.b 500000 fff80000 78004" to copy the uboot-flash.bin from memory to flash, I suspect there're some bad blocks at offset fff80000 in the flash, so I issue command "FSformat fff80000". The bad thing happens!

Now the system cannot boot, nor anything displayed from serial cable. It looks that I erased everything from the flash. It's said I might be able to recover the system using JTAG. I've made the serial cable (DKU-5) at J2, and Rosbif mentioned that the J2 also includes JTAG of Lacie, while I failed to figure them out.

So I'm wondering whether someone(rosbif?) would help me out by providing some detailed information/sematics of the JTAG cable/tool for Lacie.

Thanks very much.
-elale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:53 pm 

elale wrote:
Now the system cannot boot, nor anything displayed from serial cable. It looks that I erased everything from the flash. It's said I might be able to recover the system using JTAG. I've made the serial cable (DKU-5) at J2, and Rosbif mentioned that the J2 also includes JTAG of Lacie, while I failed to figure them out.

So I'm wondering whether someone(rosbif?) would help me out by providing some detailed information/sematics of the JTAG cable/tool for Lacie.

I'm afraid that I cannot help you much :(
I bought this JTAG cable: http://www.diygadget.com/jtag-cables/wiggler-buffered-all-in-one-jtag-programmer-version-2.html
It looks good but I have never had to try it out ;)

There are schematics for similar devices floating about on the web if you want to build one yourself.
Googling for "JTAG wiggler schematics" is a good starting point; I quickly found http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/customizing/hardware/jtag_cable

Albert (aaribaud) bought an ARM-USB-OCD from Olimex.
His is more sophisticated: USB rather than parallel port and it can be used as a serial console as well.
However he hasn't tried his out on an EDminiV2 either :(

Cheers,
Chris