General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 am 

Can somebody explain me how to use the partition images found here (or redirect me to a site that explains it) ?
http://gpl.nas-central.org/LACIE/ethern ... g_disk/es/
I have decompressed them with 7ZIP and I tried PartImage 0.6.8 to copy them over the existing partitions on my drive but it failed on error "Invalid compression level" ?

P.S. Also does anybody knows how to use the Linux source from LaCie ? (how to rebuild my HD from it ?)
http://www.lacie.com/cafr/support/drive ... m?id=10099

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:58 pm 

Chuck wrote:
Can somebody explain me how to use the partition images found here (or redirect me to a site that explains it) ?
http://gpl.nas-central.org/LACIE/ethern ... g_disk/es/
I have decompressed them with 7ZIP and I tried PartImage 0.6.8 to copy them over the existing partitions on my drive but it failed on error "Invalid compression level" ?
You can use 'dd' and 'bzip2' to stream the data directly to the partition (in Linux):
Code:
bzip2 -cd file.bz2 | dd of=/dev/sdxn
or, when already decompressed
Code:
dd if=decompressed_file of=/dev/sdxn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 am 

Thanks for your help Mijzelf.

I now succeed in copying over the drive partitions 6, 7 and 8 with the images from the server.

But my LaCie NAS is still not running (I admit these partitions images look identical to those I took from my drive when it was OK).
I guess I'll need a full drive image backup (problem may be in MBR ?), or I'll have rebuild everything from scratch.

Anyone has a full drive backup or knows how to rebuild from laCie Linux source ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:40 pm 

On the LaCie 2big network the MBR is not used, only the primary partition table. The BIOS(?) just reads the partition table, and loads the kernel from the appropriate partition. I don't think EdMini will be different.
I suppose this is all about your box which died a week after you upgraded the harddisk? I'm afraid you've got a hardware problem. Maybe the new disk uses too much juice? Did you ever try to build back the original 500GB disk?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:53 pm 

The original disk Hitachi Deskstar 500Gb model P7K500 draws 360mA on 5V and 670mA on 12V as per the sticker on the drive.

The new disk Western Digital 1.5Tb Caviar Green model WD15EADS draws 700MA on 5V and 550mA on 12V as per sticker on the drive.

Also, the Hitachi website & PDF documentation talks about 1.3A on 5V and 2A on 12V max current at startup, and a total consumption of 3.6W at idle. The Western Digital website & PDF documentation doesn't talks about peak current on 5V but says 1.6A max on 12V, for a total consumption of 2.75W at idle.

Even though the new drive draws more current on the 5V, the LaCie external power supply is rated 4.2A on 5V and 3A on 12V which is a major safety factor. So I doubt it's a power supply problem.

But you are right, I'll have to try to re-install the drive partitions/image on the original hard disk to see if it changes something.

Thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:59 pm 

I did a test putting back the original Hitachi 500Gb drive.
Same thing / no sucess, although I can hear a sound looping at every 2 seconds coming from the HD (the Hitachi drive is simply louder than the WD, and yes the HD is good as it was now the main drive on another machine).

So I'm back to square one, it's either defective hardware (very unlikely to my opinion), or the clone image of the drive I made with Acronis to restart the HD isn't good.

Any suggestion ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:10 am 

Have you checked the Master Boot Record? The partition table is IN the MBR (of a working system :D)...