General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm 

Hi I am a basic PC User. I have the LaCie ED mini V2 which is 3 years old. Yesterday it disappeared of my network. I cant power on or off via the blue button. Im unable to access it via http://edmini or ip address. I have attempted access via usb 2.0. Pc does not recognise it. The disc sounds like it is constantly doing a quick spin all the time... as if a clock was ticking. Ive only used 277Gb of the 500Gb.. Its got 10,000 pictures on there which Im desperate to recover....

Some one please please help me....

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:15 pm 

Hm. I suppose it's to late to talk to you about backups?

Dave399 wrote:
The disc sounds like it is constantly doing a quick spin all the time... as if a clock was ticking.

Sounds to me as a broken disk. When your data is really valuable, you should take the disk to a professional data recovering company, but that will cost you several hundreds of euros at least.
When you're not that desperate, take the disk out the NAS, put it in an USB enclosure, and connect it to a Linux PC. (Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD or -usb stick will do).
Maybe you're lucky and is the problem in the Lacie's power supply. In that case you can read the disk without problems. When that doesn't work then *maybe* you can use ddrescue to create a low-level copy to another disk. (You'll need an empty disk, which is at least as big as your NAS disk).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm 

Thanks for that.... I generally do back up, however this was the back up of the hard drive which crashed on my desk top 6 months ago and was non recoverable..

I did notice this afternoon that the PSU LED is flashing in time with the noise of the drive. Could there be a faulty with the supply which is causing the drive to not work correctly..??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 pm 

Sure. The box draws maximum power when the disk is spinning up. When the power supply is faulty and cannot deliver that power, the voltage will decrease, causing the box to restart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 am 

You have to verify if your hard drive is functioning properly. You can download MHDD program to scan your drive.