General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 pm 

Hi all,

For those who enjoy the thrill of reflashing their ED Mini, I've built, flashed and tested a custom u-boot with support for the Macronix 512 KB flash (that's the one on my ED Mini). With respect to LaCie's, this u-boot has some additional commands enabled, and above all, a working saveenv, which means that you can actually modify environment variables and save those modifications. For instance, one can set up the ED Mini to automatically boot on power-up through TFTP and NFS without any manual intervention.

BEWARE! Any mistake and you end up with a LaCie paperweight instead of an NAS disk, and getting it back to life will require JTAG hardware!

I will make the patches to the LaCie u-boot, a binary and explanations available in the next few hours on my ED-Mini-related site (if you cannot see my website in my profile, just ask).

BEWARE! This works only with ED Mini V2s which have a Macronix MX29LV400CBCT.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:10 pm 

i just put the link to your webpage into the sidebar of http://lacie.nas-central.org

very interesting information, just read everything there.

its really a shame that LaCie ships the ED Mini v2 with a uboot that can`t really access the Macronix flash where uboot is stored. i suppose the only way to update uboot is from within linux isn`t it?

btw, i read about your efforts trying to create patches for the mainline kernel from GPL sources.....look at this thread where rosbif succesfully booted a patched vanilla kernel with initramfs, which actually was foonas-em for the Buffalo Linkstation Pro. Take a look at http://nas-central.org/index.php/Orion_ ... tion_guide to get more information about whats needed to change to add support to the vanilla kernel.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:10 pm 

Hi Mindbender,

Quote:
i just put the link to your webpage into the sidebar of http://lacie.nas-central.org

Thanks. :)

Quote:
i suppose the only way to update uboot is from within linux isn`t it?

Actually you can't do it from Linux, unless one rebuilds a kernel with Macronix support, and a root fs with the correct mtd entries and utilities. :cry:

What I did is patch u-boot, then build a RAM version (not fleasheable as it does not do all low-level inits in order to run from RAM) and a flashable version (which can boot from flash but cannot run from RAM). Then I ran the RAM version from the original flashed u-boot, then from the RAM version, I could load the flasheable version and flash it. Phew.

Details (hopefully correct) and files (correct, as they are the actual ones I used in my case) are at http://tweaky.aribaud.net/?q=node/39.

As for Linux, I'm currently working with rosbif on his patch set.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 pm 

just read your uboot page, quite brave to flash the uboot binary at first person :)

notice that the uboot source that you downloaded together with the GPL sources was (obviously) initially patched by marvell. the uboot source code is heavily patched...bbradley started working on a clean port of uboot for kurobox pro (which also means for other marvell orion based devices like the ED Mini v2):
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/v ... 112#p71112

in the same topic JTAG is for the LS Pro/LS Live/Kurobox Pro is discussed...but as rosbif has noted here the ED Mini v2 seems to have a "Lacie-style" serial/jtag port which is prepopulated with headers on the top right of http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Image ... op_big.jpg

welcome here btw.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:11 am 

Quote:
ust read your uboot page, quite brave to flash the uboot binary at first person :)

Well, I knew that the difference between my RAM-running u-boot and the on I would flash was only the enabling of the critical init code, so what could have gone wrong? :)
Quote:
bbradley started working on a clean port of uboot for kurobox pro (which also means for other marvell orion based devices like the ED Mini v2):
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/v ... 112#p71112

Thanks for the pointer. Actually, I already got in touch with bbradley (via Marvell folks) and will help porting to 1.3.3.
Quote:
in the same topic JTAG is for the LS Pro/LS Live/Kurobox Pro is discussed...but as rosbif has noted here the ED Mini v2 seems to have a "Lacie-style" serial/jtag port which is prepopulated with headers on the top right of http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Image

Well, I won't rely on my past luck for future u-boot 1.3.3 and Linux developements... JTAG it'll be, and upon bbradley's advice, I'll look into stitching OpenOCD with my already existing homebrew parallel-port JTAG... BDI2000's a bit out of my budget, even through e-Bay. :)
Quote:
welcome here btw.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 am 

aaribaud wrote:
I've built, flashed and tested a custom u-boot with support for the Macronix 512 KB flash.
Good job, I succesfully flashed my edminiv2 (I'm going to try installing debian on it), but I had to erase the flash before cp.b otherwise I was getting Copy to flash... Timeout writing to flash.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:46 am 

Quote:
Good job, I succesfully flashed my edminiv2 (I'm going to try installing debian on it),

Thanks. Glad it's useful to someone!

Quote:
but I had to erase the flash before cp.b otherwise I was getting Copy to flash... Timeout writing to flash.

(slapping myself repeatedly) Duh. Fixed the page, thanks for pointing this out!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 am 

Hello aaribaud!
Are you sure that the chip is "Macronix MX29LV400CBCT"?

My Lacie EdminiV2 has a "Macronix MX29LV400CBTC", and googling I can find several references about it, but I can find only a few about MX29LV400CBCT (most of them on your website)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 am 

boomby wrote:
Are you sure that the chip is "Macronix MX29LV400CBCT"?

My Lacie EdminiV2 has a "Macronix MX29LV400CBTC", and googling I can find several references about it, but I can find only a few about MX29LV400CBCT (most of them on your website)
It does indeed seem to be a mistake.
I have a MX29LV400CBTC as have several others.
Nobody else has reported having a MX29LV400CBCT.
Flavoie has confirmed that Albert's (aaribaud) U-Boot works on a MX29LV400CBTC in his post here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm 

I just flashed my Macronix on the ED Mini V2 and report it working!

Thanks for the tut!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:10 am 

Thanks Albert, very nice job indeed :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm 

Dear aaribaud,

I have a lacie internet space v1 which is quite similar to edmini v2. The flash chip is MX29LV400CTTC-55Q, and not MX29LV400CBCT. Can you provide the files with support for my flash chip?

Also, do youu have any indications on how to use zjtag on this device and how to wire the device to jtag adapter? (I have Tiao usb adapter).

Kind regards.