General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
@heavyarms: How are your disks organized? The D2 expects 2 disks, with identical partitions. And also, what does the webinterface say which kind of box you have? The rootfs decides on base of the kernel command line which box it has. Your box says 'D2 Next', but I don't know what a D2 says.

At the moment I am uploading the additional files of the update. You can extract them on partition 8 (as root), overwriting some of the files there already are.

BTW, it might be a good idea to install ssh, while you have partition 8 mounted. Instructions here.

I happen to attach 1 disk only but apparently I re-imaged the other hdd, copying the contents of disk 1, unfortunately same results, unable to read the disk size. And I noticed that the 2nd hdd is not at all warm, unlike the 1st hdd which is warm would I know that its working or is being accessed. The webinterface shows that its a d2 Network 2 and not d2 next as indicated in the board itself.

Thanks, I have downloaded and extracted the files, but again it halted my box. This is for the BigDisk and not for the d2 network, right? Do I need to try the uImage_BigDisk_3.10.10 or just the uImage_BigDisk? Anyways, I've used both and it halts the box. I think the best bet would be the uImage_d2Network but it does not detect the disks in the webinterface. Apologies but I will not be able to upload the serial output since I'm in the office now. Maybe later when I get home. Regarding the SSH, I'll install it later but that can only be if I'm using the d2 network 2 partitions and uImage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:06 am 

heavyarms wrote:
This is for the BigDisk and not for the d2 network, right? Do I need to try the uImage_BigDisk_3.10.10 or just the uImage_BigDisk? Anyways, I've used both and it halts the box. I think the best bet would be the uImage_d2Network but it does not detect the disks in the webinterface.
Looking at the differences in the Vanilla kernel between de D2 and the EBD, the boards are identical, from kernel point of view. So if uImage_d2Network boots, while the rest doesn't, just use it.
Lacie happens to re-use software a lot, in such a way that the D2 firmware could be identical to the EBD firmware, and it detects it's box from the commandline, provided by the bootloader. That's why I asked what nas type is shown in the user interface.

Quote:
but it does not detect the disks in the webinterface.
With some luck you can re-create the data partition (raid array, filesystem) directly on the box, and that might solve the problem. I have seen similar behavior in a Networkspace 2. But for that you'll need ssh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 am 

Here's the page if this helps:

And I have installed the SSH Daemon but can"t access it. Can you guide me instead? Sorry kinda noob here :(

Sorry but do I have to run it from a Windows Terminal? or my Linux box?

Code:
putty -i /full/path/to/EdMini.ppk -ssh root@<ip-of-edmini>

I'm getting "Network error, connection refused"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am 

*This* is your current webpage? :shock: Things are getting more and more weird. It says it's a D2 Network 2. I'm surprised the version 1 firmware even knows such a box exists.

About ssh, it seems the daemon is not started. I think the EBD doesn't start sysV scripts anymore, while the EdMini V2 did. According to rigacci.org a D2 already has ssh build-in, it only needs to be enabled. Don't know if that is also the case on your box.

You can try. Mount partition 8, and do
Code:
echo sshd >> /path/to/mountpoint/etc/initng/runlevel/default.runlevel
touch /path/to/mountpoint/var/log/lastlog
and then retry to connect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
*This* is your current webpage? :shock: Things are getting more and more weird. It says it's a D2 Network 2. I'm surprised the version 1 firmware even knows such a box exists.

Yes, that what I'm seeing and it's kinda weird. But atleast I was able to access it. The problem is no disks are available.

Code:
echo sshd >> /path/to/mountpoint/etc/initng/runlevel/default.runlevel
touch /path/to/mountpoint/var/log/lastlog

So I followed this but still getting the "refused connection error" got this in the serial output:

Code:
LaCix Linux release 2.2.5
Kernel 2.6.22.7 on an armv5tejl / ttyS0
DataServer login:   90% lvm             [done]          ( done in 2380ms )
  93% unicorn                           [started]       ( pid: 972 )
  96% sshd                              [started]       ( pid: 966 )
 100% runlevel/default                  [done]          ( done in 11702ms )

runlevel "runlevel/default" up in, 10948ms.

pm/smart_spindown                 [starting]
      pm/smart_spindown                 [started]       ( pid: 1046 )

unicorn daemon:
  modprobe: chdir(2.6.22.7): No such file or directory

fan_controller                    [starting]
      fan_controller                    [started]       ( pid: 1060 )
      ntpd                              [starting]
      ntpd                              [started]       ( pid: 1082 )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:45 pm 

You installed the D2 network 2 partition 8, didn't you? That explains why your webinterface states it's an D2-2, and why the dropbear script didn't start.

Try to ssh to port 2222. That's the one which is used by the D2-2 ssh daemon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:18 pm 

Yes that's right.

But still won't load on port 2222 with the same error :(

serial log if you need:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RJUVbE6jxWSi1RRFF1SU5xZjQ/edit?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm 

That bootlog looks good. Far less errors than I should have expected when a older kernel than expected is used. Only a few modules which can't be loaded. According to the log sshd should run. Can you do a port scan?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 pm 

I was confused the first time it booted and it loaded successfully. Yup, I'll try that when I come home. Currently in the office so nothing to do now. I'll reply later when I can. --Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 pm 

I was able to run the Port Scanner but its weird suddenly there is ssh on port 22:

and running C:\>putty -i EdMini.ppk -ssh root@192.168.100.6 goes to this:

But I can't enter any password :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm 

The rootpassword of a Lacie box is unknown. (To me. Maybe Lacie knows?) For that reason you'll have to use your private key from the dropbear package to login.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:56 pm 

-Well I guess I have given up on Lacie's firmware and have installed Debian from:

http://lacie-nas.org/doku.php?id=installdebian2big#useful_services

u-boot:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RJUVbE6jxWWXhVY0cyaDI5bWs/edit?usp=sharing
and serial:
Code:
login as: root
root@192.168.100.6's password:
Last login: Tue Jan  4 13:55:38 UTC 2000 on ttyS0
Linux DataServer 2.6.38-rc4-09713-ga6682f0-svn #16 PREEMPT Thu Feb 24 01:53:42 C       ET 2011 armv5tel

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@DataServer:~# mount
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /data type ext3 (rw)

I'm now able to run Debian on my box, problem now is that I'm not able to update it using the "apt-get update" always getting error:

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://ftp.tw.debian.org sid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY AED4B06F473       041FA NO_PUBKEY 8B48AD6246925553

and cannot install Samba :(

anyways I'm almost done downloading from this topic: viewtopic.php?f=151&t=5435

I'm going to extract the partition images if needed and check whether it really is different from "EBD"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:05 am 

Code:
gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key  AED4B06F473041FA       
su
gpg -a --export AED4B06F473041FA | apt-key add -
And repeat for the other key.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:53 pm 

Hey thanks. Anyways it was the date that caused the problem. After I changed it I successfully installed Samba. Any recommended web interface for debian? 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 pm 

Recommended? None. A few years ago I tried a few webinterfaces on my NSA220 running Debian Lenny. That box is quite equal to yours, Marvel Orion@500MHz, 128MB memory, and they all turned out to be sluggish. The box just doesn't have enough juice to run a 'normal' webinterface. The generic webinterfaces around are designed for much more powerful servers.

You can have a look at OpenWRT. It also has a webinterface (Luci) and it's designed for routers. So your powerful nas should be able to run it flawlessly. I *think* you can get it running by just extracting the generic roots to your root partition. Of course this will replace Debian.

But my actual recommendation is to stick with the commandline. It's a bit harder (actually not much, in my opinion) and far more powerful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next