Won't bot. Please help

smodak

Won't bot. Please help

Post by smodak » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm

I have a 1TB Ethernet big disk that won't boot. Cannot access though network, cannot access though USB. I hear the drives spinning. I see the blue light on the button (I don't see much activity there though). I am not sure whether one or both the drives gave up or there is some other problem. I have not opened the case yet.

Is there any chance of recovering the data?

If I buy two hard drives (500GB), can I rebuild it?

I have seen the partitions of EDmini posted somewhere on this forum and can boot my PC through a linux live CD (ubuntu) but then what? How do I connect the drives? Do I connect each drive individually though IDE and restore the partitions in each drive? I thought the two new drives have to show up as a spanned 1TB drive before I restore the partitions, right? How do I do that? The moment I connect new drives to teh controller, they would show up as the 1TB? How do I connect it to the Linux PC?

What are my options?

As you can see, I am really confused...so, please help

Tubarao

Re: Won't bot. Please help

Post by Tubarao » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 pm

A late reply, but it could help others..
smodak wrote:I have a 1TB Ethernet big disk that won't boot. Cannot access though network, cannot access though USB. I hear the drives spinning. I see the blue light on the button (I don't see much activity there though). I am not sure whether one or both the drives gave up or there is some other problem. I have not opened the case yet.
Very often, this is a problem with the powersupply. Try changing it (buy a new one, or get it replaced by warranty). If you are still under warranty, contact LaCie support.
smodak wrote:Is there any chance of recovering the data?
Most probably yes, if it's not a disk failure.. ;)
smodak wrote:If I buy two hard drives (500GB), can I rebuild it?
Everything is possible, but I wouldn't try it as my first choice of actions...
smodak wrote:I have seen the partitions of EDmini posted somewhere on this forum and can boot my PC through a linux live CD (ubuntu) but then what? How do I connect the drives? Do I connect each drive individually though IDE and restore the partitions in each drive? I thought the two new drives have to show up as a spanned 1TB drive before I restore the partitions, right? How do I do that? The moment I connect new drives to teh controller, they would show up as the 1TB? How do I connect it to the Linux PC?
See http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Ether ... a_recovery for a possible solution.