General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:15 pm 

Hi All

I have exactly the same problem as here after trying to install SSH and got kernel told old issue.

After trying for a long time i did the following :

Cleared the whole drive
Rebuilt the partitions exactly as on the site :

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 125 1004031 5 Extended
/dev/sdb2 126 60801 487379970 83 Linux
/dev/sdb5 1 16 128457 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb6 17 17 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sdb7 18 18 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sdb8 19 34 128488+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdb9 35 125 730926 83 Linux

Then got the images off the site :

dd if=sda6 of=/dev/sdb6
dd if=sda7 of=/dev/sdb7
dd if=sda8 of=/dev/sdb8

Did exactly this and formatted # mke2fs -j /dev/sda9 so this drive is now identical. Still no boot, drive reads for two seconds and goes quiet.

Do I understand correctly that the OS is only on the one drive (this is Ethernetbigdisk) as it was the left drive that had crashed and the EBD was booting but no drives were visible in the web console. I cant really figure out what im doing wrong, any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:55 pm 

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem after trying to install SSH and got kernel told old issue.

Quote:
as it was the left drive that had crashed and the EBD was booting but no drives were visible in the web console.
Which one is true?

The EBD has it operation system on *both* drives, in raid1. When your datapartition is/was in raid0 or jbod it's not valid anymore, after a disk crash, and maybe that's why it didn't show up anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm 

The left drive crashed. The EBD would boot and web console was accessible but no shares were visible and when I went into the "disk" section it showed no drives or drive information like size etc.

I took out the left drive and connected it to a pc and the bios doesnt pick that drive up at all. Tried in more than one machine.

So it did boot on only one drive. Does it matter which drive containing SDA and SDB is located where? I think this is what the problem is, ive labelled the right drive with SDB and tried to only boot from it. Will now label both correctly - Right should be SDA and left SDB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:59 am 

mono2 wrote:
Does it matter which drive containing SDA and SDB is located where?
No. the raidmanager (mdadm) deals with that. However, I can imagine that when you've got only one disk, you cannot use either slot.

Did you clean up the right disk, and put EDmini v2 partitions on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:20 pm 

Yes, to explain from the beginning. The left disk crashed totally dead PC bios doesnt even pick it up.

The EBD was booting on only one disk. I then bought another disk and was in process of installing it and also decided to hack EBD to get telnet, that was working fine until I tried to update glibc and got the kernel crash issue.

Anyway, i then recreated the partitions on one drive exactly as they are on the site and installed the images as found here. (Problem was i didnt correctly back up the drive before I started messing with it)

Im going to try create partitions on both drives SDA and SDB maybe that helps, although it did boot before on one only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:58 pm 

Don't!

When I understand you well, then you have now 1 disk with EdMini partitions, which doesn't boot, and 1 disk with Big Disk partitions, with the 'kernel to old' error.

Take the 'Big Disk' disk, and make a backup of sdx8/lib, and copy the contents of sdx7/lib over sdx8/lib. Try to boot from that disk. If it doesn't boot, try to copy the contents of EdMini/sdx8/lib

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 am 

Sorry Im causing confusion here.

The situation is like this

Ive had to clear both drives now. So I dont have the original OS that the EBD was running.

Ive downloaded the images, setup the partitions as per this forum and formatted all the partitions correctly. Im still doing something wrong as I can hear that the drive reads for a few seconds and goes silent. There is also nothing in sdb9 even after boot which makes me beleive the OS doesnt even initialise. Any ideas on what else I could try?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 pm 

mono2 wrote:
Im still doing something wrong as I can hear that the drive reads for a few seconds and goes silent.
Is not surprising. You are trying to boot your EBD with a EdMiniV2 kernel. This kernel can be stripped down to save ram, and support only the EdMiniV2 hardware. When the EBD has a different SATA controller, for instance, it won't boot.
On the other hand, the GPL sources for for the EdMiniV2 and the EBD are the same, and I can't find different .config files for the two boxes. So they should have the same kernel.

Did you try it with both one and two drives, and did you try the single drive in both slots?