General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm 

Hi,

I have a 1TB ethernet Big Disk, but after the summer vacation I've found it with all the shares broken.

I have already had this problem about 5 months ago. Lacie support suggested me to reset the harddrive and recreate the shares with the same name, In that case it worked, but now, I cannot access to my data inside the box.

Today I've found your website and I thought that If I can gain SSH access I can try to recover the data manually... but I've followed the instruction found here (for the EDMINI):

http://www.federated.com/~jim/edmini/

but the Big Disk has TWO hard drives inside... so I don't know how to continue...

someone can help me? I've about 900gigs of data inside.... thanks.

Francesco
Italy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:54 pm 

Reading the story I understand it's all about partitions 7 and 8. According to this thread the userdata is in partition 2. According to SmallNetBuilder the Big Disk has two disks in JBOD. So I suppose the 2nd disk has only one partition, which is 'bunched to' partition 2 of the first disk.

So have a look on the partition tables. The one with 9 partitions is disk 1, from which you can happily customize partition 7 and 8, and the one with only one partition is disk 2, which you shouldn't touch. (You should also not touch partition 2 of disk 1, since it doesn't contain a legitimate file system without adding disk 2)

Disclaimer: This is only which I concluded from the websites. I don't own a Big Disk myself. (Actually I don't own any LaCie). It is possible that LaCie has changed it's technique for this disk, in which case you can't apply this hack anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:54 pm 

what I need in this case is to recover the data... is there any way to read this partition as a single volume on a linux box? (or macosx?)..

The Nas works, so I don't need to recover the boot image like ovasquez

any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 am 

Maybe. When you connect both drives to a linux box, you could use this command:
Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc1
to assemble the array. I this case I assume your box doesn't have a raid array already, in which case /dev/md0 is occupied and you should use /dev/md1, and the disk 1 is /dev/sdb and disk 2 is /dev/sdc, and my theory about BD disk usage is correct. You should really check the partition tables first.
Well, assuming mdadm doesn't complain, you can continue:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/mydata
mount -r /dev/md0 /mnt/mydata
Maybe you'll have to specify a filesystem.