General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:56 pm 

You're right; there isn't a daemon.
Most of the magic is done by the edmini_button.c driver.

With the LaCie kernel, the following should enable you to do a poweroff from the command line:-
    echo POWER:HALT > /proc/edmini
    reboot

It works for me on an EDmini v2 with the LaCie kernel and a Debian etch rootfs.
(However the LaCie kernel is too old to work with Debian testing (future lenny) or sid which I generally use.)

If it works for you, you could obviously put these commands in a script, an alias or a shell function.

I haven't tried the power button.
I'll edit this post if I have time to try later.
EDIT: I tried but as you say it doesn't seem to work. Possibly it needs a modified init.

HTH.

Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:14 pm 

rosbif wrote:

There is also driver for i2c. Do you think that is also magical or the importance of it is minor?

rosbif wrote:
With the LaCie kernel, the following should enable you to do a poweroff from the command line:-echo POWER:HALT > /proc/edminireboot

Yay..it works! Thank you very much! :D.
I have also enjoyed a little bit with LED, via LED:100/300 "command" :).

rosbif wrote:
I haven't tried the power button.I'll edit this post if I have time to try later.EDIT: I tried but as you say it doesn't seem to work. Possibly it needs a modified init.

Now when I know how to turn device off, it is just a script matter :).

rosbif wrote:
HTH.

Yes, it definitely helped! :). Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:24 am 

kosmaty wrote:
rosbif wrote:

There is also driver for i2c. Do you think that is also magical or the importance of it is minor?

The EEPROM (aka NVRAM) which stores the ethernet MAC address and the magic value telling U-Boot to turn the power off is on an I2C (aka TWSI) bus.
AIUI the LaCie kernel needs this I2C driver to access the EEPROM.
Remark: the RTC (Real Time Clock) is also on an I2C bus.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 am 

Ok. Thank you for your answers! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:54 am 

If this is still an active topic ........

I just this weekend received a new, in the retail sealed factory box, 2TB EBD. Stole it is more like it. $104.16USD, $114.15USD including DELIVERY! Don't ask me how cuz I don't know, other than the Seller only listed it as "Hard Drive". At that price I decided to use the HD's in another purpose other than Lacie's BIG schema. I much prefer redundancy.

Problem is I took the HD's(HDS721010KLA330 (0A33863)) out and ONLY SO FAR have used XP's Disk Manager to delete the partitions. No formatting them or any other, just deleted the partitions thank heavens.

After reading this topic I'm trying ATM to use TestDisk 6.10 in a shot to recover the partitions. Then create and and post an disk image to help out here.

If this doesn't work, anyone here know a method to restore deleted XFS partitions? I'm open to suggestions.

I've got to turn in for the night. The EBDs "system' disk and TestDisk are purring along inside the lone free DataPort 10 that that machine houses. TestDisk has discovered 4 partitions so far.

Keep ya posted.

peace,
wd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:19 pm 

Well, that didn't work.

TestDisk complained that there wasn't sufficient size to write 2000GB/1863GB. Though it did find all the partitions!

Next up is to place both HD's back in the EBD and see if TestDisk can locate the pair over LaCies funky "IP over USB". Sadly, I don't expect TestDisk to locate the EBD over ethernet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 pm 

Nothing I tried could see the pair while in the EBD housing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:59 am 

What is the purpose of this? Are you trying to recover the partitions just to post the images here?
Quote:
TestDisk complained that there wasn't sufficient size to write 2000GB/1863GB. Though it did find all the partitions!
I never used testdisk. Can you specify which partitions have to be written? You can try to skip the userdata partition, which could be around 1.8TB. I suppose testdisk cannot restore it because half of it is on the 2nd disk.
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me. According to SmallNetBuilder the Big Disk has two disks in JBOD. The USB exposes only one device, which means the BD OS is involved, and you wiped that. I suppose it's completely dead in USB mode?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
What is the purpose of this? Are you trying to recover the partitions just to post the images here?
Quote:

Thought I'd at least try and help someone before proceeding further.

wardog wrote:
Mijzelf wrote:
That doesn't surprise me. According to SmallNetBuilder the Big Disk has two disks in JBOD. The USB exposes only one device, which means the BD OS is involved, and you wiped that. I suppose it's completely dead in USB mode?

Well it's not JBOD, instead it's RAID0. And this is straight from LaCie Tech Support. I spoke with them tonight.

I've since placed both in one of the Biggest S2S boxes I have here, configured them as RAID0 and started TestDisk.

Here's what I'm seeing so far:

Code:
TestDisk 6.10, Data Recovery Utility, July 2008
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

Disk /dev/sdc - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB - CHS 243199 255 63
Analyse cylinder 122892/243198: 50%

Linux SWAP 2                  0   2  1             15 254 45               256896
  ext3                         17   1  1             17 254 61                16000
  ext3                         18   1  1             33 254 62               256976
  ext3                         34   1  1            124 254 59              1461848
  XFS 4                       125   0  1         243202  67 62           3905036288
  XFS 4                       647  42 33         122123  42 28           1951511936

I can almost make sense of the above. Bit confusing though. Cs, Hs, and Ss don't quite align.

Then there's a nagging in my head that the S2S writes a "Config Disk' partition on it when you configure it via the Biggest S2S UI. I'll have to wait until TestDisk is finished scanning(no writing partitions at this point) and then bring the volume up in XP's Disk Management to double check myself about the "Config Disk' partition. I didn't think about that until I saw it when TestDisk started.

This might be my last shot at attempting to help a fellow user out unless a better idea is brought forward for me to take a stab at. I'd forgotten all about being able to utilize the S2S box until today while I was at work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:08 am 

Quote:
That's the attitude!
Quote:
Well it's not JBOD, instead it's RAID0.
Pity. I don't see any advantage in RAID0 above JBOD for these devices. RAID0 can give a performance gain, but in a NAS like this the bottleneck is either the network or the processor. When 1 disk dies you still can recover some data from a JBOD, but not from a RAID0. Did tech support say why they did so?
Quote:
I've since placed both in one of the Biggest S2S boxes I have here, configured them as RAID0
Do you mean they are RAID0 on disk-base and not on partition-base?

When you compare your partitions to this list it makes sense. The 3 ext3 partitions (part #6-8) start at x-1-1, because they are in a linked extended partition list. At x-0-1 is a link to the next extended partition. ext3 #3 seems to big to be part#8, but maybe part#9 is inside. XFS 4#1 is a primary partition starting at x-0-1, which is about 2 TB, as expected. XFS 4#2 is junk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:58 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Quote:
That's the attitude!

:) I've been helped over the years through posting on forums, so I feel it my duty to stand and deliver where and when possible.

Mijzelf wrote:
Pity. I don't see any advantage in RAID0 above JBOD for these devices. RAID0 can give a performance gain, but in a NAS like this the bottleneck is either the network or the processor. When 1 disk dies you still can recover some data from a JBOD, but not from a RAID0. Did tech support say why they did so?

I didn't press the Techie on why RAID0 vs JBOD. And yes, I agree wholeheartedly on the possibility of recoverability in JBOD. I wish I could saturate what I have here :lol: . Though many buy the gigabit outfitted devices thinking otherwise, it just ain't gonna happen on this type of "consumer' oriented devices. Now when FC goodies begin dropping in price .............

Mijzelf wrote:
When you compare your partitions to this list it makes sense. The 3 ext3 partitions (part #6-8) start at x-1-1, because they are in a linked extended partition list. At x-0-1 is a link to the next extended partition. ext3 #3 seems to big to be part#8, but maybe part#9 is inside. XFS 4#1 is a primary partition starting at x-0-1, which is about 2 TB, as expected. XFS 4#2 is junk.

You know/understand more concerning the RAID aspect of this predicament than, knock on wood. I can look at a single disk and not be confused, but this is a wee bit different to me. I won't have time until this weekend to let TestDisk make a full run on 'em. From the 50% I coded above to 56% it(TD) had located another two XFS 4 partitions and for the life of me at this moment I don't remember their sizes. TD races to 50% then slows way way down in processing the drives and I had to get to bed.

I'll move the S2S and these EBD disks over to another machine this weekend. One I'm not all too concerned with leaving running and post the TD findings. Maybe, hopefully you'll see this post and reply which partitions I should write.

Till then,
wd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm 

Actually this has nothing to do with RAID. When RAID is supplied at disklevel, the partition table is just a table of an ordinary 2TB disk.

You should save the 3 ext3 partitions, which corresponds to part#6-#8 in the list. It would be nice if you had 4 of them, since part#9 is not yet provided here. But your part#8 is big. Maybe LaCie changed their mind and merged part#8 and #9?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:03 pm 

Last night the Wife mistakenly powered off the wrong machine. TestDisk had run for like 17+hrs and now things appear more hosed than they were before.

I'll call LaCie tomorrow or the next but don't hold out hope they'll help me at all. If that's the case, my apologies to all. I only wish now that I'd have found this thread earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 am 

'the Wife' and 'mistakenly' are almost synonyms. ;) Thanks for the effort anyway.