2big boot issue

tyskern

2big boot issue

Post by tyskern » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi all.
I got a 3tb 2big disk. Got a problem with it that it does not boot. The blue light on front is just flashing for hours, and apparently this means its booting.
Plan A is to get it to boot up and work normally again.
anyone on this issue?

Plan B is to take one of the disks and mount it externally on my Mac using a USB-icybox dock.
I tried plan B and OS X does not recognise it. It sees a 3gb drive though.
Now its been a couple of years, but Im pretty sure its a Raid-1, meaning mirrored drives.
Are these nas-drives in some special bootable weird format that makes external mount hard?
Any software I could use to get it to work?

Thanks for reading this far, and extra thanks in advance for any help..

Torbjørn

Mijzelf

Re: 2big boot issue

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't think OSX is capable of mounting that disk. If it's a 2Big Network 2 (it can't be a 2Big Network, with 3TB disks inside), the data volume is in a Linux software raid array on partition 2.

So you need a Linux system. Linux in a VM can do the job, if you can forward the raw disk or the usb port to the VM. About usb, many USB-Sata convertors will show 4k logical sectors, when the disk is >2TiB. In that case it won't work, as the partition table is in sectors, and the 'real' logical sector size of all mainstream Sata disks is 512B.

Jocko

Post by Jocko » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Mijzelf

For your knownledege, Lacie sold a 2big nas (name on the sticker) with 3Tb disks.

In fact it is an update version of the 2big2 with another cpu : Feroceon 88f6282 so a kirkwood modele. The name of the PCB: 2big nas V2R.
You can find information on Internet by searching with 2big nas review or 2big nas v2 review. Produce code is 9000226 (and 2000345 diskless version)
http://www.techwarelabs.com/lacie-2big- ... -review/2/

tyskern

Post by tyskern » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 pm

yes it is a 3tb 2big nas.
and seems these nas have an Extfx file system, this is readable by a linux system. not win or OS X.
Maybe thats common knowledge, but I actually did not know.

Luckily I found a OSX software for reading this format.
There is a couple of them out there.
Tried some without luck, but the ExtFx for Mac by Paragon software actually works fine and mounts the disk via a USB dock.
..a bit of advertising there, but sometimes they deserve it.