General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm 

Hello everyone,

After receiving this NAS, I have successfully done all the current firmware versions and have it up to 2.2.8

I then replaced 1 drive first, did the claim/format, and then the 2nd drive and formatted the raid.

However, the unit sees 6TB of drive space, but after initializing the Raid 1, it shows 2.0TB

Shouldn't this be showing 2.7TB? I am going to set this into JBOD mode, and do a format, and then set it back to Raid 1 to see if this is resolved-
Any insight would be great- Thank you much!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:20 pm 

Any luck with upgrading your 2big Networks storage capacity??

I'm thinking about installing two 4TB HDDs in my 2big..
LaCie support claims that the 2big Network v1 (which mine is) only supports up to 2TB HDDs.

I don't really know anything about Linux - But I've heard that Linux doesn't really care about disk size.. If that's true, then LaCie support must be wrong - Or what??

Right now the NAS is running the 2.2.8 firmware - Unfortunately I can't install NAS OS 2 or 3.. The v1 is too old for that - That's what LaCie support claims anyway.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:37 am 

The problem is not Linux and the disksize, as the kernel on your box supports large volumes. The problem is the partition table. The 'classic' MBR partition table (which is around since DOS 2.0, 1982) stores the start- and endsector of partitions in a 32 bit field, which means the highest addressable sectornumber is 2^32 - 1, ~ 4000000000. As a sector is 512 bytes, this means no partitions can be made beyond the 2TiB border.
Disks bigger than that have to use another partitioning system, for instance GPT. (Actually I have never heard of another partitioning system supporting >2TiB).

The problem is that the 2Big v1 firmware doesn't support GPT partitions. And even if you would succeed in putting OS 3 on the box, it wouldn't boot, because the bootloader (some low-level software in rom) needs to load the Linux kernel from disk, which is located in partition 6. But the bootloader doesn't understand GPT, so it wouldn't be able to find the kernel.

However, as always there is a work around, only not using Lacie firmware. If you install a custom firmware, for instance fvdw_sl, and are not afraid for some low-level hacking, it is possible to generate a hybrid partition table. I wrote about that here.

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't install NAS OS 2 or 3.. The v1 is too old for that - That's what LaCie support claims anyway.
Basically Lacie just dropped support for the v1 models. They don't make firmware upgrades anymore. 'Too old' is nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:12 am 

Darn...

I'm not into doing anything as advanced as changing the firmware on my NAS. I don't have the skills for that. - I'm not even sure what a "kernel" is :shock: - I know - Google is my friend :D

I am aware of the 512 byte sector size problem, but only at a very superficial level..

HGST has the Advanced Drive Format that emulates 512 byte sectors (I think) - Will that do me any good??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

I'm afraid you missed the point. The problem is not the sector size, but the maximum addressable number of sectors. And no, using an 'advanced format' disk doesn't help. Actually it introduces theoretically a new problem, the partitions will be misaligned, slowing the disks down. (Although I don't think it will be noticeable, as the disk is *far* faster than the NAS).

I'm afraid that without a fairly good understanding of how partitions and Linux work, you won't get this box to use more than 2TiB of a disk. (Which is by the way 2.2TB. So compared to a 2TB disk you *do* get 10% more.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:52 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I'm afraid you missed the point.
- Yeah, I get that a lot :D Especially when it comes to computers...

I just thought the 4K sector size would mean that the total number of sectors would remain the same. And HGST do claim that the disk emulates 512 sector sizes..
BUT - I'm no way near being a computer wizard (guess you already know that by now) ;)

I was just offered a great deal on two "HUS724040ALE640" at $180 a piece...

Guess I have to go hunting for a new NAS. - What to choose, what to choose? (But that's another thread!!!!!)

Thank you for your help!!!!

Kind regards