General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2Big not starting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 pm 

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2Big Network (v1) claimed to be not working. It has 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda but one of them is broken because of click of death.

The other hard drive is untouched from Lacie (as claimed by the vendor). Is it possible that this NAS cannot boot with only one disk?

Or could be the fact that the vendor was using this nas in RAID 0 so the data are already been compromised?

I'm thinking of buying 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda. Would the 2Big Network work well with them?

Thanks!

PS Sorry for my bad english but I'm not from England or whatever other place which talk english!

Post subject: Re: 2Big not starting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 am 

AFAIK this box should boot fine on a single disk. Of course the data on the raid0 data partition is damaged, and maybe there is no way to re-create the volume, but the OS is on raid1, and should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:03 pm 

Mmmm ... it simply doesn't start. Well, this is the situation. Whenever I plug in the power cord it starts up, front light is flashing blue/red (and then off completely) and back light stay solid blue (the one of the hard disk) and the other back light (that refer to the empty space (hard disk was broken and I pulled it out) continues to blink blue.
Power switch doesn't do anything, it seems to be unresponsive. If I plug in the power cord the box switches on regardless its position (OFF-AUTO-ON).

One time the box stopped blinking but the front light was solid red.

I've also tried a different power supply with no luck.

Should I re-install the software on the disk? (I've read that the OS reside on the disk (a little bit strange for me but that's only my opinion) but there are no original images available for downloading)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:58 pm 

Have you tried to put the disk in the other slot? Maybe the box can only boot from 1 slot.

lupinThe3rd wrote:
I've read that the OS reside on the disk (a little bit strange for me but that's only my opinion)
Why would that be strange? Every PC in the world has it's OS on disk.

Quote:
but there are no original images available for downloading
I have images here, but installing them is not easy. Somewhere in this subforum you can find a long thread about installing it. When I remember well most people didn't succeed. If you only want 'a' OS, and not necessarily Lacie OS, I recommend you to have a look at fvdw-sl, which has better support.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm 

Unfortunately I'm not able to register to plugout.

I'have tried the second slot but nothing. The box has solid blue light on the back and solid red light on the front.

Maybe I'll try to restore those original images.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:38 am 

lupinThe3rd wrote:
Unfortunately I'm not able to register to plugout.
Send a pm to fvdw, who is also active on this forum.

Quote:
Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm 

Quote:
Good luck with that.[/quote]

Well, preparing only one harddisk should be fine right? Right now I haven't got the second one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm 

A single disk? I doubt. There are two approaches for installing Lacie OS, the 'new disk' approach, and the 'used disk' approach.

The 'new disk' approach is basically to tell the firmware there is a set of new, virginal disks. In that case you'll have to write a special marker, somewhere, which tells the firmware it's the first boot. The firmware will setup things, and everybody is happy. Problem is that the firmware scripts will wait until they have seen 2 disks.

The 'used disk' approach is to offer an existing installation, and just tell the firmware to boot it. Unfortunately there is some small eeprom, where the GUID's of the raid arrays are written. The firmware will refuse to boot if the GUID doesn't match. So it's not easy to produce a credible, 'used disk'. You'll have to apply the right GUID's for the raid arrays, or you'll have to change the values in the eeprom.
(Or you have to change the scripts. But as the scripts are embedded in the kernel, that is no easy task)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm 

Ok, but even with two new disks, I'll have to partition all of the two disks like written in the wiki right?

Cannot put two new disks unformatted and hope that the NAS will configure them right? :-)