General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:45 pm 

I've read a lot about the possibly of the 2Big Network's hard drives or power adapters failing, but I appear to have a failed enclosure! My 2Big 1TB powers up and the hardware seems to be behaving normally, but the router can't see the 2Big on the network and it isn't recognised by IPConfigurator or LaCie Network Assistant software.

The only indication that there might be something wrong with the hardware is when I flick the switch at the back to 'off', nothing happens. If I pull the plug on it then plug it in again, the 2Big stays off until I flick the switch to 'on', so the switch is working half of the time at least.

The problem started when I replaced my router. I have tried the 2Big with different cables and computers, and even gone back to the old router again, but it won't talk to anything. Unless somebody here has any miracle cures to offer, I can't see any way to get at my data apart from putting my old drives into a new enclosure. According to LaCie's website (https://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10573&article=1488), a case swap into another 2Big Network is possible. But the product was discontinued a while ago, so can I put my old 2Big Network drives into a newer enclosure, such as a 2Big Network 2?

I'm not very technical so the only thing I can add is that they are two 500GB mirrored drives, and I'm pretty sure I updated the firmware to the latest version 2.2.8. I'm using an iMac so putting a drive into another computer isn't an option, alas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:21 pm 

No, you can't. On a Lacie the OS is installed on the disk(s), and the kernel of a 2Big won't run on a 2Big2. You can read the data using any Linux system. Your iMac booted from an Linux Live USB stick will do. In your case the disks are mirrored, so you need to connect only one disk. An usb enclosure can be used.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

Thanks! That is as I suspected then.

I tried booting my iMac from a USB stick (several times, in fact) but it failed in a variety of ways. I haven't given up on the idea though so I'll keep trying.

I have here one of those 500gb black LacCie USB hard drives. I don't do anything with it (and it's from the same era as the 2Big) so would this do the job as an enclosure? It looks a bit fiddly to get into though, so can you recommend any particular enclosure as an alternative?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm 

AFAIK any usb enclosure will do. Both SATA and 'USB-mass storage' are standard enough. It becomes tricky when the disk is bigger than 2TB (=2^32 sectors), but that won't be the case with your ancient disks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:46 pm 

Thanks again! I never thought of my disks as ancient but I suppose they are really. Looks like this is going to be my Christmas project...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:49 am 

After trying with two Macs, two USB sticks and two Linux distros, I gave up trying to boot up with Linux on a Mac. Instead, I borrowed a PC laptop and used the Mac version of UNetbootin to create a Ubuntu USB stick for the laptop.

The Linux boot was successful so I removed the disk from the LaCie external hard drive case (it turned out to be a very simple job in the end, thanks to a YouTube video) and swapped it for one of the 2Big RAID disks. As I type, the PC is now copying the contents of the old 2Big RAID disk to my new Synology RAID.

My only worry at this point is that Ubuntu says it is only copying 81gb of data, even though I dumped the whole of the disk onto the new RAID in case there were hidden files on it as well. I didn't keep too close an eye on it but I'm sure there was more like 350gb of data on the 2Big RAID.

Also, when I search with Ubuntu, I can't locate any filenames that correspond to files or folders I know are on the 2Big disk. Is my data invisible or encrypted, or something like that? Hopefully things will become clearer once the transfer is finished, but right now I'm concerned that I might just be copying over LaCie's operating system files and not my own data.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 am 

Sclub wrote:
but right now I'm concerned that I might just be copying over LaCie's operating system files and not my own data.
That is perfectly possible. The disk has 3 partitions containing firmware (which are part of 3 raid arrays), and only 1 partition containing user data.
The size of 80GB could be firmware.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:33 am 

Having gone through all the folders, I think that 80gb is indeed just the firmware. I had to return the PC laptop this morning but I can borrow it again at the weekend, so I have a few days to ponder what to do next. I guess the question now is can all the partitions be accessed somehow with Ubuntu itself or with some kind of utility software?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am 

After a quick Google search, it looks like delving into Ubuntu's version of Terminal might be one way to do it: http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/ ... age-device