General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: 2Big Drive Image help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:17 pm 

Ok guys...

Got a small problem and it's basically the fault of the design of the Lacie2big.

It's a NAS box, but it isn't really.

I've got other NAS boxes and they've easy to use, you stick your drive in and access it for configuration. Everything is in the hardware basically, but not with the Lacie2big.

For some god awful reason the hardware on the 2big is just that, hardware or the just the interface, everything is stored on the drives themselves, something that Lacie does not mention.

So if you decide to upgrade the 2big with new drives you cannot do it at all, or you can but you've got to purchase the drives from Lacie ONLY at a ridiculously marked up cost.

So my problem is that I didn't know that this is how things worked, I pulled the drives with the intention of putting larger ones in, of course I formatted them, thus killing the system.

My request is a disc image of the drives from someone who has the 2Big so I can restore the 2big to working order again.

PM me please if you've got access to the disc image, I'll give you access to my NAS box so you can upload them to me, need both images, and I'll even throw you $5 for your time.

Removing the drives voided the warranty, and lacie will not help, their suggestion is to buy new drives from them, and they want $99.99 plus shipping for a 500gig drive.

any help is appreciated, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:28 pm 

Hello Darth.

I have the 1.5TB and the 2TB versions of the Lacie 2-Big Network if that helps. Mine are the old style before they put Twonky Media on it.

Also I am trying to do the same as you, upgrade / replace with bigger drives in. For info I just replaced the 750 gig drives in my ordinary 2-Big Triple ( not NAS) with 2 of the new Samsung F2 Spinpoint 1.5 Gig drives. This worked with Safe and JBOD modes but not with BIG (concatenation) mode. So even if you get the image back installed on your drive, you might have this extra problem as well. A post here:-

http://wwward.typepad.com/blog/2007/09/ ... -repl.html

had the most relevent info when I searched for a solution, though its for the Lacie Big Disk NAS drive. I will persevere and report back. Meanwhile say If my images are of use.

regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:46 pm 

I would love it if you could send me an disk image to try out. I currently have two 1.5 GB Seagates and was planning on only using the Safe mode anyway. Let me know if this is a possibility.

Thanks again for the reply.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 am 

hello Darth.

Will try this evening. Not sure if I can get a dsk image from a Linux formatted disk using a Mac or a Windows PC. If that doesnt work I'll try booting from a Linux CD. If anyone has advice on how to make a disk image from the 2-Big drives using Ubuntu please jump in here as I have never used Linux.

regards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm 

First you need to find out the partitiontable. Open a terminal (somewhere in the startmenu), and type
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

This will show the partition tables for all attached drives. Locate the 2Big disk, and the 'normal' disk. Let's say the normal disk is /dev/sda, and the 2Big disk is /dev/sdb.
Type
Code:
mount
to find out where your 'normal' drive is mounted. This can be something like /media/C, or /mnt/Windows_C.

Dump the partition table of the 2Big disk:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb > /mnt/Windows_C/partition_table

Now unmount all partitions of the 2Big disk. You've got the devices from fdisk, they are called /dev/sdbx, where x is a number.
Code:
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo umount /dev/sdb2

You need to dump all partitions, except swap, extended and the data partition (the data partition will be the biggest (I hope ;) ))
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sdbx | gzip > /mnt/Windows_C/partitionx.gz

This will dump and zip the contents of partition x.

This .gz files and the partition table are needed to reconstruct the drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 pm 

Mijzelf, thank you for the instructions. Could you also include the how to restore the image to the Lacie 2Big. I have some Linux knowledge but not enough to dare do this job without professional assistance.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:24 pm 

Professional assistance? In that case you'll have to look for someone else, I'm afraid. ;)

Anyway, you'll have to do the reverse. Use the dump of the partition table to make a copy of it, using fdisk. All partitions need to be at least as big as in the original, else the dump's won't fit. It likely won't hurt when they are slightly bigger. Of course the data partition fills the remaining space.

Fill the partitions:
Code:
sudo gzip -d /path/to/partitionx.gz | dd of=/dev/sdbx

Then prepare the swap partition (if any)
Code:
sudo mkswap /dev/sdbx

And the data partition
Code:
sudo mke2fs -j /dev/sdbx
(I hope ext3 will work) You should exchange all x'es by the real values.

Then cross your fingers and try your newly created disk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:21 pm 

Help request from Mijzelf.

Thanks for the instructions. I am now trying to follow them to get the files for Darth. When I type MOUNT I get :-

/dev/sda5 on /
proc on /proc
varrun on /var/run
varlock on /var/lock
udev on /dev
devpts on /dev/pts
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connection
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.28/volatile
securitfs on /sys/kernal/security
binfmt-misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt-misc
gvfs-fuse-demon on /home/shaun/.gvfs

which of these is my "home" drive ?

regards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 pm 

Did you install a Linux distro aside Windows?
/dev/sda5 (the first logical partition in an extended partition) is mounted on /, and this is the only 'real' partition. Al other mounts are virtual devices. So Linux is installed on /dev/sda5.
When you have Windows on the same computer, I expect it on /dev/sda1 (the first primary partition), which is not yet mounted. If you want to mount it, try
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows
When this succeeds
Code:
ls /mnt/windows
should show the contents of the root of the Windows partition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm 

Thanks Mijzelf for the reply.

Progress . . .
Yes I have Ubuntu along side Vista. I assume the plan is:-
1. Use fdisk to get the partition table.
2. Use dd to get the other two partitions
3. Send the resulting 3 files to Darth.

I guessed and tried
Code:
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb > home/shaun/partition_table
, and it worked. There is now what looks like a text file with a bunch of partition info in it. I will now proceed to use dd to put the other two partitions into /home/shaun.

Was your intention to copy the files across to the Windows partition ?. There is an /mnt directory on my Toshiba but it is empty.

Lastly, I note there are a couple of tiny partitions on the 2-Big drive which Ubuntu Linux Gparted shows as "unknown". Any idea what these partitions are for ? Will Darth need them ?

thanx for the help.

regards

...drone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:38 am 

Quote:
You need to dump all partitions, except swap, extended and the data partition

I don't know where those 'tiny' partitions are for. (Actually I've never looked at a LaCie NAS). But I can't imagine they are just for fun, so they could be important, and should be dumped.
It doesn't really matter Gparted shows them as 'unknown'. That's only about a one byte 'partition type' value in the partitiontable. The value of this byte, and the exact size of the partition are in home/shaun/partition_table, so the partition can be duplicated.

Quote:
Was your intention to copy the files across to the Windows partition ?. There is an /mnt directory on my Toshiba but it is empty.
Yes it was. I thought it would be easier for you to distribute the files, since you never touched Linux before. But never mind.

/mnt is the directory where by convention all 'external' mounts are located. It's empty because you never made an external mount. Therefore I used the mkdir command to create a mountpoint first. Nevertheless, I've seen modern distro's diverge from this convention by using /media or other funny directories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:07 pm 

Darth

Got the partition map and zipped partition files for the drives, but the forum does not allow upload of zipped files with gz extension. So I will need an ftp address so send them to Darth. Send me a private message of the FTP address. The files are 71MB, 50MB, 8MB, 2MB and 2MB, and there are TWO sets, one for each drive. My Lacie 2-Big is set for "Big" at present so it appears as one big drive. I will also get the files for it set as "safe" raid mode. I will try to send them one at a time to Darth e-mail but I think the 50 and 70MB will be rejected. The files add up to 950MB without zipping. I will now try to put these on a fresh pair of Samsung F2 1.5TB drives and report back if it works.

regards
...drone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:05 pm 

Hello Mijself

Your method worked until I tried to copy the partitions one at a time to the new drive using the dd command. It says "access denied" for every /dev/sdbx partition (x = 5,6,7,8,9,10). Gparted, and fdisk both report the partition table identical to the original. But cant get permission to put anything onto the new partitions. Tried formatting the partitions to EXT3, which it allowed, but still cannot dd the info to the partition.

any ideas ?

regards
...drone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:32 pm 

You are using
Code:
sudo gzip -d /path/to/partitionx.gz | dd of=/dev/sdbx
I suppose? Didn´t forget the ´sudo´?

Have a look if the parititions have write access:
Code:
ls -l /dev | grep sdb
Should give brw-xx-xx- for each partition(where xx can be either rw or --)

You can split the command to see which part is denied:
Code:
sudo gzip -d /path/to/partitionx.gz
Should give losts of data, which you can stop with ctrl-c.
Code:
echo ¨Hello¨ | dd of=/dev/sdbx
should just silently succeed (and write Hello in the first 5 bytes of the partition).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 pm 

hello Mijzelf.

yes, remembered the sudo.

got :-

brw-rw----

for all partitions. I assume that means i have read and write permission ?

regards
....drone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next