General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm 

Hello,
I got this two months old unit with 750G disks in mirror mode (raid 1). I bought me a new 750G Lacie spare disk at the lacie webshop. I hot swapped the drive and let it rebuild for about the whole evening and night till the next morning 10:00 am. The spare drive was still not synchronised . (red front light was burning).
The user interface of the 2big showed me the message that the 2nd drive was removed. So I thought (stupid me) after a restart live will be different . Since then I can not reach the unit at all. It went completely silent on my network.
And of course Lacie is not reachable for comment. I mailed them Saturday and I'm still waiting for an answer...... :evil:
In the meantime my system has been down for the whole weekend now, and still no solution.
- Is there a way to reset the unit to factory presets ?
- How can I beside the unit, reach the data on my disks? I do have a sata to usb interface.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 pm 

Found this on http://www.linuxforums.org posted by LittleFish

You CAN reset the drive to factory defaults. The process will not delete any of your data, but it may delete the user and share names. Please make a note of these so that you can recreate them. Once recreated, the original data will be intact.

Lacie -
It is our expectation that the data will still be present and unaffected after the reset but we are unable to guarantee this. For this reason we strongly recommend having a backup of your data elsewhere first.

1. Switch OFF the product (back power switch MUST be on the OFF position).
2. If in SAFE mode, switch to BIG mode. (needed to enable the Reset request. It will not change the RAID mode unless you go in the RAID admin page and validate the change.
3. PUSH front button, and power on, KEEP IT PRESSED until it stops blinking.
4. RELEASE the front button until it stops blinking.
5. PUSH the front button until it stops blinking.
6. RELEASE the front button. The product is now restoring itself to its factory defaults.
7. Apply SAFE mode again.

After having reset the product to its factory defaults, all the shares will seem to disappear. But since they are still present on the hard disk, it is possible to "restore" them.
To do so, you will have to recreate all the shares. But you will have to reuse the exact same name they used when they originally created them.

I managed to recreate al the shares again but BE CAREFUL, names are CASE SENSITIVE ..!!!!