General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 am 

Dear all,
I have a Lacie 2big Network.Unfortunately, the both hard disk was broken-down.
I want to replace two new disk on it, but can not rebuil Kelnel Linux.
How to restore original Linux partition in this case?
Thank you very much

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 am 

As to my knowledge you will need a hard drive image of the 2big network drives. Such an image has not been published yet. If you are willing to get the drive back to work, purchase at least one drive from LaCie, then you will get the image on it. They obviously don't let you have the image direcly so that you have to buy their drives.

One drive should do, and you may be able to clone it onto a second hard drive of the same type. However, there can be issues with the RAID system. I would, just for the sake of squeezing some info out of LaCie, tell the customer support what happend an ask them what exactly you should do now. If they suggest you to buy 2 new drives from them we know what that will work. Then you are quite likely to succeed with only one drive bought from them and copying the content (not too trivial) onto another drive (you may not be able to do that properly on Windows or Macintosh, only on Linux, BSD etc.) What comes cheaper in the end depends on how valuable your precious time is.

I guess if I needed the machine NOW back running, I would buy one disk. Let me go and check the prices...
Currently 180 EUR for a 1 TB replacement. And a 1 TB empty drive is about 70 EUR. See your point :D

So let us calculate.
a) 2x 70 EUR = 140 EUR plus some waiting until someone publishes the image plus a few hours of your precious time; it might work.
b) 180 EUR + 70 EUR = 250 EUR plus a few hours of your precious time; it might work.
c) 360 EUR and it will (if LaCie confirms) work. Almost the price of a new machine, however.

Bad choices, all on them :(

That is the sad situation. I am considering to buy a 2big, and your story is quite scary. One thing I just learned from you: Make an image of your system partitions once you get the machine! That's at least what I will do immediately. This image is worth 110 EUR per disc you need to replace.

Acutally, all this is one reason NOT to but the 2big :(