Wake on lan

naser

Wake on lan

Post by naser » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi There,

Thanks to all for sharing those great tips and tricks. I find the Network Space really slow :( (I use it on a 100 mbit lan) and I was considering returning it but after looking for other desperate users on the net and after finding this forum I really enjoy hacking that mini system :P so I'll probably wait a bit more before taking my decision. Does somebody have some feedback from the LaCie support for those poor performances ?

Just one question, is there a way to wake up the disk using wake on lan after stopping it with an halt command and leaving the switch power on. This may be usefull to spare some power and start it remotely as mine is not in the same room where I work. I do that for other Ubuntu workstations and it's great.

Thanks

Daan

Re: Wake on lan

Post by Daan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:38 pm

naser wrote:Hi There,
Does somebody have some feedback from the LaCie support for those poor performances ?
Thanks
I did not contact LaCie about this myself, but the poor performance is partly due to the Twonky media server, and LaCie apparently doesn't even know it is on the Network Space. There is a message on this blog quoting LaCie Support as saying Twonky doesn't come with the NetworkSpace. And I think it shouldn't be there as it takes way too much memory.

At the moment I am on the NetworkSpace copying some films off a usb drive connected to it and streaming music at 800 kbps over SMB with no problem. I couldn't do that before I hacked it, or the stream would stutter.
naser wrote:Hi There,
Just one question, is there a way to wake up the disk using wake on lan after stopping it with an halt command and leaving the switch power on.
Thanks
A quick search on these forums suggest that it can be done with our Marvell main boards:

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=71&p=241&hilit=wake+on+lan#p241

But I think it is not so easy, at least not for me.

Good luck! ;)

Daan

Post by Daan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:53 pm

It is available in the ipkg repository at nslu2-linux.org.

Code: Select all

SpaceNetwork /root # ipkg info *wake*
Package: perl-wakeonlan
Version: 0.41-1
Depends: perl
Section: util
Architecture: arm
maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
MD5Sum: 2e9b0af7b764266a231caeb6835c9b5f
Size: 5419
Filename: perl-wakeonlan_0.41-1_arm.ipk
Source: http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/downloads/wakeonlan-0.41.tar.gz
Description: A Perl script that sends 'magic packets' to wake-on-LAN enabled ethernet adapters and motherboards, in order to switch on remote computers.

Package: wakelan
Version: 1.1-2
Section: util
Architecture: arm
maintainer: Joerg Berg <caplink@gmx.net>
MD5Sum: ce6e699a71125ef336d8d9a048e19730
Size: 8348
Filename: wakelan_1.1-2_arm.ipk
Source: ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc//wakelan-1.1.tar.gz
Description: send the magic wakeup package over the LAN

naser

Post by naser » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks guys,

I'll check those links.

By the way I've already removed scripts to start Twonky as well as other mmedia services but I still have poor performances of about 3,8Mb/s to tranfert a unique big file. I posted a request on LaCie support and they just answered that a 8Mb/s is a maximum rate for this disk (I would be happy if I could achieve it) and they suggest to reformat it (after spending about 1 day for copying about 130Gb of data, lol). Does anybody reformatted it and does it change something ?

Daan

Post by Daan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:39 pm

3,8Mb/s is about what I get over the network. I just copied 125 GB in about 9 hours, from an external usb drive straight onto the Network Space while I was at work.

Reformatting the /home partition means losing the data that is on there.

Daan

Post by Daan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Daan wrote:125 GB in about 9 hours
Which is

$ wcalc '125*1024/(9*60*60)'
 = 3.95062
Mb/s, or?

naser

Post by naser » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:17 am

Indeed 3,9 Mb/s is similar to what I had but you probably have big files, I started a copy of the whole disk on an USB one to get a backup and I have a lot of small and medium files, the transfert rate goes down to about 0,8 Mb/s, this is really slow and makes it useless for day to day working.

Daan

Post by Daan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 am

I have read abit more about wake on lan. I'ts a cool feature. The software packages mentioned above are for waking up a computer over the lan, you don't need them on the computer you want to wake up. Being woken up is before boot, so has nothing to do with the OS, only with the bios, main board and network adapter.

So, you should just try as you suggested.

(You already know these things, but I'm just writing them for others to read.)

B.t.w., the power switch isn't really a power switch because after you've switched it off, the machine is still shutting down for a while, stopping servers and all, and flashing its cool blue led.

naser

Post by naser » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi Daan,

I already tried to start the wakeonlan command from a Ubuntu machine but it doesn't work, I'll investigate.

For now I was busy with that performance issues and finally decided to reformat the disk as suggested by LaCie Support, at least for me it didn't change anything, I even had the impression that after the formatting the response time was worst :cry: , I also try to format in ext3 but I got some problems, not the whole available disk space was there. So about 50h to backup everything on an USB drive and now probably the same time to restaure :evil: , well probably a bit less, I tried some tweaking by removing several processes, Twonky of course but also atalk, the httpd server and maybe something else, don't remember exactely and now the same reference file is transfered with a rate = 5,6 Mb/s instead of 3,8 wich is a bit better. It seems that free memory and CPU usage have a big impact on the response time ...

Daan

Performance

Post by Daan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

From http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/se ... ace/265416 :
In our tests we transferred 6.5GB of data via Gigabit Ethernet from a PC to the NAS device in a time of 16min 25sec. This equates to a painful 6.6 megabytes per second, which is woeful when compared to other devices, such as the QNAP TS-109 Pro with its speed of 18MBps. When copying data from one location of the drive to another, the time stretched on to 31min 28sec thanks to a chuggtacular speed of 3.4MBps.
and http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/14 ... 500gb.aspx :
Performance was the slowest of the drives on test here. Copying 3GB of large files saw the Network Space manage write speeds of just 8MB/sec, and reading them back was only slightly quicker at 10MB/sec. Small files pushed the transfer speeds yet lower, with the LaCie achieving read and write speeds of 8MB/sec and 5MB/sec respectively.

SpecialeW

Post by SpecialeW » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't think the NetworkSpace supports Wake-on-Lan, here is what I tried:

NetworkSpace /home # /sbin/ifconfig
egiga0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:4B:87:9E:A6
          inet addr:192.168.1.66  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:420 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:281 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:128
          RX bytes:44278 (43.2 KiB)  TX bytes:52504 (51.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:21

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1064 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1064 (1.0 KiB)

NetworkSpace /home # ethtool egiga0
Settings for egiga0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair