Upgrading Twonky

JohanS

Upgrading Twonky

Post by JohanS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to upgrade Twonky to a verison above 4.4.6 ?
The 1.1.8 update only toke twonky as far as 4.4.13 (should this read 4.4.1:3 ??)
As I've understood it the mkv streaming support for PS3 is up and running from that version on.

According to the Twonky site the license should be good for the entire v 4.x.x family.

Thanks,
/Johan

Daan

Re: Upgrading Twonky

Post by Daan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 pm

One problem would be that you need to get ARM binaries of the new version. ARM is the processor type in our NAS (and many other NAS's, e.g. the NS2LU2). Ask the company Twonky if they have it for you.

Also have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applica ... onkyVision.

pingling

Post by pingling » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 pm

You may try here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/4.4.17/

There are versions for ARM. Problem is - which one to choose? As far as I know it's little endian but not sure which glibc.

belese

Post by belese » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 pm

hi, it seems the version for ls pro work, depend version but i've not test all.

twonky 5.1 for ls pro work, but it need a serial code
for another version, i've a segmentation fault for the server,

http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/ ... ta-237.zip

JohanS

Post by JohanS » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Ok, so this is a sort of 'good news-bad news' situation.

Bad news ... I realise that upgrading twonky is beyond me (unless there's an detailed guide)
Good news ... found software that changes the container to mp4 (no conversion needed)

Now to the strange news, I have not yet had the situation where I've needed to copy larger files then est 1.8 gig ... the altered mkv files is around 4 gig, and copying files over 2 gig just wont work.
All I get is a "network drive not availible"- sort of popup half way through.
I've tried to deactivate the scan for media files, thinking that this could effect the transfer.
Sorry to say that this have had little effect.

Anyone else had this problem?

I've read (on another forum) that there are other software more suitible for copying large files over the network (such as robocopy) and I've also had the tip given to me to use a crosscable. Hooking it up to my computers only ethernet port kinda defeats the purpose of having a NAS.

Any help would be appretiated.

Thank you,
/Johan

JohanS

Post by JohanS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Just thought I would give a quick update.

The big file issue where handled by using robocopy with the /Z flag.
(wrote a vbs script that copies single file or entire directory through the context menu)

Later on I made the switch to ubuntu but experienced another set of copy issue (I wont go into them). This was resolved by using rsync, but at the cost of even lower transfer speed.

There seems to be some gain to made in disabling twonky all together ... but I got a feeling that there might be a boost in transfer by just disabling the web interface.
I've could not find anything on in regards to that on twonkys homepage.

Anyone tried this?