LaCie Network Space + mt-daapd problem

Bike13

LaCie Network Space + mt-daapd problem

Post by Bike13 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi guys, I am hoping someone can assist me.

I have a home network consisting of a PC (Ubuntu 8.04), Belkin 56g router and a LaCie Network Space. Occasionally I connect wirelessly on a Laptop (dual boot 9.04 and XP).

I specifically bought the NAS for it's media streaming capability, which (up until recently) was working fine.

Now, I find that neither Rhythmbox (on the PC) or iTunes (XP Laptop) are able to connect to the media server, though they both seems to recognise automatically that it is there.

The NAS seems to be acting fine as a file server.

A quick nmap scan of the NAS reveals that only the following ports are open - 80, 139, 445, 548.

So, I am thinking that (for some reason) port 3689 (amongst others) is closed on the NAS, router, or both?

Is anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

Daan

Re: LaCie Network Space + mt-daapd problem

Post by Daan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Bike13 wrote:The NAS seems to be acting fine as a file server.

A quick nmap scan of the NAS reveals that only the following ports are open - 80, 139, 445, 548.

So, I am thinking that (for some reason) port 3689 (amongst others) is closed on the NAS, router, or both?
Before I hacked the NAS, nmapping gave me

Code: Select all

# nmap 192.168.1.64 -p- -sV

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-02-06 22:07 CET
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.64:
Not shown: 65528 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE     VERSION
21/tcp   open  ftp         ProFTPD 1.3.2rc1
80/tcp   open  http?
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
445/tcp  open  netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
548/tcp  open  afp?
3689/tcp open  http        mt-daapd httpd 0.2.4.1
9000/tcp open  unknown
(Port 9000 is not scanned by a standard nmap scan - it has the Twonky Media Server behind it.)

Also port 21 is missing from your scan results, suggesting the FTP server is down too.

LaCie should resolve the problems for you. You paid them (and you did not hack the NAS).

Did you try to reboot the NAS?

You can hook up your NAS directly to your PC to see if the router causes the problem. Just give your PC an ip adress in the same range as your NAS.

For some simple hacks giving access to the config web pages of mt-daapd and Twonky, have a look at

http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Netwo ... diaServers

Obviously, the servers have to be running to get access to the config pages, but once they do, it might be handy for you.

Good luck!

Bike13

Post by Bike13 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Thanks Daan, I appreciate your time.

Since buying the NAS I have been all across this site, so was aware something was wrong - comparing the two port scans.

Yep, I have tried every possible reboot:

turn off, and then turn on
turn power switch on and off quickly
reset via config pages

So it seems you feel is IS a server issue?

Daan

Post by Daan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Bike13 wrote:So it seems you feel is IS a server issue?
Well, if the daap and ftp server are not running, I would call that a server issue. Have you eliminated the router as a possible cause?

Bike13

Post by Bike13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:22 am

Hi Daan,

I think I have eliminated the router as the issue. I have checked every setting available in its config pages, and there's nothing there that would block the ports. I have rest it to facotry defaults as well. I have loaded new firmware.

But, I have not yet tried ANOTHER router, which I think is the only sure way to check.

That's the next step. I am lead to believe that Belkin routers are prone to strange failure .....

Watch this space.

Thanks.

Bike13

Post by Bike13 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:40 am

Hi Daan,

Ok, finally checked with another router, and it's not the router!

So, off to LaCie I go ....

I'll keep you up to date.

Bike13

Post by Bike13 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi all,

An update on this old post. I contacted LaCie Australia and dealt with Vivian via their online support fourm. I thought the service was very good.

But we didn't solve the problem.

I ended up backing up all the data (400Gb), and reformatting the drive, and re-starting the mt-daapd service.

The NAS would work for up to about 100Gb of media files, but then when I added a few Gb more above this, the service would crach and the NAS would start to thrash. Files would remain accessible, but mt-daapd would not work.

LaCie suggested I might have had some "corrupted media files", but I think it's just an OOM kill porcess on mt-daapd due to the size of my collection - maybe due to pitiful size of RAM.

Is it possible to increase the size of the SWAP?

I am losing interest in the media server side of things on this NAS, but can anyone recommend a NAS that does serve media via daap well?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:54 am

Bike13 wrote:Is it possible to increase the size of the SWAP?
If you have shell access, yes. You can just add a swapfile:

Code: Select all

#Create 64MB file
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/file bs=1024 count=65536
#Create swapfile
mkswap /path/to/file
#Add swapfile to virtual memory
swapon /path/to/file
Creation and mkswap can be done on a different computer, and the file copied via network. swapon has to be repeated every boot. (Maybe it's possible to add it to fstab, never tried that)