Network Space 1T hangs unattended

jchd

Network Space 1T hangs unattended

Post by jchd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:50 pm

I'd like to have your expert opinion. I run a Network Space 1T on a small Gb network exclusively for backup purpose. This device is painfully slow and probably not only because of the 5400rpm disk choice. Anyway, my main problem is that it will hang while idle on a more or less random basis. The web interface lets me read the journal which shows thousands of:
Feb 21 13:36:54 kernel: bad rx status 2f877959, (crc error)
Feb 21 13:36:54 kernel: bad rx status 2f877139, (crc error)
Feb 21 13:36:55 kernel: bad rx status 2f8607b9, (crc error)
Feb 21 13:36:55 kernel: bad rx status 2f835b49, (crc error)
From the point these errors start happening, I loose network access until I unplug it and back (the stop switch is no more operational). That makes the device mostly useless, even as a secondary security device.
The network has no problem at all, I've tried reasonable variations of using another UPS, other network cable, to no avail.

I've suspected a heat issue and the only "hack" was to remove the plastic cover to let the poor thing breathe fresh air, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Apparently, it will fail about once a day, a royal pain!
The current software revision is 1.1.3 (untouched from factory). I'm no more fluent with Linux and don't have that much time to spare for this.

Did you ever encounter such problem and do you have any idea about what I could try to workaround those repetitive failures?

TIA for your advices.

Mijzelf

Re: Network Space 1T hangs unattended

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 pm

I *think* you are having a network problem. Things you could try:
- Disable jumboframes (if applicable)
- Try another network cable
- Try to hook the NAS directly to your PC (in this case both devices should have a fixed IP in the same subnet).
If that solves the problem maybe you should exchange your switch/router

jchd

Post by jchd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't believe it's a network issue. I've move the NAS around the building and it produces the same insane behavior. This morning I even tried to plug it in a 100Mb branch and it hung again two or three hours later. I've used several ports of several switches/router to no avail. I'm using static IP scheme everywhere here but trying DHCP didn't do any good either.
I suspect either a hardware weakness that would probably be too difficult to fix or a software issue, but I couldn't find any upgrade firmware image to download on the LaCie site, except full source.

In short, I've the bad feeling those low-end devices are just worth their price i.e. small crap and if one needs a reliable NAS, best is to invest in the "above crap" shelf like Synology, Qnap, Thecus or some others.

Of course I'm not going to buy LaCie ever again.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Of course it can be a hardware weakness. But I believe the error 'bad rx status 2f877959, (crc error)' is about a wrong checksum on a received TCP package. That can be network troubles, in which case it can be fixed, or a bad network chip, or even a bad CPU, which cannot be fixed, or a failing power supply.
Reading your response it looks you already tried everything according the network, so I suppose it's in the box. I can't imagine it's a firmware problem, in that case more people would have had the same problem. So it must be the box itself, or the power supply.

About the quality of a LaCie nas: when you google on 'failing LaCie nas' it gives 29000 hits. 'Failing synology nas' gives 38000 hits, Qnap also 38000, and Thecus 20500. It's not very scientific, I know, but it shows no difference in quality.

jchd

Post by jchd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll try to use a non-switching power supply and see what gives.
You're right I shouldn' have post a rant, but I sometimes feel frustrated by this little black box.

Anyway, thanks for your answers.

CUnknown

Post by CUnknown » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm

About the quality of a LaCie nas: when you google on 'failing LaCie nas' it gives 29000 hits. 'Failing synology nas' gives 38000 hits, Qnap also 38000, and Thecus 20500. It's not very scientific, I know, but it shows no difference in quality.
You forgot to account the market share of each device. If you want to say something about the failrate of the three different brands, with the "not very scientific" method of comparing google search results, at least you have to give a percentage

Code: Select all

hits on google for <'Failing synology nas'>
             hits on google for <'synology nas'>
it still is a very probabilistic method though....