General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm 

That is strange. I looked at the sda7 imagedump of klooride. In /sbin/init loadSnapshots() is called from /etc/libunionfs:
Code:
<snip>
# Add new Snapshot paritions as RW and set previous Snapshot to RO
addSnapshot2Union()
{
        new_snap=$1
        unionctl $union_base --add --mode rw $new_snap
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
                prev_snap="`unionctl $union_base --list| awk 'NR == 2 {print $1}'`"
                unionctl $union_base --mode ro $prev_snap
        fi
}

# Load new Snapshots and add then to the base Union.from the Snapshot paritions.
loadSnapshots()
{
        createBaseUnion $root_mountpoint
        debug_msg "Loading snapshots from $snap_container"
        for snap in `/usr/bin/find $snap_container/* -maxdepth 0`
        do
                addSnapshot2Union $snap
        done
}
</snip>

AFAIKS loadSnapshots() adds all snapshots in $snap_container (which indirectly points to sda9/snaps/ in alphabetically order, which is also numerical order, to the unionfs, and the last added is the only RW layer. So when you had a /snaps/04, it should not have been possible that a logfile in /snaps/02 was growing, unless the directory was added after the last boot.
I suppose you don't have timestamps of the /snaps/XX directories anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
AFAIKS loadSnapshots() adds all snapshots in $snap_container (which indirectly points to sda9/snaps/ in alphabetically order, which is also numerical order, to the unionfs, and the last added is the only RW layer. So when you had a /snaps/04, it should not have been possible that a logfile in /snaps/02 was growing, unless the directory was added after the last boot.
I suppose you don't have timestamps of the /snaps/XX directories anymore?

Alas, no. And now that the panic caused by my initially unresponsive drive is over, I'm kicking myself that I didn't make better use of the opportunity.

The timestamp of the log file is Wed 09 Jun 2010 10:09:04 PM CEST (see screenshot in my earlier post). The first entry in that log file is from Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:38:28 GMT; the last date in that file is Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:43:19 GMT. So i don't think it was still growing yesterday.

As I understand the problem, it's rather that by 9 June, the then active log file had grown so large it was keeping my NetworkSpace from functioning properly. What I should have done is go into the TwonkyMedia config pages and clear the log. What I did instead is perhaps the stupidest thing I could have done, and that is trying to fix the issue by reinstalling the firmware, thereby locking away the monster log file in the snaps/02/ folder, beyond my control.
After that, clearing the new active log file in Twonky temporarily resolved 'disk full' errors, but only made a small difference.

Since June 9th, my NetworkSpace has gone through all sorts of weird and wonderful stages (with varying degrees of FTP access) as I tried rebooting, factory resets, firmware upgrades, you name it. So I suppose the snaps 03 and 04 were created between June 10 and 20th.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 pm 

iris wrote:
(And just to be clear: I don't own a NS2 either; mine's the old plain NetworkSpace)

yeah - i too have the single disk, 1tb nas drive - that no longer respond in the nas caddy, same behaviour, sounds like it's spinning up, but never shows up on the network, and yes I had tried to upgrade the firmware to 1.18, i can remember it saying it was ok, but all dead ever since.

so, with the help of 7 kitchen knives, I eventually got the drive out, found a sata adapter, bunged the usb cable on and plugged it in to the dell laptop dual-booted with ubunto.

cannot mount the disk tho
sudo fdisk -l, both before and after i plug the drive in, reports the same results,

sudo ls -lsa|grep disk from /dev/ however reports the following differences:
>>
0 crw-rw---- 1 root disk 21, 2 2010-09-14 20:35 sg2
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 2010-09-14 20:35 sdb
<<

cheers ali...

anyone got any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 pm 

aliking wrote:
sudo fdisk -l, both before and after i plug the drive in, reports the same results,

- You didn't forget to power the disk?
- Maybe dmesg can tell more

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:51 pm 

hmmn, guess I just assumed that the sata adapter provides power too - as it i use in a usb caddy, but that with a 2.5 drive and doesn't need any additional power - as this is a 3.5 and 7200 rpm disk might it need sep power too?

ta
cheers ali...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 am 

Definitely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:10 pm 

yep, one trip to maplins, 25 quid and usb hard disk 'toaster' later

all mounted in ubuntu automatically

now to work out what was bunging up

ta

cheers ali...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:44 am 

yep - it was the log file

deleted, put disk back in nas, all seems fine

many, many thanks

cheers ali...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 pm 

I too have had this issue appear on two of my Network Space 1 1TB drives. I understand from this thread that taking apart the drives, mounting in linux and deleting the logfiles will work, but before I go down that route, I wanted to know if there were any other known ways of achieving the same goal without voiding the warranty?

I've searched around and methods seem to revolve around putting scripts on USB sticks or FTP'ing files in order to give yourself root and be able to access the Twonky config pages and delete the files. As I can't access via FTP at the moment (at least I don't think so, assume it's regular admin pwd) or SMB/NFS, is there a way of calling the machine to backup the usb stick via web-browser without requesting a page from it first? IE - if someone knew the page content you could craft a response to do so, but submit the page and the script without requesting the page in the first place?

I also tried updating/recovering the disks with no luck - they only appear on the LNA when IPConf support is activated.

I have access to Twonky webbrowse URL
I can ping the device
It shows in Network browser in windows but won't allow me to browse to it (assuming it runs out of space like the webserver does?)

Any help much appreciated, am sure it'll help others out there searching for an answer too!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 am 

madadamuk wrote:
if someone knew the page content you could craft a response to do so, but submit the page and the script without requesting the page in the first place?
No. 'Submitting' the page is the same as requesting it, from the webserver point of view.
Quote:
without voiding the warranty?
Is your disk still under warranty? I thought it hasn't been sold for more than a year now.