General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 pm 

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how I can recover data off from Lacie NAS Network Space?

*Our Nas was acting weird at first it was still generating an error from the web interface saying
/www/cgi-bin/admin/config:line 54: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

Now, we cant ping the drive, detect nor access the web interface.
The lights are still okay when an ethernet cable is plugged in from the NAS to the switch (light indicator is solid green from the which that would indicate that the NAS is still being detected but we can't read off anything from it)

Hope someone can help! :s

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm 

Read this thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:53 pm 

OMG! This is the 3rd this has happened to this month....

Relax, its not the end of the world, however you are likely to breach your warranty as it means opening the case
(unless you try other ways).

I had that but mine is back working now.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm 

Dont understand why people have to void thier warrantys to reset thier Networkspace.

Ive had my Networkspace v1 now for 18+ months and mine will give this error every 5 months or so.

Easy fix takes about 10 mins + rebuild of media list.

1) reset your NS to factory settings.
- turn NS off then immediately back on and off again, wait for it to finish then turn back on
2) (if your using 1.1.8 build) open up network assistant, goto configuration window and click the 'update your NAS' button.
3) goto NS web configuration page remake/change users/passwords and rebuild media list.

Job done.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:04 pm 

Perhaps because we get stuck on no1.

How would we do that when we cannot access it, when the config utility will not see it.
And when many of us are not on V1.1.8 firmware.

Any chance you could explain more what you do?

What will the switching on/off do & is that a approved method of treating it (given that it makes the drive start/stop quickly) ?

I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else in the forums.
Chers

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:07 pm 

This is a cut and paste from the official Lacie Networkspace Knowledge base.
Quote:
Reset procedure for the Network Space

Summary:

Reset procedure for the Network Space

Follow the procedure below to reset the Network Space to factory defaults:

1. Move the power switch to the OFF position. Wait for the drive to shut down.
2. Turn ON the drive.
3. Within about 3 seconds, flip the switch OFF again.
4. Immediately turn it ON

If the light flashes quickly, the unit is resetting itself. Attempt to connect to the drive again after about 1 minute using the default username and password (by default, they are both admin.)
Can be found here Networkspace reset

This procedure is the same no matter what firmware version you are using, and will reset your Networkspace to factory settings but does NOT remove any of your data.

After this has finished all you need to do is :
1) Have a cup of tea (beverage of choice). Allow the Networkspace to get its services running and it will also automatically do a media list refresh.
Once the drive has stopped making noise and settled down carry on to step 2.
(trying to perform a firmware update before the drive has settled may make the update fail and leave your networkspace in a waiting for update state making it unresponsive to the power button and inaccessible). If this does happen turn off the NAS (although the light will still be on just make sure the power switch is in the off position) , unplug the power and wait for harddrive to spin down, plug the power back in and go straight into a factory reset -> (turn on, turn off within 3 seconds and straight back on again) goto step 1.

2) (if you want to use 1.1.8 firmware) Right click Lacie Network Assistant in your system tray and click on Configuration Window, click Update your NAS button and point it to the 1.1.8 firmware update.

You can download the firmware from here Lacie Network Assistant 1.4.0 <-this is the page for network assistant but at instruction point 6 is a link to the firmware.
NB i would recommend using network assistant 1.4, i would also recommend firmware 1.1.8 as it allows you to set a time for your NAS to update its media list rather than automatically doing it every hour.

If you want to leave your drive with what ever firmware was on it when it left the factory there is no step 2. The reset will have done everything for you.

3) Open your Web browser and goto the Networkspace configuration page.
Update your Users/Passwords and FTP accounts (if you had added/changed anything from default before) as these will have all been reset to default.
Rebuild your media list (it will find and rebuild the list, all files that you had placed on your Networkspace will still be there and unaffected by the factory reset)

Hope this helps others getting there NAS back up and working

Last edited by Larrow on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:58 pm 

Updating the firmware is what has finally made mine unaccessable & unresponsive to the on/off switch. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 am 

Did you have the firmware update fail?

Says something like NAS failed to reboot in update mode? when you tried to update it.

Mine sometimes fails to respond to the on/off switch after a failed update. I presume this is because the NAS is in a waiting for an update state.
To fix it try the following:
1. Turn NAS power switch to off position.
2. Unplug power cord. Wait for harddisk to spin down.
3. Plug power back in.
4. Turn on NAS power switch, within 2 secs turn back off, then immediately back on. (basically making it do a factory reset again)

This should return your Networkspace to working condition again.

Before trying to do a firmware update you should leave it alone for a while, allow it to get its services running and do a media list update, which it is setup to do (trying to get it to shutdown into update mode whilst its trying to do these things will result in an update fail). I have edited my last post to reflect this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 pm 

Firmware update worked fine.

It's when I later on turned it off that it stopped working.

Too late now to try anything else, I have already stripped it down & backed it up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 pm 

having very similar problems with my 1tb network space

cannot see drive on network
cannot see anything listed on the router admin 'attached devices' page
power button does not 'switch off', e.g. light still on, no obvious, or audible activity

have tried the 'reset process' to no avail, but with the additional step of having to ull the power cord out to actually power it off

and also had 'successfully' upgrade the firmware to 1.1.8

then got the '...no space..' type err, then the raw html, then I foolishly switched it off and now states is as above

any thoughts anyone?

have mac, dell laptop with xp and ubuntu - both with usb access or old - blow the dust off - desktop with ubuntu that has spare ide cable

don't mind taking a screwdriver to it, but would like to be able to take it apart without completely trashing the outer case

any help greatly appreciated

cheers ali...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 am 

Quote:
don't mind taking a screwdriver to it, but would like to be able to take it apart without completely trashing the outer case

About opening 'Neil Poulton designed' boxes: Link.