General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: recover or fix?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

Hi All

After having my 1TB network storage running flawlessly for about a year, it suddenly wont show up on the network at all, actually im not sure if it boots proberly - when i startup nas, the harddrive makes some noise for 5 seconds and and the led flashes a couple of times, and then then nothing happends - the blue led is constant - it does not show on my routers the dhcp table at all, and network assistant cant find it - it does not responce at all when i switch it off - i tried the reset method but no luck :-(

If anyone has a solution to this problem i would be happy to know, but the most important for me is to recover the data on the disk, so i wonder if it is possible to remove the drive from the case and connect and access the drive on the external sata port on my win7 laptop?

Thx

Post subject: Re: recover or fix?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm 

mrplov wrote:
when i startup nas, the harddrive makes some noise for 5 seconds and and the led flashes a couple of times, and then then nothing happends
I'm afraid the disk itself died.

When it isn't, it is perfectly possible to recover the contents using your laptop, but not using Windows 7. The data partition is in XFS format, which is not supported by Windows. You'll have to boot from a Linux Live CD or -USB stick. This can mount both the XFS partition, and the internal NTFS partition(s) to copy the data to.
You can connect the disk with an ESATA to SATA cable, but you'll have to power the disk. Of course you can use the NAS for that, but maybe the power supply in the NAS is the problem. You could also put the disk in an ESATA or USB enclosure, they have their own power supply.