General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 pm 

Hi all,

Just registered on this forum, although I own my La Cie networkspace for 2 years now.

Recently I bought a Logitech Squeezebox Classic, which needs Squeezeboxserver to play mp3's. I've installed this on my WindowsXP laptop, but (you've already guessed it) I want to run it on my NAS. I've come across several internetsites that end up in working configurations, but I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux. So different steps end up with error messages, which indicate me I make the wrong choices :mrgreen: . So I turn my self over in the hands of you guys and dolls :) . If I'm not mistaken, you can help me.

I've found out that the NAS runs an ARM version of Linux. I've also managed to gain root access to the NAS (thanks to all the helpfull tips on the world wide web :D :D ). I've downloaded all the different packages for Squeezeboxserver, but I'm kinda stuck... Which package do I need? I have an RPM package (which is for Red Hat Linux, I presume) and a debian package, but my NAS runs on ARM linux...

Somewhere "out there" (not here) I read an article that mentioned the installation of PERL, before installing Squeezeboxserver, but that was a dead end. My NAS won't install PERL...

I hope you can help me on this...

Thanks for reading!

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:22 am 

Hi Mark,

To be honest I don't think the Network Space has the power to run Squeezebox server. If you can afford to upgrade to the NS2 there is a thread on how to run Squeezebox under Debian.

Regards...Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm 

Slimserver (the predecessor of Squeezebox server) is available as optware packet for the NSLU2. You could try to install that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 pm 

Hello all,

OK, I'll try the 'old' slimserver. I will probably not be a heavy user so I hope the system can keep up with me :D .

Another thing (perhaps here is not the right place for this question)... I recognize the IPK as a file that has to be installed using IPKG, is that correct? That tool is (by default) not available on the NS.

Can anyone advice me on the steps to take?

Thanx so far!

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:16 am 

You'll have to install the ipkg package manually. Have a google on 'install ipkg optware'. One pointer: for space reasons it's a good idea to put the 'opt' directory on the data partition, and create a symlink /opt to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:46 am 

OK Mijzelf (sounds pretty Dutch ;) ),

I assume that I can find the right IPKG optware in the same url as you pointed me for the Slimserver optware?

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:17 am 

Actually I don't see it there. You can try an other flavor, for instance the cs05q1armel one, which contains both the ipkg-opt and the slimserver package.

I don't know if this optware flavor (or the NSLU2 flavor) will run on the NS. You'll have to try it. If not, you can try one of the others. (Have a google on the types. You can skip everything which is not for an arm(el) platform).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm 

Well, well, well,

I think I must change careers :) . This is fun, although it's not fully working yet. Sit back and start reading, this is a lot of text :oops: .

Turned out after I installed the mssii-bootstrap_1.2-7_arm.xsh ipkg was installed correctly. After that I was able to install Slimserver, out of the package you pointed out to me. That installation process took a while, since it started to download a bunch of applications that were needed (perl, mysql etc).

After downloading the packages, installation began. Here's the log:

Configuring mysql
Installing all prepared tables
[color=#FF0000]/opt/libexec/mysqld: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.3' not found (required by /opt/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

Installation of system tables failed!

Examine the logs in /opt/var/lib/mysql for more information.
You can also try to start the mysqld daemon with:
/opt/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant &
You can use the command line tool
/opt/bin/mysql to connect to the mysql
database and look at the grant tables:

shell> /opt/bin/mysql -u root mysql
mysql> show tables

Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log
gives you a log in /opt/var/lib/mysql that may be helpful.

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Please consult the MySQL manual section: 'Problems running mysql_install_db',
and the manual section that describes problems on your OS.
Another information source is the MySQL email archive.
Please check all of the above before mailing us!
And if you do mail us, you MUST use the /opt/bin/mysqlbug script!
Starting MySQL................................... ERROR!
Configuring ncurses
update-alternatives: Linking //opt/bin/clear to /opt/bin/ncurses-clear
Configuring openssl
Configuring perl
Configuring readline
Configuring slimserver
Enter SLIMSERVER_HOME location [/home/slimserver]: I choose the default location
Configuring zlib
Successfully terminated.
[/color]

As far as I understand it, something is wrong with MySQL installation. So I downloaded the gcc-package from the same ipkg.nslu2-linux.org as I took the slimserver package. Installed it and ...

So far so good ? I do not know. After installation of MySQL package I started it using the command "/opt/libexec/mysqld --skip -grant" as stated in the error message. Result below:

110630 20:10:57 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
/opt/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.1.22' socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' port: 0 optware distribution 4.1.22-3

Nothing obvious seems to happen.

When I start Slimserver from another telnet session, after quite a few seconds a message appears:
Slimserver daemon started OK. PID is 20355.

When I visit the website (at port 9000) that fails...

So, I'm not fully operational yet, although I'm confident I will manage (with some help, that's for sure). Beside the troubles stated above, I'm not sure weather my changes are permanent (I mean that after reboot things will start up automaticly). I've placed a S99Slimserver file in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d but is that enough?

Thanks for reading and (unless you've fallen asleep :) ) your help.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 am 

Hi all,

I think an update is needed.

Shortly after I posted, I noticed an article on the internet about installation problems with mysql on linux.

I soon realised that the essential tabels for MySql were not installed. I searched for a setup/configuration script for mysql et voila! MySQL was up and running.

Then I found the "launch-script" for Mysql (S99MySQLD) which started flawless. After that Slimserver could start also.

Result so far is:
- Slimserver is up and running
- Slimserver webserver is available through port 9000
- Squeezebox is connected to my new Slimserver-server

However:
- last night Slimserver had not found any songs on my NS, perhaps some search scripts needed to run ?
- internetradio is not functioning yet (but I believe that can be solved)
- things are slow, but I was aware of that.

Thanx for reading, any hints are most welcome.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:05 am 

wyvern wrote:
This is fun
I confess. It *is* fun.

There is a known bug in the NS memory management, causing random processes to be killed. Maybe that stops slimserver from indexing? Read more here.
Instead of solving this manually, you could install fvdw's alternative firmware. This one is running a recent kernel, and I *think* it has a better balanced memory management. (And I wouldn't be surprised if ipkg is already installed.)

Quote:
things are slow, but I was aware of that.
Just a random thought: the biggest problem with the NS is it's memory. It has only 16MB, which means that (at least a part of) the slowness could be caused by excessive swapping. In that case it *might* help to put the swapspace on an USB stick. An USB stick is slower in bit rate than the harddisk, but it has far better access times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
wyvern wrote:
This is fun
I confess. It *is* fun.

... Maybe that stops slimserver from indexing? ...

I don't know. I have to start searching from the webpage and see what happens. Up to know Slimserver has not found (or searched for) any music.

Thanks for your tips, I'll check them out.

See you later !

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:25 pm 

If you need to install fvdw's firmware on your NS1 there will be an easy option coming within a few days.

I've managed to write a Bash shell script (with help from fvdw) which performs all the installation steps mentioned in the 6-page manual :).

This firmware has IPKG support indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:13 am 

Hi Langerak,

I guess I'll wait for that one :mrgreen: .

Please let me know when it is finished.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:06 pm 

Hi Langerak,

any news on your installation script, yet? Or did I miss anything, somewhere?

Tia

Mark