General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 pm 

Hello

I managed my networkspace driver from an ftp server. I was capable of hide some folders from some users, give differents permissions to each user group etc.... :D

But suddenly the drive was no more accesible, in the web interface appeared one error about space for some log file. :?

I read many posts in this forum and thanks to that now I can acess again to my drive.

But why this error (about space for log...) ? and may be the error will appear again in the future ?

May be manage driver from other ftp is the reason of the problem?

I am afraid manage the disk again from ftp .... :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am 

I suppose you mean this problem? For some reason a twonky logfile grows too big, but AFAIK no-one found the real cause for that. So yes, it could happen again. But I don't think FTP has anything to do with it.

BTW, do you mean you put a 2nd FTP server in between the NS and your users? Then why not connect an USB disk to that FTP server?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm 

Thank you for your reply. And yes, this is my case. I dismounted the disk too, ... etc. But I worried about your question "Are you running only firmware on that box?"

I manage the disk from 2nd ftp server because I needed to give different permissions to different user groups, I needed to hide some folders from most visitors, etc.... I think I cannot do something that with LaCie software (version 1.1.6).

Is possible to create user groups on networkspace (I will update to new firmware)? Is possible to use LDAP auth ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:57 pm 

Nothing to worry about. I only tried to pinpoint a possible cause of the filled disk. When I asked the question, I didn't know yet that a twonky logfile was the problem, so I wanted to know if there was some optware or something like that, what could have created a big logfile. (For instance transmission can create a huge logfile)

About the ftp daemon in the firmware, as far as I know it cannot do more then you see. (Unless you edit the conf file manually, but Lacie firmwares don't like it if you do that. Sometimes it just revert it)

Maybe it's a good idea to have a look at fvdw's custom firmware. I don't know about it's ftp server, but I suppose you can ask about it in the plugout forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:06 pm 

Thank you again Mijzelf. I am reading now about fvdw's custom firmware .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm 

Hi,

Since version 7.0, the alternative firmware fvdw-sl handles fully a FTP server, FTPES (and now SFTP with version 12 :) ).

From the web interface, you can set what can read or write for each login !