Networkspace Mediaserver configuration

PeterLongfield

Networkspace Mediaserver configuration

Post by PeterLongfield » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:05 pm

If you access //networkspace:9000/config you will see a message that access is restricted. How annoying. This IS your own device!

This is what you do:
Pop open the networkspace (no screw driver needed, just stick a small knife between the metal and the plastic to unluck) and take out the SATA disk (4 screws). Connect the SATA disk to your computer using an external SATA USB casing or just connect it inside your PC.
If you are only running Windows, download the Knoppix Live CD (version 6.0.1) and boot your pc with Linux with the networkspace hdd connected.
Find the mediaserver.ini file in snaps/00/usr/local/TwonkyVision and change enableweb=1 to enableweb=2 (use the vi text editor, leafpad did not work for me)
You may need to mount the partition. Mine was /dev/sdb9. You can find the disks with fdisk -l.
mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb9 /mnt/sdb9
If you cannot access the file, you may need to 'su' first to get administrator access.

After that reinstall the hdd again in the NAS casing and you should see that //networkspace:9000/config will show a nice configuration page. You can for example change the media scan time (is set to 60 minutes), or switch it off (enter 0) if you do not use the networkspace for streaming media.
TwonkyMedia_Configuration.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daan

Re: Networkspace Mediaserver configuration

Post by Daan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Wow, you have opened it!

:D :D :D :D

I did not dear to yet because I was afraid I would damage it.

Accessing the Twonky config pages without opening the case is very easy, thanks to a bug:

http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... dia_server

Did you have a look at the config file of the other media server FireFly (mt-daapd)? I would like to know the password for its web config pages so I can switch off the scanning there.

Daan

Post by Daan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:15 pm

By the way, did opening the case break any warranty seal?

PartisanEntity

Post by PartisanEntity » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Excellent, thanks a lot for posting your experiences PeterLongfield. I was planning on doing the same thing, to have a look at the file system.

Thanks to Daan, we discovered that you can actually access the Twonky config pages if you choose specific ip numbers for your client as well as your NAS.

(I assume the Twonky server does not check all digits in the ip number, but merely compares them, if it finds similar numbers it assumes you are accessing the config from the same ip number and thinks you are using an 'internal' connection).
Web: cognitivecombine.com - OS's: Ubuntu 9.04 & Mac OSX 10.5

Daan

Post by Daan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:57 pm

PeterLongfield wrote:Pop open the networkspace (no screw driver needed, just stick a small knife between the metal and the plastic to unluck)
Hmm. I've been trying with knifes and forks for about 40 minutes but the device did not pop open. I can see there are three bits sticking out from the plastic case on the inside on each long side that go into holes in the metal, but putting knifes between the plastic and metal to keep the plastic from going into the holes does not make the thing pop nor does it seem to unlock anything.

What's the trick?

PeterLongfield

Post by PeterLongfield » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:45 pm

Have been on a business trip, so took a while to answer.
Here's the file: the password is right there.

#
# mt-daapd.conf
#
# Edited: Mon Mar 17 08:24:05 2008
# By: admin
#
web_root /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
port 3689
admin_pw L@CieD@@pd
mp3_dir /home/openshare
servername NetworkSpace
runas root
playlist /etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.playlist
extensions .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.wav,.aac
db_dir /var/cache/mt-daapd
rescan_interval 3600
scan_type 0
always_scan 0
logfile /var/log/mt-daapd.log
process_m3u 1
compress 0

Tried: //networkspace:3689 with user:admin password:L@CieD@@pd
And sure: opened right away! More things to play with. Fun!
You guys have to tell me what to do with it though. I've no experience with mediaservers.

Opening the device does not break any seals. There are 3 tabs in the plastic cover on both sides. You will need to push away those tabs. To prevent a tab from popping back when working on another tab, you can use a few thin knives. One for every tab. Open one side a bit first, than the other side a bit and last both sides together .

Question for the Linux experts here: can I somehow ftp another partition of the drive? I can only FTP the partition that has the data (myshare and openshare). If I can ftp the other partitions, I can make any change I like.
I made a copy of all the files on the other partitions. So if you need to check any file: let me know.

Also: what do I need to change if I want my drive to go to standby (switch off drive, keep software running). Can it be done?

Daan

Post by Daan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks Peter, that is very cool. The username and password work for me too.

I don't use the media servers myself, and I am mainly interested in accessing them to switch off the servers or to switch off the automatic scanning of media files. Both can be done for both servers through their config pages, but rebooting the NAS will restart them.

People have reported to get root access from remote to the Networkspace using a guide that was originally intended for the Edmini v2:

http://jebimony.com/blog/content/add-ss ... -edmini-v2

That should get even more to play with!

Have fun,

Daan

theike

Post by theike » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:57 am

Just some thinking:
If you check the configuration it allows to configure the webroot...

What would happend if we enter there, let's say:
/home/myshare/hackhack

It is possible to write there using the normal shares and it would open a flexible opener.

The problem would be that the rights (execute) are not specified. It also depends on what the (anyway limited) webserver supports (assume CGI only?). But this could be a possible entry point for hacking >without< having to open the box.

Unfortunatly i have not yet had time nor guts to test this. So the big question is: Who has a copy of the mt-daapd-webfolder and dares to change the config?

I'm very interested in the result :P

Kind regards,
Theike

vos021

Post by vos021 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:33 am

In addition to the "hardware-aproach" of PeterLongfield, this is what I discovered:

With DHCP enabled on the beast I got the "red page", when going to 192.168.2.3:9000 (in my case).

I have a subnet 192.168.2.0/24. Setted the IP-address of the NetworkSpace to 192.168.2.200 as a static address (so NO automatic address configuration).

Clicking 192.168.2.200:9000, still no access...... But, however, after going to the admin pages of the thing @ the new address and doing a Support/Restart, to my suprise the MediaServer became visible!

All this without doing any Linux hackking.

How did I find out? Maybe pure luck, but I normaly give all my networkdevices a static address. And from there I was wondering why I did not got the "red screen" when using port 9000. So brought it back to DHCP, and indeed the "red screen"

Wondering if any of you guys can reproduce this.....

Daan

Post by Daan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:13 pm

vos021 wrote:Wondering if any of you guys can reproduce this.....
I am not sure what you are looking to get confirmed (assuming you have read the other posts in the thread), but here's what others have experienced

http://www.cognitivecombine.com/?p=487

and here is a summary

http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... dia_server

vos021

Post by vos021 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 pm

I've read those articles, and as far as I understand there is a relationship between the PC IPAddress and the ip addresses to be reached at the LaCie. Correct me when wrong.

What I found, is that when I set the address of the LaCie to (in my example) x.x.x.200 you can access the pages at x.x.x.200:9000 directly. So no x.x.x.64 or x.x.x.66.

Daan

Post by Daan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

It would be interesting if x.y.z.200 for the NAS would give access to the Twonky config pages irrespective of the ip of your computer. Is that what you mean? What is the the ip of the pc you are connecting from anyway?

theike

Post by theike » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm

It seems to be a compare item.

I run in the 192.168.254.xxx-range and my nas has 77 (fixed IP via DHCP). When i tuned my system to 192.168.254.7 i was able to access the config pages. i assume they did the 'traditional' mistake by comparing the ip for the client system's id:

In that case:
client (pc): x.y.z.7
This would allow to configure the nas if it's IP is x.y.z.7n, where n can be 0-9 (so 70-79).
They should initially check if the IP of both systems has the same length. Luckily for us they left a small hole (yay).

I have not checked it for correctness, but should be as it matches all reported cases...

To validate it, it would be nice to have a dump of the web folders to validate by checking the scripts (if it is not implemented/hard coded in a dll). Who has opened his box and dumped the partitions (please share)...

Kind regards,
Theike

Daan

Post by Daan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I have opened my box and will share when I get home in a couple of hours.

You can just download Twonky for a free trial (version 4.4.6 for Linux x86 has the same bug - I checked), so you can have a look yourself.

vos021

Post by vos021 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Well, Daan has got me here.

Did not check this part before, but PC IP was x.x.x.2, when changing it to .3 the party was over...