General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:27 pm 

Is there any way to have the internal drive of NSA210 formatted as ext3 to mount easily on my windows? Thx! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 am 

Sure, but why do you want it? You can simply take the disk out, connect it to a Linux system, assemble the raid array and put an ext3 filesystem on it.
But if you can do that, I think you don't care anymore if the disk will mount on Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:26 pm 

Thx for the reply!
So, you mean, I simply format it to ext3 and nsa210 will just use it instead of xfs? What is the raid assembling you mentioned about? This nas contains just one disk.
Why I need it for windows? The thing is, while I know how to mount it under a linux system, but I don't have a permanent linux setup. Windows is what I use and I'll format it to ext3 from there. So, when the time comes to manipulate the contents of the nas disk, I'd like to not have to interrupt my work just to backup/delete/copy files , but let it do it under windows in the background, while I'm doing other things. I wouldn't have to do that if nsa210 was faster for its disk operations, but it's not.

So, is that all I have to do? Format the data part to ext3 and it'll just work, or did you mean something completely different?
Happy new year btw! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:47 am 

nicklarry wrote:
What is the raid assembling you mentioned about? This nas contains just one disk.
Doesn't matter. On a ZyXEL NAS the data partitions are always a raid array. In your case a single disk raid1 or jbod array.
Quote:
So, you mean, I simply format it to ext3 and nsa210 will just use it instead of xfs?
Yes. the box is designed to accept disks from other ZyXEL nasses or older firmwares. So if the partitions and the raidarray have the right size and metadata the data partition will simply be mounted, if the filesystem is supported. And ext3 is.
Quote:
Why I need it for windows? The thing is, while I know how to mount it under a linux system, but I don't have a permanent linux setup. Windows is what I use and I'll format it to ext3 from there.
You format it to ext3 from Windows? How?
Quote:
So, when the time comes to manipulate the contents of the nas disk, I'd like to not have to interrupt my work just to backup/delete/copy files , but let it do it under windows in the background, while I'm doing other things.
I see several problems with that approach.
  • The data partition is a raid array, and depending on the metadata version Windows might not be able to recognize/mount it.
  • AFAIK there are no ext3 drivers for Windows, only ext2. Which means that the partition is mounted without journal. Nothing wrong with that, but if the partition is unmounted unclean, you have a corrupted filesystem with an empty journal. Don't know how that will be handled.
  • Windows doesn't support symlinks, posix file permissions and posix file ownership. So it cannot handle/create them right. The ext2 driver has to translate them to Windows equivalents (and back), but a lot will be lost in the transition. The end result is that the user/permissions will be seriously f** up if you do any serious maintenance.
    And I cannot even guess what the effect of symlinks can be.
  • The SATA connectors of the NAS nor those of the disk are designed to be taken apart regularly.

If you feel comfortable on the command line, you can do maintenance on the box itself, in an ssh shell. Then you can start the backup/whatever, and leave the box alone.
Quote:
So, is that all I have to do? Format the data part to ext3 and it'll just work, or did you mean something completely different?
No, you'll have to assemble the raid array, and format that. If you omit that, there will be no raid array anymore, and the NAS will suggest to reinitialize the whole thing.

BTW, it might be a good idea to backup the directory structure on the data partition, and put it back after formatting. I *think* the NAS will reconstruct it, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm 

Ah! I see!
Yes, I can mount ext2/3 disks with an IFS extension - but for the life of me, I have no idea how or if it handles symlinks. I can format it with partition wizard with any ext revision, that's not a problem. So, yeah, I'll probably copy all files and do the operation on linux after assembling and then I'll just use it under windows for copy/delete operations. I'm very careful at unplugging/replugging, but what you said is a concern of course, I could end up rendering the nas sata socket useless in the long run....

Many thx for the help!