General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm 

I'm a newbie and do not have much knowledge but need help

I have a NAS210 with 3tb seagate hd

I installed version 4:40 and I can not access it more

I start by zyxel utilit the meeting and having to update the firmware and get the message that it is not compatible

need to get at least hd files and then solve the problem of NAS

fix the problem if the NAS is easy tentalo can then access the same files by NAs

help me with what to do not even know where to start

sorry for my English

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm 

Before you installed 4.40 you could access that disk? And I guess the previous firmware was an older one?

Did you have any packages installed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Before you installed 4.40 you could access that disk? And I guess the previous firmware was an older one?

Did you have any packages installed?

before I had the previous firmware was 4.30 I think, always let updated

installed packages was dropbox, ftp and not remember whom more

I did a live cd with Ubuntu but not to access the hd, so find a partition to another station that the files can not

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm 

Your English is hard to read.

You failed in reading the disk using Ubuntu? Probably you first have to assemble the raid array:
Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda2 --run
Now you should be able to mount /dev/md0.

About the packages, starting with firmware 4.40 a new ABI is used, which makes all old packages more or less incompatible. I have read this sometimes can kill te webinterface, but your samba shares should still work.

You can try to create an FFP stick, which should give you telnet access, which might give you the tools to find out what the actual problem is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:

You failed in reading the disk using Ubuntu? Probably you first have to assemble the raid array:
Code:

About the packages, starting with firmware 4.40 a new ABI is used, which makes all old packages more or less incompatible. I have read this sometimes can kill te webinterface, but your samba shares should still work.

You can try to create an FFP stick, which should give you telnet access, which might give you the tools to find out what the actual problem is.

sorry my english

send me step by step comand lines for copy my files with telnet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 pm 

bladebull wrote:
Mijzelf wrote:

Code:

sorry my english

in Start utility i receive this msg in upgrade firmare "invalid firmware"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm 

bladebull wrote:
Did you also update your start utility? (Link)

Quote:
Assuming you have telnet access, the easiest way to copy the files is the use of an external USB disk. Plugin the disk, wait until it's automounted. Type ' ls /e-data/ ' to find it's mountpoint. It should be /e-data/<some-hex-code>

Now you can simply copy everything:
Code:
cp -a /i-data/md0/* /e-data/<some-hex-code>/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 pm 

Quote:
Assuming you have telnet access, the easiest way to copy the files is the use of an external USB disk. Plugin the disk, wait until it's automounted. Type ' ls /e-data/ ' to find it's mountpoint. It should be /e-data/<some-hex-code>

on ubuntu or Linux?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:46 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
bladebull wrote:
Did you also update your start utility? (Link)

Quote:

Now you can simply copy everything:
Code:
cp -a /i-data/md0/* /e-data/<some-hex-code>/

managed to access the NAS210 via browser
but the volume is down and I can not do I can not also scan and repair

nas210 this with the pendrive with the FFP-stick

what should I do now?

firwmare is 4.40(AFD.2)

following the instructions above do not got

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:44 pm 

Not sure if that helps but last 48h I was getting headaches while installing my new 4TB Seagate 4000DM000 into Zyxel NSA-210. I finally succeeded that's why I wrote walkthrough on my blog on how to step by step install larger than 2TB HDD in Zyxel NSA-210 with firmware version 4.41 (newest). I was failing initialization over and over with no success. Either Zyxel converted it to GPT by itself when data was cloned from old smaller HD. And that in turn broke it, or the HD couldn't be initialized. After mounting firmware img I saw a lot of scripts but guess the mounting goes before it, so it always must consist RAID Linear array to mount, meaning MD0.

The command I used to make new manually created partitions to work was:
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=linear --raid-devices=1 --name= --rounding=64K /dev/sdc2 --metadata=0.9 --force

also make sure You have GPT partition table created with parted or converted from MBR with gdisk.

Anyway, all the information I wrote is there:
http://krzyrio.blogspot.com/2014/04/zyx ... g-4tb.html

This may be not so well written, it's late already and I tried remembering a lot of stuff and wrote it in notepad :D

EDIT: Right now I'm testing it by putting the data on the HD there... 27GB went in so far without any problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 pm 

MrKrzYch00 wrote:
Not sure if that helps but last 48h I was getting headaches while installing my new 4TB Seagate 4000DM000 into Zyxel NSA-210. I finally succeeded that's why I wrote walkthrough on my blog on how to step by step install larger than 2TB HDD in Zyxel NSA-210 with firmware version 4.41 (newest). I was failing initialization over and over with no success. Either Zyxel converted it to GPT by itself when data was cloned from old smaller HD. And that in turn broke it, or the HD couldn't be initialized. After mounting firmware img I saw a lot of scripts but guess the mounting goes before it, so it always must consist RAID Linear array to mount, meaning MD0.

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=linear --raid-devices=1 --name= --rounding=64K /dev/sdc2 --metadata=0.9 --force

also make sure You have GPT partition table created with parted or converted from MBR with gdisk.

This may be not so well written, it's late already and I tried remembering a lot of stuff and wrote it in notepad :D

EDIT: Right now I'm testing it by putting the data on the HD there... 27GB went in so far without any problem.

i have files in my hd, i need recovery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:13 am 

bladebull wrote:
MrKrzYch00 wrote:

If You have problems with Your hd in nas I recommend You to try running linux (PC or VirtualBox image) and see if You can mount the drive and see data. And if possible You should backup it first, althought running command on Your linux machine to recreate RAID-Linear array that I posted should not damage the data.

EDIT: Without checking it in Linux You most likely won't make it working again with NAS itself.

EDIT2: About Your volume down issue. I had same thing when my nas booted 2nd time after clonning old HD with clonezilla. It changed partition table to GPT but it couldn't recreate RAID-Linear (MD0) volume that is NECESSARY for Your data to be accessed. Same thing happened when I cloned it changed MBR->GPT and resized partition.
NAS saw new size but it showed red icon with saying volume down, DON'T DELETE VOLUME! IT WON'T HELP! Then You will just delete it (if it works correctly) AND WON'T BE ABLE TO CREATE NEW ONE, DON'T DELETE VOLUME I REPEAT.
You should just recreate raid array on Linux box.
What You should try to do is, boot linux, go to terminal, change to root or use sudo before every command:
fdisk -l
(check if it recognizes Your HD size, it can be 1.8xxTB if it has GPT partition table and fdisk can't show it)
(check if You see something like /dev/md127 if not, them make sure no partition is mounted on that HD and run:)
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=linear --raid-devices=1 --rounding=64K /dev/sdc2 --metadata=0.9 --force
(WHERE sdc2 is Your 2nd partition on a drive, if Your drive is sdb then it's sdb2, using it without backup may have serious consequences, in my example though it worked without data loss)
then shutdown Your PC, take off HD and put in NAS and check if it turned green again, I used 4.41 firmware

EDIT3: If You want to backup and Your HD is not mounted automatically and Your fdisk -l command doesn't display /dev/md127 or /dev/mdNUMBERS then You need to manually mount the volume by running in terminal: mount -t xfs /dev/sdc2
if You disk is sdb then it's /dev/sdb2 and so on for other names.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:48 am 

If you have an FFP stick running, you should be able to login over telnet, using PuTTY, or something like that. Did you succeed in that?

If yes, can you post the output of
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /proc/mounts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:12 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
If you have an FFP stick running, you should be able to login over telnet, using PuTTY, or something like that. Did you succeed in that?

If yes, can you post the output of
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /proc/mounts

sh-4.1# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

7 0 109568 loop0
8 0 2930266584 sda
8 1 498688 sda1
8 2 2929766400 sda2
31 0 128 mtdblock0
31 1 1792 mtdblock1
31 2 1664 mtdblock2
31 3 448 mtdblock3
31 4 48 mtdblock4
31 5 8 mtdblock5
31 6 8 mtdblock6
9 0 2929766336 md0
8 16 1003520 sdb
8 17 15851 sdb1
8 18 987399 sdb2
sh-4.1# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid1]
md0 : active linear sda2[0]
2929766336 blocks 0k rounding

unused devices: <none>
sh-4.1# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock4 /zyxel/mnt/info jffs2 ro 0 0
/dev/sda1 /zyxel/mnt/sysdisk ext3 ro,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/loop0 /ram_bin ext2 ro 0 0
/dev/loop0 /usr ext2 ro 0 0
/dev/loop0 /sbin ext2 ro 0 0
/dev/loop0 /bin ext2 ro 0 0
/dev/loop0 /lib ext2 ro 0 0
/dev/ram3 /tmp ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /var ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /home ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /mnt ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /etc ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /dev ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /usr/local/etc ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /usr/local/var ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /usr/local/dmsf ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/mtdblock3 /etc/zyxel jffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /i-data ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/ram3 /e-data ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /e-data/535A-DD25 vfat rw,uid=99,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,
iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /e-data/c56f03aa-d63a-4b3e-b95d-9cdb739022b3 ext2 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/mtdblock3 /usr/local/apache/web_framework/data/config jffs2 rw 0 0
sh-4.1#

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:15 pm 

MrKrzYch00 wrote:
bladebull wrote:
MrKrzYch00 wrote:

If You have problems with Your hd in nas I recommend You to try running linux (PC or VirtualBox image) and see if You can mount the drive and see data. And if possible You should backup it first, althought running command on Your linux machine to recreate RAID-Linear array that I posted should not damage the data.

EDIT: Without checking it in Linux You most likely won't make it working again with NAS itself.

EDIT2: About Your volume down issue. I had same thing when my nas booted 2nd time after clonning old HD with clonezilla. It changed partition table to GPT but it couldn't recreate RAID-Linear (MD0) volume that is NECESSARY for Your data to be accessed. Same thing happened when I cloned it changed MBR->GPT and resized partition.
NAS saw new size but it showed red icon with saying volume down, DON'T DELETE VOLUME! IT WON'T HELP! Then You will just delete it (if it works correctly) AND WON'T BE ABLE TO CREATE NEW ONE, DON'T DELETE VOLUME I REPEAT.
You should just recreate raid array on Linux box.
What You should try to do is, boot linux, go to terminal, change to root or use sudo before every command:
fdisk -l
(check if it recognizes Your HD size, it can be 1.8xxTB if it has GPT partition table and fdisk can't show it)
(check if You see something like /dev/md127 if not, them make sure no partition is mounted on that HD and run:)
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=linear --raid-devices=1 --rounding=64K /dev/sdc2 --metadata=0.9 --force
(WHERE sdc2 is Your 2nd partition on a drive, if Your drive is sdb then it's sdb2, using it without backup may have serious consequences, in my example though it worked without data loss)
then shutdown Your PC, take off HD and put in NAS and check if it turned green again, I used 4.41 firmware

EDIT3: If You want to backup and Your HD is not mounted automatically and Your fdisk -l command doesn't display /dev/md127 or /dev/mdNUMBERS then You need to manually mount the volume by running in terminal: mount -t xfs /dev/sdc2
if You disk is sdb then it's /dev/sdb2 and so on for other names.

I have the ubuntu live usb

please pass me step by step what to do'm newbie