I can not access the hd on my NAS 210

Oxnas 810 based
Mijzelf

Re: I can not access the hd on my NAS 210

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:11 am

The file shouldn't be empty. You can see if dd is still running:

Code: Select all

ps | grep dd
ps shows all running processes, and 'grep dd' filters string-wise on everything which contains 'dd'.

If dd is no longer running, I guess it crashed silently. There is just not enough time to have it copied the whole disk. I know USB3 disks on an USB2 port can be a bit faster than USB2 disks on the same port, but it can never exceed 40-45MB/sec, as the port is not faster. Then you would still need about 16 hours.

I don't know how stable the USB implementation of the 210 is. Maybe it's just not stable enough to copy 3TB in one run?

If dd silently stopped, I guess you'll have to do the copy action on your PC. In that you need to connect both disks to the PC. In Linux you'll need to find out (using 'cat /proc/partitions') which partition is the data partititon, and which one is the usb disk. Then copy it. Unfortunately it is possible that you can't just copy the whole disk, as your usb disk is 4 sectors (2kB) smaller than your NAS disk.

Maybe this can also be done in Windows. Don't know about the features of dd.exe

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:26 am

Mijzelf wrote:The file shouldn't be empty. You can see if dd is still running:

ps | grep dd
ps shows all running processes, and 'grep dd' filters string-wise on everything which contains 'dd'.

If dd is no longer running, I guess it crashed silently. There is just not enough time to have it copied the whole disk. I know USB3 disks on an USB2 port can be a bit faster than USB2 disks on the same port, but it can never exceed 40-45MB/sec, as the port is not faster. Then you would still need about 16 hours.

I don't know how stable the USB implementation of the 210 is. Maybe it's just not stable enough to copy 3TB in one run?

If dd silently stopped, I guess you'll have to do the copy action on your PC. In that you need to connect both disks to the PC. In Linux you'll need to find out (using 'cat /proc/partitions') which partition is the data partititon, and which one is the usb disk. Then copy it. Unfortunately it is possible that you can't just copy the whole disk, as your usb disk is 4 sectors (2kB) smaller than your NAS disk.

Maybe this can also be done in Windows. Don't know about the features of dd.exe

sh-4.1# cat /tmp/dd.log
sh-4.1# ps | grep dd
sh-4.1#

MrKrzYch00

Post by MrKrzYch00 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:00 pm

bladebull wrote:
MrKrzYch00 wrote:Interesting, I wonder how it happened that installing new firmware corrupted the xfs partition... Maybe just a concidence?

I myself would still run dd on my local computer, the NAS is pretty slow and copying 3TB of data may take few days if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, bladebull, if You want to use Your computer at the same time then there is windows alternative for dd named HDD Raw Copy Tool I personally used at some point when retrying my preparations of 4TB hdd. It's GUI and can put it as RAW image file to be mounted later.

this problem is already firwmare 1 year

how do i use this hdd raw copy tool?

I need step by step and my English is very bad so the base of the google translation
Well, connect both drives to the computer, boot to windows, run HDD Raw Copy Tool, for example, portable version. On first screen select source drive being Your damaged disk, You can tell by looking at Your disk model on the drive itself and comparing it with MODEL in HDD Raw Copy Tool, press Continue and here You pick destination, for example Your USB drive or FILE to create img file You can later try mounting with linux - don't accidentally pick Your main computer drive since it may overwrite it and kill Your C:. As Mijzelf said, the limit in speed on NAS may be USB bus itself, so if Your drive is USB 2.0 You may gain none to a little speed. If it's USB 3.0 it will copy faster.

It's good if You:
- don't want to keep Your NAS running and can afford running Your computer till it's done,
- want to easly see status,
- make it faster if both drives are using SATA or external is USB 3.0, or both are connected to USB3.0 with SATA->USB 3.0 bridge.

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

I'm copying the disc

how do i get to see the content?

I use ubuntu and how?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

When copying is done, remove the original disk, put it in a safe, and have a look in /proc/partitions (cat /proc/partitions) which device is the copy. I don't know what you are exactly copying, so I don't know if it's a disk or a partition.
Assuming the copy is sdc, open a terminal and execute:

sudo su
# Assemble the raid array:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdc --run
# Run xfs_repair:
xfs_repair /dev/md0
# Create mountpoint and mount it:
mkdir -p /tmp/mountpoint
mount /dev/md0 /tmp/mountpoint

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Mijzelf wrote:When copying is done, remove the original disk, put it in a safe, and have a look in /proc/partitions (cat /proc/partitions) which device is the copy. I don't know what you are exactly copying, so I don't know if it's a disk or a partition.

sudo su
# Run xfs_repair:
xfs_repair /dev/md0
mkdir -p /tmp/mountpoint

before doing so wanted to check the contents of the disc I made copies

the seagate 3tb

how to check what was copied? I can get the files direct him?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:44 pm

bladebull wrote:before doing so wanted to check the contents of the disc I made copies

the seagate 3tb

how to check what was copied?
If the copy process itself didn't give any information on this, it's hard to check. The only way to check for sure is to do a disk compare, but that will take as long as copying. Or you could check some blocks, assuming that if 512 bytes at 1, 2 and 3 TB are equal, the whole disk will be equals.
I can get the files direct him?
No. The the copy is supposed to be exactly the same as the original, and so it contains a damaged filesystem, which first has to be repaired.

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

bladebull wrote:
Mijzelf wrote:When copying is done, remove the original disk, put it in a safe, and have a look in /proc/partitions (cat /proc/partitions) which device is the copy. I don't know what you are exactly copying, so I don't know if it's a disk or a partition.

sudo su
# Run xfs_repair:
xfs_repair /dev/md0
mkdir -p /tmp/mountpoint
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo su
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdc --run
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/sdc
mdadm: /dev/sdc has no superblock - assembly aborted
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

have to do so in the original hd or would this also?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 am

What and how did you copy exactly?

What is the output of ' cat /proc/partitions '?

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 am

Mijzelf wrote:What and how did you copy exactly?

What is the output of ' cat /proc/partitions '?

root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb --run
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdb
mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

7 0 862940 loop0
179 0 1931264 mmcblk0
179 1 1927164 mmcblk0p1
8 0 62522712 sda
8 1 358400 sda1
8 2 62161920 sda2
11 0 197320 sr0
8 32 3910656 sdc
8 33 3909317 sdc1
8 16 782782936 sdb
8 17 498688 sdb1
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 --run
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/sdb1
mdadm: /dev/sdb1 has no superblock - assembly aborted
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

i m in hd of NAS now

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 pm

cat /proc/partitions
There is no 3TB disk connected. The biggest one is sdb, a +/- 780 GB disk.

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Mijzelf wrote:
cat /proc/partitions
I disconnected and reconnected the 3tb

so he stayed last as sbd

I'm not understanding what could it be?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 am

sbd? Do you mean sdd or sdb?

Anyway, it's hard to help you. The action next to the copying is to run xfs_repair on either the original or the copy. I prefer the copy, because the root of the problem *could* be a hardware problem in the disk, in which case it probably cannot be repaired on that disk.

But I don't know exactly the state of your copy. It can be a copy of the disk, a copy of the data partition, or a copy of the assembled raid array. My original instructions were to copy the /dev/md0, which is the assembled raid array. I have the impression that you later copied on your PC, using Windows or Ubuntu, I asked you several times how and what you exactly copied, but never got an answer.

bladebull

Post by bladebull » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Mijzelf wrote:sbd? Do you mean sdd or sdb?
sorry SDB
Anyway, it's hard to help you. The action next to the copying is to run xfs_repair on either the original or the copy. I prefer the copy, because the root of the problem *could* be a hardware problem in the disk, in which case it probably cannot be repaired on that disk.
I'm sorry, I know this hard to help me

this attempt was above the original disc, but I also tried to copy the
But I don't know exactly the state of your copy. It can be a copy of the disk, a copy of the data partition, or a copy of the assembled raid array. My original instructions were to copy the /dev/md0, which is the assembled raid array. I have the impression that you later copied on your PC, using Windows or Ubuntu, I asked you several times how and what you exactly copied, but never got an answer.
I did not copied again, used only the first instruction

dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/sdc bs=1M >/tmp/dd.log 2>&1 &
ps | grep dd

when I used this command

the ZyXEL NAS Starter Utility

appeared that HD was online and had used 700 GB 2700GB (approximately 700GB/2700GB)

appeared before the HD was on line but was HD 0/0

this will be the subject shown with 700GB hd only?

or the smallest partition in hd which was copied?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Are you saying that your 3TB NAS disk shows up as a 780GB disk in /proc/partitions? In that case I guess your USB sata converter is not capable in handling disks >2TB. (That makes sense, BTW. On 2TB the number of sectors exceeds 2^32, which can easily cause a problem.)

You are using Google translate? It might be a good idea to also post the text in your own language. Alternative translation suggestions might make more sense to me.