General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 am 

Hi All,
I am giving up on using NSA 210 as my NAS drive. Now I want to use the hard drive that I was using in NSA210 through other means.
I took out the hard drive from NSA210. Docked this hard drive in a docking station and connected it to my Netgear WNDR4500 router through the USB port on the router. (This router is capable of sharing the hard drive on the network in this way. I have tried doing this with another spare hard drive I have).
The issue now is that the content which was in this hard drive (when inside NSA210) is not available through the docking station. It seems NSA210 has an encryption so the content is not accessible through the docking station.
Has anyone else tried to use NSA210 hard disk outside of NSA210? Is there any specific step needed before the hard disk can be used in this way?
Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:44 am 

The disk is not encrypted. But the data partition is a single disk raid1 array, and it has an xfs filesystem. Both are not supported by a common router. So you'll need to reformat the disk if you want to use it that way. (Or put OpenWRT on that router, but that's another story)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
So I tried various things and committed a grave mistake in the process.
I connected my drive from the USB drive to nsa210 and clicked on create USB volume in the admin interface. I know it's stupid of me. The drive got formatted and I have lost data. I Had taken backup but not for the whole drive....
I now need to recover the data from this disk. Any recommendations of how to do this? Any software that I can use? Or any place I can go to?
I currently am running easeus data recovery tool. It's been running for a couple of hours and has found only 1800 files. I stopped the software for once and checked the recovered files. They are really not the ones I am looking for but the tool needs another 18 hours to complete the recovery. I am hoping it will work but posting this here just in case anyone else has suffered with the same problem before.
I called zyxel and they did not have any solution. They haven't tested recovering data from their disks.

Appreciate any help in this matter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm 

If you created a new volume on that disk, you have basically put a different filesystem on it. That is irreversible. AFAIK the only way to recover files is by doing a low-level search, which is basically searching for a cluster of sectors which might be a file. That way you don't need any filesystem information.

I don't know easeus, but I guess it is a low level scanner. Another example is PhotoRec.

Quote:
the tool needs another 18 hours to complete the recovery.
An (USB2) disk does at max 25MB/sec, which is less than 100GB in an hour. So if this is a 2TB disk, 18 hours is to be expected for a single scan. To do low level recovery just the whole disk has to be read, as no information from the filesystem is available/can be used.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 pm 

I will try PhotoRec next if easeus doesnt work well.
A follow up question regarding filesystem. The disk volume was xfs (zyxel also calls it jbod) earlier and now it is NTFS. Does this cause data recovery problems? Should I convert the partition back to xfs and rerun the data recovery?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:35 am 

harjotb wrote:
A follow up question regarding filesystem. The disk volume was xfs (zyxel also calls it jbod) earlier
JBOD is not a filesystem, it's a RAID flavor. The partition contains a RAID array, which contains an xfs filesystem.
Quote:
and now it is NTFS. Does this cause data recovery problems?
No. The fact that it now has a different, empty, file system has caused the data loss. But it doesn't cause recovery problems.
Quote:
Should I convert the partition back to xfs and rerun the data recovery?
NO! Putting a new filesystem on a not empty disk is like putting a new random street map on an existing city. Most buildings are still there, others aren't, because someone has put a new street over it. And you can't find a particular building, because street names and numbering are different.
Putting just another random street map over the same city doesn't solve that problem. It actually worsens it, because now other buildings are trashed, without repairing the previous.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:10 am 

Thanks for all the help provided I have been able to recover the data.
The only problem now is that many of the video files have been corrupted. Now I am working to fix the corrupted video files.
For fixing corrupted AVI files I have found a free avi repair tool which along with Virtualdub works just fine.
MOV - I couldnt find any freeware tool for fixing mov files. Paid software like Remo MOV repair and Grau are able to do the work to a good extend.
3GP - Havent been able to find a tool to fix 3GP.
MPG - Havent searched much on MPG repairs.

Do you know of any software (preferably free) for fixing the video files?