General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: NSA210 problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:30 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
The major part of the firmware is loaded from harddisk, normally. So it's not surprising when not everything works without disk. Without harddisk the box must be able to start NDU agent, and an FTP server, and be able to partition/format the disk, so the NDU client is able to upload the disk-part of the firmware.

BTW, about name resolving, did you check the default gateway?

Quote:
On weekend I'll try to boot some busybox all-in-one kernel with high hopes of having the drivers. A friend of mine suggested to build a new kernel, the question is - are there some drivers available at least for 2.6.24-4 (one would guess for sure - hence it's GPL).
I'm not sure what you mean with drivers here. The box runs an Oxnas 810 SoC, and the *only* available Linux kernel (the Oxfort supplied 2.6.24.4) of course supports all devices in this SoC, sata, usb, fancontrol, nic and gpio.
There are some more Oxnas 810 based NASses, but they basically all use the same kernel. Well, some minor changes in gpio.
ZyXEL NSA221, Iomega Home Media, Sitecom MD-253/254 and Western Digital Mybook World Edition (white light).

You might be interested in this.

I think it pinged 8.8.8.8 so the gateway was set correctly, but I need to doublecheck this (was only a brief testing).
Exactly - with the drivers I mean sata, usb, fanc, nic and gpio - but I'd love to see the sources. The CPU is ARM based, so the guess would be some 3.x ARM kernel might actually work (considering it mounts root), which I'd like to try.

I tried to set the box with NSU with HDD installed aswell, though it didn't work. But I can try it once more - just to be sure

Post subject: Re: NSA210 problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm 

Quote:
but I'd love to see the sources
ftp://opensource.zyxel.com/NSA210/320AFD0C0/
Quote:
The CPU is ARM based, so the guess would be some 3.x ARM kernel might actually work (considering it mounts root), which I'd like to try.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. The setup code for different platforms is quite different. Here is some info on a newer kernel.