General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 pm 

Sorry if this has been asked over and over. Im trying to install transmission and have a couple of questions.
NSA210 ON LASTEST FIRMWARE 4.40
1. Will a web gui be used for transmission, this is preferred as i have no command line experience.
2. Do i install via FFP stick or FFP as zypkg confused?
3. Do i need to change the name to nsa210 in the download file?

I downloaded NSA-310, firmware 4.22 or older, on FFP-Stick version 2012-03-19 or newer and tried FFP stick but didnt change any thing within the files, is this even the correct file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm 

1) Transmission has a webinterface.
2) It's a matter of taste. It's the same FFP, with exactly the same possibilities, but the FFP-Stick runs from an USB stick, while the zypkg is installed on disk. The latter can prevent your disk from sleeping, depending on what you do with FFP. But the stick needs always to be plugged in, occupying an USB port, and maybe it looks messy.
3) For the 210 you don't need to rename anything.

Quote:
I downloaded NSA-310, firmware 4.22 or older, on FFP-Stick version 2012-03-19 or newer and tried FFP stick but didnt change any thing within the files, is this even the correct file?
I cannot even guess what you actually downloaded. NSA-310, firmware 4.22 or older, on FFP-Stick version 2012-03-19 or newer is a chapter in the Wiki, no script or something like that. You need to download FFPStick-2012-10-20.zip, and extract it to a stick. (Unless you are using the zypkg variant)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

Sorry for the very late reply, to be honest im struggling to get to grips with this. I have extracted the FFP-Stick files the the usb drive and put it into the rear USB port.
I have used the ffp-stick method but would prefer the hard install on the disk but this way seems the easier approach.

Ok now. This has created to 2 new folders which i can see via windows explorer and also on the 210 gui.
Now im at total lose what to do next. Does the command line interface automatically work or do i need to install another software with the ability to enter the commands?? Im on windows 8.
I have waited over 30 mins, but nothing?
Do i log on to the 210 and load something via the 2 new folders?
Cheers
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

UPDATE:

I have read a little more and it seems to be more of advantage to install the FFP zypkg variant, so im going to try this method instead. Hopefully i will get my head around it..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm 

http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP_as_zypkg << following this guide
i have clicked the web_prefix file from here ftp://ftp.zyxel-tech.de/2.new_mirror/NSA310/4.40/zypkg/
and saved the resulting page.ftp://ftp.zyxel-tech.de/2.new_mirror/NSA310/4.40/zypkg/web_prefix
i have put the web_prefix.txt file into \\NSA210\admin\zy-pkgs\

After that, go to the packages menu in the webinterface, and click 'Retreive list from Internet'. Now ffp should be in the list.

How/where do i find the above instruction???

Cheers

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm 

Enter the ip address of your nas in the address bar of a webbrowser, and use the 'Administrator login'. Goto Applications->Package.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Enter the ip address of your nas in the address bar of a webbrowser, and use the 'Administrator login'. Goto Applications->Package.

Great that's all working fine,. thank you kindly and some interesting apps which will come in use at a later date.

Now sorry to be a pain, but how do i go about installing transmission?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:35 pm 

Code:
slacker -i transmission

viewtopic.php?f=249&t=6239