General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm 

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this but here it goes:

I believe I have a issue with my USB storage device as I seem not to be able to get full speed working with it.

1. I have a Sitecom Router X8 AC1750 that I recently purchased.
2. I have a USB 3.0 WD Elements 2TB. This Storage unit is connected to the USB 3.0 port on the Router.
3. Have a wire LAN connection from the X8 Router to a Sitecom Homeplug 500Mbps
4. This connects to my PC, in another room

My idea would be to use the External Storage as the storage centre of my mp3 songs, making it available to all the PCs, Laptops, Telephones and Ipads available at home.

I believe I have it all connected properly. The transfer rates should be brutal as the hardware is top notch.

Using LanSpeedTest (lite) to determine speed on my home LAN, I can only reach some miserable 15.5Mbps Upload and 11Mbps Download, when connecting my PC to the external drive.

Can anyone help me?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am 

The router may be top notch, but it's still a router with a part time job as fileserver, and not a nas. Normally a router doesn't get high throughput as fileserver. On the other hand, this box has USB3 ports, which suggests that it should be able to saturate an USB2 port (at 25 MB/sec). But of course it can also be marketing.
Unfortunately I cannot find any reviews where the box' performance as fileserver is tested.
Quote:
I can only reach some miserable 15.5Mbps Upload and 11Mbps Download
Do you mean Mbit/sec or Mbyte/sec? In case of Mbyte/sec that is not bad, actually. That boils down to 150 Mbit upload, which might be the max of that homeplug set.

To really test the fileserver performance, you should connect your PC by a gigabit capable utp cable directly to the router.