General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:16 pm 

Hi All,
I bought an MD-253 last week as good as new. Not only the outside looked brand new, the system and connection logs were almost empty as well. After reset using the tiny hole in the back (pressed over 20 seconds) these logs were not wiped, neither did firmware upgrade wipe them. So the fact that there were few lines in them probably means that it was hardly ever used.

I installed one harddisk, 2TB, works like a charm. Put some music on it, Sonos can read it through the whole house, no problem so far.
Installed Twonky, put some video's on it. Our Sony Bravia TV shows the title list, but most "titles" are neither related to the filenames under Windows, neither recognisable as anything in the metadata. Some video's play as normal, some give only sound or video without sound, some do not start as all. I guess it would be wise to convert all video's to a file format/codec that would give correct title and that would play correctly, but advice would be appreciated.

I put a .torrent on it last night, this morning its status was 100%, seeding, but the downloaded files were invisible both to Twonky and Windows. After a reboot from both Windows and the NAS a folder /Bittorrent was visible in Windows, the files were there, I moved them to a folder that Twonky uses, but now the Bittorrent folder was once again not visible in Windows. After just a reboot of the NAS it's back... Is this the instability of this NAS as mentioned in several messages? Is there a way to get it more stable?

Is it safe to open a file on the NAS, edit it and save it back to the NAS or is it a matter of hope and pray that the NAS is visible from Windows when the edit is done?

BTW I would like to be able to access my files on the NAS from anywhere on the Internet. Is this possible?
bye
Maggy