General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 am 

I have a NAS MD-253 with 1TB HDD connected to a router.

The max speed that i get in a transfer is only 20 MB, shouldn't the speed be near to the 100 MB over an gigabyte network.

When i transfer data between two PC, with the same HDD, i get 80 MB

Whats the transfer rates in you system

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 pm 

In NASses like this (powered by an ARM SoC), the processor is the bottleneck in transferspeed, not the network or the HD. I don't exactly know which processor is inside, but I can tell you that 20MB/sec is not a surprising value.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am 

Man i wish i managed to squeeze 20 mb/s out of the NAS. With windows explorer i can get may 7 or 8 if i am lucky.
I got a gigabyte network set up. Router, switch, the whole shebang.
With total commander software i can get up to 10-11 but this is way below what i'd want. In my current setup at least.

I enabled jumbo frames but this doesnt speed up anything at all.

I know that the MD-253 is now a bargain bin item (50€) but is 20 mb/s seriously the highest i can get out of it?
Does anyone have any tips i could try, before shipping it back to the shop?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm 

Just bought the MD-235, my first NAS. I'm new to all of this but I'm disapointed on finding that the transfer speed over a Gigabit ethernet is abysmal. From windows explorer I only get 2 to 3 MB/s. Is this normal for NAS transfers or is it just a problem of the MD-235? If so.. I really dont' know if I can stream videos and music over the network which is one the goals. Also, I do high volume backups and I don't really want them to take days to do... Is there a fix for this?

(I have 2x 2TB Western Digital Greens in RAID1)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:12 am 

Needed to change from RAID1 to RAID0 (since I don't have so many vital data to back-up, better use other HDs for that...) so I was making a dump of current data.

Maximum transfer value I could obtain was 33MB/sec, I think this is partly due data being copied to a destination HD that has speed limits on writes, and partly due to poor CPU of the NAS. I even tried with two transfers on two different HDs, but the network transfer speed didn't change.

That's about 25% of the maximum expected value (somewhere around 120MB/sec).

Attaching an USB disk and copying files by means of shell (SSH) didn't help much either. Can't see the actual USB transfer rate, but I guess it's not more than 15/20MB/sec. Strangely enough, the CPU is not even totally busy (around 90%) so I think it's a chipset limit.

Yes, this NAS sucks. Will never buy anything again from Sitecom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm 

So the box sucks because it can't saturate a gigabit line? What did you expect for 50 euro's? And when it could, your network sucks because it cannot keep up with a budget NAS?

Actually I think 33MB/sec is not bad for an Oxnas based system.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
So the box sucks because it can't saturate a gigabit line? What did you expect for 50 euro's? And when it could, your network sucks because it cannot keep up with a budget NAS?

Actually I think 33MB/sec is not bad for an Oxnas based system.

1) I didn't pay it 50 euros at the time. I spent - my fault - 199€ for the box and one disk (1T WD Black) two years ago. At that time, before the floods in indonesia occurred, that HD was about 99€, so the box was 100€.

2) A gigabit LAN can be easily saturated when the chipset does it's job (have you ever heard about DMA?) I would expect at least 60/70MB/sec with my setup. Current HDs in RAID can easily reach the gigabit limit. 30Mb/sec is less than 300Mbits.

3) Sitecom was promising a white PSU to people who registered the product. Mine never arrived nor they replied my email. Very poor support.

4) the features advertised on the box do NOT work unless some hacking is done (itunes and twonky for instance)*.

What does work then? Samba shares *do* work, BitTorrent does, and ftp... DOES NOT if you use a manual IP. You have to hack it too. Printer server was not present when I bought the NAS, so I won't remark that it doesn't work too :D Really, I'm done with Sitecom.

Details of poor twonkyserver install follow.

* My MD253, no matter what reset I did, continued to reset DNSr and twonky restarted over and over again. It was impossible to see any movie for more than 1 minute. I had to hack its config files (thanks god they are now writable) to make it work correctly. Moreover, Twonky WON'T save its current configuration, since geniuses at Sitecom made it use the volatile FS on the NAS. So you can't even change your folder unless you consider it sane doing it every time you power on your nas. Plus, you can't have BitTorrent working *and* Twonky streaming at the same time: stutters are around the corner. Luckily, I managed to do this, changing Twonky process with a nice value of -19 ;-).

EDIT: I almost forgot:

5) firmware upgrade check has been broken until firmware 2.15.

6) the fan was TERRIBLY noisy without hacking it before firmware 2.15. Now the nas BURNS, but at least is silent.