So the box sucks because it can't saturate a gigabit line? What did you expect for 50 euro's? And when it could, your network sucks because it cannot keep up with a budget NAS?
Actually I think 33MB/sec is not bad for an Oxnas based system.
1) I didn't pay it 50 euros at the time. I spent - my fault - 199€ for the box and one disk (1T WD Black) two years ago. At that time, before the floods in indonesia occurred, that HD was about 99€, so the box was 100€.
2) A gigabit LAN can be easily saturated when
the chipset does it's job (have you ever heard about DMA?) I would expect at least 60/70MB/sec with my setup. Current HDs in RAID can easily reach the gigabit limit. 30Mb/sec is less than 300Mbits.
3) Sitecom was promising a white PSU to people who registered the product. Mine never arrived nor they replied my email. Very poor support.
4) the features advertised on the box do NOT work unless some hacking is done (itunes and twonky for instance)*.
What does work then? Samba shares *do* work, BitTorrent does, and ftp... DOES NOT if you use a manual IP. You have to hack it too. Printer server was not present when I bought the NAS, so I won't remark that it doesn't work too
Really, I'm done with Sitecom.
Details of poor twonkyserver install follow.
* My MD253, no matter what reset I did, continued to reset DNSr and twonky restarted over and over again. It was impossible to see any movie for more than 1 minute. I had to hack its config files (thanks god they are now writable) to make it work correctly. Moreover, Twonky WON'T save its current configuration, since geniuses at Sitecom made it use the volatile FS on the NAS. So you can't even change your folder unless you consider it sane doing it every time you power on your nas. Plus, you can't have BitTorrent working *and* Twonky streaming at the same time: stutters are around the corner. Luckily, I managed to do this, changing Twonky process with a nice value of -19
EDIT: I almost forgot:
5) firmware upgrade check has been broken until firmware 2.15.
6) the fan was TERRIBLY noisy without hacking it before firmware 2.15. Now the nas BURNS, but at least is silent.